Which East TN city would you rather reside in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:57:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which East TN city would you rather reside in?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these cities/counties in Eastern Tennessee would you prefer to live in?
Knoxville / Knox County (R)
Knoxville / Knox County (D)
Knoxville / Knox County (I/O)
Chattanooga / Hamilton County (R)
Chattanooga / Hamilton County (D)
Chattanooga / Hamilton County (I/O)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which East TN city would you rather reside in?  (Read 563 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2022, 01:16:50 PM »

I decided to divide it by partisanship to see if there's a correlation.
As for me, Lean Knoxville.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 01:52:19 PM »

Chattanooga for me.  Knoxville is full of obnoxious UT fans. Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 02:01:03 PM »

During the years that I lived in Georgia, I would joke that it seemed like there was an ongoing conspiracy to convince me that Chattanooga was cool. People in Atlanta don't shut up about Chattanooga; they're always telling you that it's cool and affordable and close to great hiking. Traffic in Chattanooga is bad and I don't think it's nearly as cool as people want to believe it is (just from a sociological perspective, actually cool places don't tend to vote Republican), but it is a nice town and I've enjoyed the time I've spent there. When I would take road trips north, I would often stop in Chattanooga for breakfast on the way up or for dinner on the way back home. One regret I have is that I never made it out to Cloudland Canyon, which is in the vicinity.

By contrast, I've only so much as been through Knoxville once, and that was on a long-distance bus five years ago. At the time it struck me as the ugliest city I had ever seen, although I'd be willing to revisit that characterization. A friend of mine was a high school teacher in Knoxville for a few years and she liked it a lot, but on the whole I haven't heard people talk about Knoxville in anything like the tone they use when they talk about Chattanooga. I also don't really care for their shade of orange.

I'm willing to acknowledge that I don't know Knoxville well and set that equal, but even still, Chattanooga has the great municipal wi-fi. I don't know if that's something people elsewhere know about, but in Atlanta the wi-fi in Chattanooga is a constant subject of discussion. Probably more importantly, it's a lot closer to the big city. I'd take Chattanooga.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »

During the years that I lived in Georgia, I would joke that it seemed like there was an ongoing conspiracy to convince me that Chattanooga was cool. People in Atlanta don't shut up about Chattanooga; they're always telling you that it's cool and affordable and close to great hiking. Traffic in Chattanooga is bad and I don't think it's nearly as cool as people want to believe it is (just from a sociological perspective, actually cool places don't tend to vote Republican), but it is a nice town and I've enjoyed the time I've spent there. When I would take road trips north, I would often stop in Chattanooga for breakfast on the way up or for dinner on the way back home. One regret I have is that I never made it out to Cloudland Canyon, which is in the vicinity.

By contrast, I've only so much as been through Knoxville once, and that was on a long-distance bus five years ago. At the time it struck me as the ugliest city I had ever seen, although I'd be willing to revisit that characterization. A friend of mine was a high school teacher in Knoxville for a few years and she liked it a lot, but on the whole I haven't heard people talk about Knoxville in anything like the tone they use when they talk about Chattanooga. I also don't really care for their shade of orange.

I'm willing to acknowledge that I don't know Knoxville well and set that equal, but even still, Chattanooga has the great municipal wi-fi. I don't know if that's something people elsewhere know about, but in Atlanta the wi-fi in Chattanooga is a constant subject of discussion. Probably more importantly, it's a lot closer to the big city. I'd take Chattanooga.

Chattanooga does have some nice places to visit (it's only about an hour and a half drive for me).  I've always liked the aquarium there more than the one in Atlanta.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 03:08:24 PM »

Both are terrible. I would hate to live anywhere south of the Bluegrass.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 04:36:28 PM »

Chattanooga, probably, just for how hard it would be to live in Knoxville when you aren't a UT fan.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 05:12:01 PM »

Silent majority for Knoxville.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 03:56:16 PM »

Chattanooga for sure.

I used to stop in Knoxville all the time on Spring Break on my way to Asheville in my undergrad years...to put it dryly, even the boarded-up, winded areas like Johnson City or Bristol had more life.

Stopped in Chattanooga once with my then GF, it wasn't for very long, but it did look more appealing, and I heard great things about the area from the locals when I was visiting my then-GF's parents.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 03:56:54 PM »

Didn't you live in The Miss?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 05:21:53 PM »

Didn't you live in The Miss?
Indeed. The climate was intolerable, the rich whites were unsophisticated even by American standards (probably even worse than Scottsdale/Paradise Valley), and most of Jackson was scary. Having to drive to Clinton to get a bad Starbucks coffee and/or Chick-fil-a was not fun. Chris McDaniel was a friend and drinking buddy for a while, but honestly he's kinda gone off the rails and I don't even know what to say to him anymore.

But there were positives - some of the people I worked with (many Mississippi St alums, sadly) were very decent people, the Ole Miss sorority girls were beautiful but racist, I watched a Rebels-Bulldogs game at Dudy Noble Field, and I met my best friend (also just passing through) there. Overall, fond memories, but I don't feel any desire to move back to the Deep South.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 08:24:22 PM »

Idk, but either one would probably be better than Nashville or Memphis.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 08:34:52 PM »

Nashville is an overrated, but good city. Chattanooga is overrated and mediocre. Knoxville is just whatever. Give me almost any Big Ten or SEC college town over Knoxville any day.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 01:30:16 PM »

My East TN friends swear by Chattanooga, though I imagine they are somewhat biased.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 01:48:59 PM »

I have family in Memphis and spent a lot of time there as a kid, and it always seemed kind of backwards to me.  A relative from there used to say that Memphis really wants to be Atlanta when it grows up. Smiley  TBF, I haven't been there much since the late 70s (and not at all in the last ~30 years), so it's very possible that it's changed.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 04:18:18 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2022, 04:39:23 PM by DT »

just from a sociological perspective, actually cool places don't tend to vote Republican

TBF, Biden won Chattanooga city 58-39.  Nashville proper wasn't really that much different, 65-31 for Biden
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 04:27:52 PM »

In the economic development/placemaking literature, Chattanooga is almost universally exalted as an exact case study in successful urban renewal.  The city had lost 20% of its population between 1960 and 1990 before the previously mentioned Tennessee Aquarium (the largest aquarium in the world when it opened in 1993) opened and became a major linchpin of the downtown/riverfront redevelopment process.   

Chattanooga is definitely the cooler of the two.  This is still East TN, however, and I'd still take Atlanta or Birmingham over it any day.   
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 06:23:10 PM »

just from a sociological perspective, actually cool places don't tend to vote Republican

TBF, Biden won Chattanooga city 58-39.  Nashville proper wasn't really that much different, 65-31 for Biden

In fairness, Nashville's city limits include more places that would be viewed as suburban than Chattanooga's do.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 06:24:28 PM »

What about Knoxville proper?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 10:12:04 PM »

What about Knoxville proper?

57-41 Biden.

Chat is 55/9/31 White/Hispanic/Black and Knoxville is 68/8/19. With Knoxville so similar it seems it would have more white liberals to make up for have fewer African-Americans. This reflects its larger college population.
Make America Grumpy Again
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2022, 11:14:33 PM »

Chattanooga, although both cities seem nice
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 04:36:20 PM »

Chattanooga (not a Tennessee fan)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 07:12:48 PM »

I favor Knoxville because of my UT connections. 

Chattanooga has really come up over the past few years.  My one gripe with Chattanooga is the traffic I have to endure when I drive from Atlanta to Nashville or back.  I-24 can be a real disaster and there's really no alternative.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2022, 07:18:17 PM »

Chattanooga has really come up over the past few years.  My one gripe with Chattanooga is the traffic I have to endure when I drive from Atlanta to Nashville or back.  I-24 can be a real disaster and there's really no alternative.

Agreed on the last point.  The I-24/75 interchange has been a horrible bottleneck for years.  Also, it seems like there is ALWAYS a wreck backing up traffic coming into Chattanooga on 24.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2022, 07:27:42 PM »

Once I got off on some state road north of Atlanta which took me into Alabama near Mentone, where I met up with I-59 to get back to I-24.  Maps said it would be 15ish minutes longer, but I wasn't feeling the stress of driving in heavy traffic that day.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies