Eastleigh By-Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:32:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Eastleigh By-Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Eastleigh By-Election  (Read 21168 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »

Anyways, the LDs to come first or second, Labour third or fourth, UKIP anywhere from second to fourth, Tories anywhere from first to fourth. If this not very daring prediction be wrong I'll attempt to eat my infraction points.
I declare victory. Cheesy
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2013, 07:38:49 AM »

Wonder if the Liberals can hold on here in 2015...

Any thoughts?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2013, 07:40:54 AM »

Wonder if the Liberals can hold on here in 2015...

Any thoughts?
Unless UKIP improves even further or the LDs deteriorate even further (and, let's face it, a correction to the mean is more likely than a continued trendline on either of these but especially the first), I'd consider them clearly favored to.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »

Lowest winning percentage in a by-election since universal suffrage. No. Since universal male suffrage.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2013, 09:44:54 AM »

I think this is a bit disappointing for Labour, but it isn't the sort of seat that really matters to them.  Presumably some people who might have moved back to them from the LDs decided to stick with the lesser of two (or three) evils, and I can understand why they might have done this though I don't think I would have myself.  However, I think there's some anecdotal evidence that they also lost out to UKIP.

I think that's about right. It would have been nice to have done better, but I don't think the expense of making a serious effort could have been even half justified.
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »

Obviously the more significant candidates there are, the lower the percentage vote needed to win a first past the post election. I seem to recall that there were results in Papua New Guinea where single member, first past the post seats were won with as little as about 5% of the vote.

In the UK there have been general election results, where the winning candidate had a lower percentage vote than in the Eastleigh by-election; but probably not in England. Belfast North in the 1979 general election, is the lowest I have found in a quick and superficial search (27.6% according to F.W.S. Craig).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »

Portsmouth Central in 1922:

F.J. Privett, Tory, 26.9%
T. Fisher, National Liberal, 26.8%
T.A. Bramsdon, Liberal, 24.9% (incumbent)
A.G. Gourd, Labour, 21.4%
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2013, 04:24:24 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_by-election_records#Lowest_winning_share_of_the_vote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election_records#Lowest_winning_share_of_the_vote

As I thought, the record is Inverness, Nairn & Lochaber in 1992, won by the Lib Dems on just 26% of the vote in a very close four-way battle with Labour, the SNP and the Tories.  The English record appears to be the Portsmouth Central result already given by Al.

There were actually three seats in England in 2010 which were won on lower shares than in Eastleigh: Norwich South (LD 29.4%), Brighton Pavilion (Green 31.3%) and Oldham East & Saddleworth (Labour 31.9%; overturned on petition of course).  And there were four more (Great Grimsby, Hampstead & Kilburn, Brum Hall Green, Derby North) where the winning shares weren't much higher.

Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »

Hopefully they'll become more common and deliver the entire UK PR.
adma
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »

Well, I was the first in here to suggest, in effect: "Watch UKIP.  Seriously, watch UKIP".  (Look: when you're a S/SE England coastal Lab-wasteland/LD-held seat at a time when LD's even deeper in the overall pits than the Tories and it's a byelection...you can't get much more "watch UKIP" than that.)
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »

Obviously the more significant candidates there are, the lower the percentage vote needed to win a first past the post election. I seem to recall that there were results in Papua New Guinea where single member, first past the post seats were won with as little as about 5% of the vote.

In the UK there have been general election results, where the winning candidate had a lower percentage vote than in the Eastleigh by-election; but probably not in England. Belfast North in the 1979 general election, is the lowest I have found in a quick and superficial search (27.6% according to F.W.S. Craig).

Norwich South and it's not to find one in the Scottish results through the years.
Benj

« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:27 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2013, 10:14:35 PM by Benj »

Norwich South and it's not to find one in the Scottish results through the years.

Brighton Pavilion and Oldham East and Saddleworth in 2010 alone as well in England. And Argyll and Bute in Scotland in 2010 as well.

By my count, there have been 5 such results in England total (the 3 in 2010 and 2 in 1922, in Portsmouth Central and East Ham North). There have also been 7 such results scattered through the years in Scotland, 2 in Wales, and 3 in Northern Ireland.
saintjuste1791
Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: 4.17

« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2013, 07:15:51 AM »

As I thought, the record is Inverness, Nairn & Lochaber in 1992, won by the Lib Dems on just 26% of the vote in a very close four-way battle with Labour, the SNP and the Tories.  The English record appears to be the Portsmouth Central result already given by Al.

There were actually three seats in England in 2010 which were won on lower shares than in Eastleigh: Norwich South (LD 29.4%), Brighton Pavilion (Green 31.3%) and Oldham East & Saddleworth (Labour 31.9%; overturned on petition of course).  And there were four more (Great Grimsby, Hampstead & Kilburn, Brum Hall Green, Derby North) where the winning shares weren't much higher.

I thought the point was the lowest by-election margins, so the 1992 and 2010 results you mention do not count...
adma
« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »

Haven't there also been some "rogue independent Labour incumbent" circumstances in 1992 and the like driving winning shares really far down?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 05:11:47 PM by YL »

Haven't there also been some "rogue independent Labour incumbent" circumstances in 1992 and the like driving winning shares really far down?

I guess you're thinking of Coventry South East, 1992:

Jim Cunningham (Lab) 11,902 (32.6%)
Martine Hyams (Con) 10,591 (29.0%)
Dave Nellist (Ind Lab) 10,551 (28.9%)
Tony Armstrong (Lib Dem) 3,318 (9.0%)
Norman Tomkinson (NF) 173 (0.5%)

In general elections, that's the sixth lowest English entry on the Wikipedia list (after the two in 1922 and three in 2010) and it's just higher than the Eastleigh winning share.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies