SENATE BILL: ..."Fair De-registration Rights Act" (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:09:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: ..."Fair De-registration Rights Act" (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: ..."Fair De-registration Rights Act" (Vetoed)  (Read 2886 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 06:09:01 PM »

I ask unanimous consent to waive cloture and proceed immediately to a final vote, Senators have 24 hours to object.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »

I have seen nothing to indicate any impact that deregistration has had on the number of zombies.

I really hope the Senate does not pass this. If people want to leave the game, they should be able to leave without having to wait 6 months and putting up with unwanted PMs.

They don't have to wait six months. They can leave immediately. All the six months does is give thme a chance to change their minds before losing their membership.

A few seconds use of the delete key in exchange for the freedom to return as soon as you want to. Sounds like quite a bargain to me. 

No, the six months is how long it takes for them to be deregistered by not having voted in that time, which is the only way they can be deregistered if this passes, except for being banned from the forum.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »

I have seen nothing to indicate any impact that deregistration has had on the number of zombies.

I really hope the Senate does not pass this. If people want to leave the game, they should be able to leave without having to wait 6 months and putting up with unwanted PMs.

They don't have to wait six months. They can leave immediately. All the six months does is give thme a chance to change their minds before losing their membership.

A few seconds use of the delete key in exchange for the freedom to return as soon as you want to. Sounds like quite a bargain to me. 

No, the six months is how long it takes for them to be deregistered by not having voted in that time, which is the only way they can be deregistered if this passes, except for being banned from the forum.

Yes, I understand that Senator. My point is why does the presence of a registration here, preclude someone from leaving? They can just leave the forum immediately and be gone. They will still be on the rolls for six months true, and they can change their minds like I said in that time, but if they remain so determined to leave, that continued registration doesn't render them any less "gone".
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »

Seeing no objection, cloture is waived. A final vote is now open on the underlying legislation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »

Yes, I understand that Senator. My point is why does the presence of a registration here, preclude someone from leaving? They can just leave the forum immediately and be gone. They will still be on the rolls for six months true, and they can change their minds like I said in that time, but if they remain so determined to leave, that continued registration doesn't render them any less "gone".

The fact that people complain they can't deregister when we don't have that means that there is an important difference to some people. I don't mind the random PMs asking me to vote for some weirdo but other people clearly do.  And a person may like to continue to be on the forum without being part of Atlasia.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 07:38:47 PM »

NAY
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 07:40:30 PM »

As I said, I am okay with deregistration as it is currently, but I don't favor giving someone 24 hours to fully decide to deregister. If you want to revoke your citizenship, you better be damn sure.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »

NAY
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2014, 07:48:06 PM »

The fact that people complain they can't deregister when we don't have that means that there is an important difference to some people. I don't mind the random PMs asking me to vote for some weirdo but other people clearly do.  And a person may like to continue to be on the forum without being part of Atlasia.

People complain about a lot of things though, shua. Do we automatically do something because someone complains? As I see it, the inconvenience of having to delete a few PMs, which takes mere seconds is far less then the inconvience they would experience if their mind were to change and they not be able to return for a while. It is a profitable exchange that expands their range of actions.

Of course this forum has plenty of people who could list complaining as their career and so I would think that regardless which path we take someone isn't going to be happy with it. In that instance, I think the most free range of action is best.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »

NAY
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 08:08:52 PM »

AYE
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »

We should have changed the name for this. It's kind of ridiculous to call the removal of the option of deregistering "fair de-registration rights."
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »

I'm sort of lost. What is the bill we are voting on aiming to do?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2014, 01:57:17 PM »

Abolish Deregistration  Sad
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2014, 02:12:24 PM »

What was wrong with the current law? I much prefer abolishing deregistration to having it with a 24 hour waiting period, but I'm fine with the law as it is.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »

What was wrong with the current law? I much prefer abolishing deregistration to having it with a 24 hour waiting period, but I'm fine with the law as it is.

Don't ask me, I oppose changing the current law at all.  I think you should be allowed to deregister with no waiting period.  At the risk of being melodramatic, actions have consequences.  Anyone who changes their mind afterward can re-register in a few months.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »

Abolish Deregistration  Sad

Don't ask me, I oppose changing the current law at all.  I think you should be allowed to deregister with no waiting period.  At the risk of being melodramatic, actions have consequences.  Anyone who changes their mind afterward can re-register in a few months.

Right, I don't care to change it. I just oppose allowing someone 24 hours to decide to come back. If you are going to deregister, you need to understand it's for the long haul.

I'll see what the Senate decides before deciding what I want to do. I just know I don't favor waiting periods.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »

Don't ask me, I oppose changing the current law at all.  I think you should be allowed to deregister with no waiting period.  At the risk of being melodramatic, actions have consequences.  Anyone who changes their mind afterward can re-register in a few months.

The bill was introduced so that popular atlasians, like maxwell, griffin etc who de-register can change their mind so that atlasia isn't stuck without them for months. It's original phrasing would have just encouraged people to quit for the attention but abolishing de-registration  accomplishes the same thing without the drawbacks. It's worth noting that  the only people who de register are those who will return (like people who start I'm leaving threads on FC), and if people actually want to leave they just drift away. So abolishing de registration would save the RG time, would allow popular atlasians who in the heat of the moment leave to return and wouldn't actually harm people who genuinely want to leave.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »

The bill was introduced so that popular atlasians, like maxwell, griffin etc who de-register can change their mind so that atlasia isn't stuck without them for months. It's original phrasing would have just encouraged people to quit for the attention but abolishing de-registration  accomplishes the same thing without the drawbacks. It's worth noting that  the only people who de register are those who will return (like people who start I'm leaving threads on FC), and if people actually want to leave they just drift away. So abolishing de registration would save the RG time, would allow popular atlasians who in the heat of the moment leave to return and wouldn't actually harm people who genuinely want to leave.

Right, I know why it was introduced, which is why I said, if we are going to do this, just abolish deregistration entirely. Don't make the RG's life more difficult my imposing a 24 hour waiting period after deregistering. Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »

The bill was introduced so that popular atlasians, like maxwell, griffin etc who de-register can change their mind so that atlasia isn't stuck without them for months. It's original phrasing would have just encouraged people to quit for the attention but abolishing de-registration  accomplishes the same thing without the drawbacks. It's worth noting that  the only people who de register are those who will return (like people who start I'm leaving threads on FC), and if people actually want to leave they just drift away. So abolishing de registration would save the RG time, would allow popular atlasians who in the heat of the moment leave to return and wouldn't actually harm people who genuinely want to leave.

Right, I know why it was introduced, which is why I said, if we are going to do this, just abolish deregistration entirely. Don't make the RG's life more difficult my imposing a 24 hour waiting period after deregistering. Tongue

I would prefer the current system to the original proposal, but prefer abolishing it entirely too both.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »

So far we only have five votes on this bill.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »

NAY
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P