Which East TN city would you rather reside in? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:48:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which East TN city would you rather reside in? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these cities/counties in Eastern Tennessee would you prefer to live in?
Knoxville / Knox County (R)
Knoxville / Knox County (D)
Knoxville / Knox County (I/O)
Chattanooga / Hamilton County (R)
Chattanooga / Hamilton County (D)
Chattanooga / Hamilton County (I/O)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which East TN city would you rather reside in?  (Read 567 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: January 21, 2022, 01:52:19 PM »

Chattanooga for me.  Knoxville is full of obnoxious UT fans. Wink
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »

During the years that I lived in Georgia, I would joke that it seemed like there was an ongoing conspiracy to convince me that Chattanooga was cool. People in Atlanta don't shut up about Chattanooga; they're always telling you that it's cool and affordable and close to great hiking. Traffic in Chattanooga is bad and I don't think it's nearly as cool as people want to believe it is (just from a sociological perspective, actually cool places don't tend to vote Republican), but it is a nice town and I've enjoyed the time I've spent there. When I would take road trips north, I would often stop in Chattanooga for breakfast on the way up or for dinner on the way back home. One regret I have is that I never made it out to Cloudland Canyon, which is in the vicinity.

By contrast, I've only so much as been through Knoxville once, and that was on a long-distance bus five years ago. At the time it struck me as the ugliest city I had ever seen, although I'd be willing to revisit that characterization. A friend of mine was a high school teacher in Knoxville for a few years and she liked it a lot, but on the whole I haven't heard people talk about Knoxville in anything like the tone they use when they talk about Chattanooga. I also don't really care for their shade of orange.

I'm willing to acknowledge that I don't know Knoxville well and set that equal, but even still, Chattanooga has the great municipal wi-fi. I don't know if that's something people elsewhere know about, but in Atlanta the wi-fi in Chattanooga is a constant subject of discussion. Probably more importantly, it's a lot closer to the big city. I'd take Chattanooga.

Chattanooga does have some nice places to visit (it's only about an hour and a half drive for me).  I've always liked the aquarium there more than the one in Atlanta.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 01:48:59 PM »

Idk, but either one would probably be better than Nashville or Memphis.

I have family in Memphis and spent a lot of time there as a kid, and it always seemed kind of backwards to me.  A relative from there used to say that Memphis really wants to be Atlanta when it grows up. Smiley  TBF, I haven't been there much since the late 70s (and not at all in the last ~30 years), so it's very possible that it's changed.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 07:18:17 PM »

I favor Knoxville because of my UT connections. 

Chattanooga has really come up over the past few years.  My one gripe with Chattanooga is the traffic I have to endure when I drive from Atlanta to Nashville or back.  I-24 can be a real disaster and there's really no alternative.

Agreed on the last point.  The I-24/75 interchange has been a horrible bottleneck for years.  Also, it seems like there is ALWAYS a wreck backing up traffic coming into Chattanooga on 24.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies