SENATE BILL: ..."Fair De-registration Rights Act" (Vetoed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:38:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: ..."Fair De-registration Rights Act" (Vetoed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: ..."Fair De-registration Rights Act" (Vetoed)  (Read 2870 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »

Look, rage quitting is too bad, but this will make it a nightmare. We either should get rid of deregistrstion or just leave it as it is. I'd be fine with just repealing it entirely.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:54:49 AM »

Nay

If we get rid of de-registration, we will keep hearing from people who want it back.

We can't please everyone. Wink

But seriously, I think the only reasonable solutions to this is to either kept it as is or repeal it entirely. Marokai and I did it as is to guard against people rage quitting and then saying loljk a few hours later after getting their ego stroked. The period is to discourage deregistration.

I'd favor an outright repeal, but I can see shua's point.  
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »

Are the people who have been deregistered under the act still deregistered if we repeal it?
I would assume so.

I would think so, but if we repeal it, they will obviously be allowed to reregister without a waiting period.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »

I don't know about zombies joining the game. They can do it now anyway. But as I said, I am fine keeping deregistration as is, but if we want to change it, we need to repeal it entirely. I don't like the idea of a 24 hour period where you can rejoin if you deregister. I think that will be more ripe for abuse than anything.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:40:30 PM »

As I said, I am okay with deregistration as it is currently, but I don't favor giving someone 24 hours to fully decide to deregister. If you want to revoke your citizenship, you better be damn sure.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »

I'm sort of lost. What is the bill we are voting on aiming to do?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 02:12:24 PM »

Abolish Deregistration  Sad

What was wrong with the current law? I much prefer abolishing deregistration to having it with a 24 hour waiting period, but I'm fine with the law as it is.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »

Abolish Deregistration  Sad

What was wrong with the current law? I much prefer abolishing deregistration to having it with a 24 hour waiting period, but I'm fine with the law as it is.

Don't ask me, I oppose changing the current law at all.  I think you should be allowed to deregister with no waiting period.  At the risk of being melodramatic, actions have consequences.  Anyone who changes their mind afterward can re-register in a few months.

Right, I don't care to change it. I just oppose allowing someone 24 hours to decide to come back. If you are going to deregister, you need to understand it's for the long haul.

I'll see what the Senate decides before deciding what I want to do. I just know I don't favor waiting periods.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »

Abolish Deregistration  Sad

Don't ask me, I oppose changing the current law at all.  I think you should be allowed to deregister with no waiting period.  At the risk of being melodramatic, actions have consequences.  Anyone who changes their mind afterward can re-register in a few months.

The bill was introduced so that popular atlasians, like maxwell, griffin etc who de-register can change their mind so that atlasia isn't stuck without them for months. It's original phrasing would have just encouraged people to quit for the attention but abolishing de-registration  accomplishes the same thing without the drawbacks. It's worth noting that  the only people who de register are those who will return (like people who start I'm leaving threads on FC), and if people actually want to leave they just drift away. So abolishing de registration would save the RG time, would allow popular atlasians who in the heat of the moment leave to return and wouldn't actually harm people who genuinely want to leave.

Right, I know why it was introduced, which is why I said, if we are going to do this, just abolish deregistration entirely. Don't make the RG's life more difficult my imposing a 24 hour waiting period after deregistering. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Amendment to the "Fair De-registration Rights Act:

Aye (5): bore, Goldwater, NC Yankee, Tmthforu94, and TyriontheImperialist
Nay (4): Mr. X, shua, Talleyrand and TNF
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (1): DC al Fine

The bill has passed adn is presented to the President for executive action,

I'm vetoing this bill.

Marokai and I passed de-registration to give people the chance to de-register from the game immediately. If we repeal the practice, people will just start crying for it again and we will start this whole process over again.

What happened to Maxwell and others is unfortunate and I wish they could return to the game, but de-registration is de-registration. People need to understand it is a permanent choice, and not something you can simply say loljk guys after getting your ego stroked for a few hours.

If I repealed this law, we'd have people asking for it back in a few months because X or Y sent them a PM asking for a vote when they just wanted to be left alone to tend to their garden and tomato plans. Originally I was leaning toward repealing it, but at the end of the day, this law isn't broken. No need to fix it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies