January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:59:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 141588 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« on: June 14, 2022, 05:33:33 PM »

Bummed that tomorrow's hearing is while I'm working and I'll have to watch afterwards, but I definitely will be watching after work.

Looks like they will be focusing on possible criminal concerns tomorrow, based on what Ms Cheney said and the clip they chose.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 09:21:29 PM »

The hearing tomorrow was indefinitely postponed actually. I think that's for Thursday's hearing.

Yep, I just noticed now that it's for Thursday. Oops.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 08:58:01 AM »

FYI, Judge Luttig was not having health concerns. He chose to speak that way intentionally, and even made fun of himself a little in this thread explaining it:

I was driving while the hearing was going on, and listening to him was extremely frustrating, though for me it was mostly because he also seemed to not answer the questions being asked combined with the slow pace. He provided important information--just in a very round-about way. Watching the video when I got home, it was easier to handle, as then I could see he was choosing his words carefully, and his face indicated to me a sharp mind yet. :)

Looking forward to tomorrow's hearing, as each of these has had information that wasn't available to the public at the time.

Definitely been hearing several former prosecutors talking about the possibility of wire fraud charges, which is definitely interesting.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 01:11:31 PM »

Rusty Bowers (the Arizona House Speaker) is a very compelling witness.

I was just going to say the same. I may not agree with him on much politically, but I think his modesty and dedication to his oath make him one of the most compelling witnesses thus far.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 12:48:57 PM »

Wow. This is definitely heavy stuff.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 01:57:11 PM »

Now that the truth is out there, will others (Meadows?) be willing to speak up? I'm not optimistic, but now there's some cover for them.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 02:06:07 PM »

Wow, Hutchinson is 25? Like, she was a senior aide to Meadows presumably straight out of college?

She interned with Cruz and one other Republican first. Also, by December 2020, the administration was extremely short-handed as everyone was abandoning ship. That's not to say she wasn't qualified, but their need for people was quite strong.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 02:27:34 PM »

You know, I ironically wonder if Clinton ever feels regret in conceding that gracefully to Trump. Not to the point where she regrets not having her supporters storm the capitol, but regret in the sense that she didn't seriously push for recounts in WI, MI and PA. I ask because given everything that's happened since the election and especially given the darning stuff that has come out of Trump today, I can imagine Clinton being like "Man, maybe I should've more open about requesting that PA, WI and MI be investigated and recounted to the fullest extents. Maybe it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but there might've been a small chance all of this could've been prevented had I pushed for recounts in those states."

There was a recount of the presidential election in 2016 in Wisconsin. Jill Stein pushed it.

I'm pretty sure Clinton has 0 regrets on behaving appropriately. It definitely wouldn't have prevented anything related to January 6.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 06:12:12 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2022, 06:18:18 PM by Koharu »

I am skeptical. I'm fairly sure the J6 Committee verified this statement by questioning others about it, otherwise they wouldn't have asked her about it in the public hearing.

Edit: And it does appear that both Bobby Engel and Tony Ornato did speak to the committee, so I'm sure the committee had corroborating statements.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 08:43:49 PM »

It also sounds like Bannon wants to testify during one of the live hearings, rather than give a deposition. I absolutely would not put it past him to want to be able to say random stuff (even under oath) to try to discredit the hearings.

"Mr. Bannon is willing to, and indeed prefers, to testify at your public hearing."  https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/22082944-rjcostello-letter-to-chairman-thompson-07092022
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 09:29:09 PM »

It also sounds like Bannon wants to testify during one of the live hearings, rather than give a deposition. I absolutely would not put it past him to want to be able to say random stuff (even under oath) to try to discredit the hearings.

"Mr. Bannon is willing to, and indeed prefers, to testify at your public hearing."  https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/22082944-rjcostello-letter-to-chairman-thompson-07092022

I believe the committee is smarter than to give Bannon that kind of opportunity.

Agreed. Just reflecting on what his motivations might be.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 08:36:12 PM »

I find it interesting that it took years for the ex-Oath Keeper to recognize that the group held antisemitic views he found disturbing. I'm sorry, but what did he think he was getting into?

It's likely that he was happy to be a bigot when he signed up, but life experiences or things he saw changed his view and he was no longer comfortable with the bigotry he had previously been ok with. People can change for the better.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 12:50:23 PM »

And here's the NBC article referenced in the embedded tweet.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 10:15:50 AM »

And in response to movement against him, Trump is having his lawyers argue that he has "absolute immunity."

The document's argument starts out claiming that whether one agrees or disagrees with Trump, it is a generally accepted thing that he engaged in "patriotic" discourse. It then goes on to acknowledge that his discourse was "highly controversial" with his rivals.

I definitely object to Trump's discourse being "patriotic," at any rate.

Anyway, I don't see this actually accomplishing anything like what Trump wants it to accomplish, but it will be interesting to see the court's response to it.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 10:04:10 PM »

If this has already been posted, apologies. I didn't see it here.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies