Eastleigh By-Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 08:30:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Eastleigh By-Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Eastleigh By-Election  (Read 21283 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »

No, not racist at all...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »

Labourlist reports that John O'Farrell has indeed been selected as the Labour candidate.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »

Labourlist reports that John O'Farrell has indeed been selected as the Labour candidate.

Oh I remember him. A two books for 7 pounds deal in Waterstones sort of guy. Good writer.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 05:38:45 PM »

Seems to be a pretty decent pick for a no-hoper like Eastleigh. Only bad for the LibDems really.
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 10:10:45 PM »

The English Democrats ("Putting England First!"), will stand here.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »

Also known as the BNP.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:45 AM »

I think they prefer, "infiltrated by the BNP"
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »

Wessex Regionalists Colin Bex
Elvis Loves Pets David Bishop
Peace Jim Duggan
Beer, Baccy and Crumpet Ray Hall
Official Monster Raving Loony 'Howling Laud' Hope
Conservative Maria Hutchings
UKIP Diane James
National Health Action Iain MacLennan
Christian Kevin Milburn
Labour John O'Farrell
TUSC Daz Procter
Independent Danny Stupple
Lib Dems Michael Thornton
English Democrats Michael Walters
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »

For f's sake.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »

So no Mr Mozzarella after all, but more than enough joke candidates without him.

No Green, but the NHA candidate has stood for them in the past and may still be a member.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »

"Beer, Baccy and Crumpets" it's a stroke of genius. And my retirement plans.
stepney
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »

"Crumpet", not "crumpets". He may mean something different to what you think/hope he means.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »

Is that an intention to defect?
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »

Is that an intention to defect?
They'd never notice.that I'd left Cheesy
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »

A little jibe sent from Mr. O'Farrell to Maria Hutchings

doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »

That's potentially against electoral  law. It doesn't appear to have the correct electoral imprint on any of the documents, so breaks the relevant regulations on electoral practice.

Were I the LibDem team, I'd be ensuring the police are made aware of the Labour Party breaking the Representation of the People Act, 1983.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »

That's potentially against electoral  law. It doesn't appear to have the correct electoral imprint on any of the documents, so breaks the relevant regulations on electoral practice.

Were I the LibDem team, I'd be ensuring the police are made aware of the Labour Party breaking the Representation of the People Act, 1983.

It's not campaign material though. It's a personal gift, funded out of O'Farrell's own pocket. A joke.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »

It's not campaign material though. It's a personal gift, funded out of O'Farrell's own pocket. A joke.

From the moment a writ is called, all behaviour by candidates are put under the rules on election expenditure. Any material directly related to the election, especially that sent from a candidate, is subject to electoral expenditure rules. If a candidate has sent a communication during election time relating to other election candidates, as he has, and has done so without the full and proper electoral administration, then he has potentially broken the law.

Joke or not, it's the regulations.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2013, 01:48:36 PM »

Would suggest that getting all anally legalistic would not be such a clever idea for the LibDems in this particular by-election.

Anyways, hopefully O'Farrell continues to troll throughout the campaign.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »

Would suggest that getting all anally legalistic would not be such a clever idea for the LibDems in this particular by-election.

Anyways, hopefully O'Farrell continues to troll throughout the campaign.

I would suggest that the Labour Party were very careful of themselves during the Oldham East byelection for the same reasons.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »

From the moment a writ is called, all behaviour by candidates are put under the rules on election expenditure. Any material directly related to the election, especially that sent from a candidate, is subject to electoral expenditure rules. If a candidate has sent a communication during election time relating to other election candidates, as he has, and has done so without the full and proper electoral administration, then he has potentially broken the law.

Joke or not, it's the regulations.

He can share a cell with Chris Huhne then.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »

Has stood in six general elections, going back to 1979.  Most recently seen challenging Cameron in Witney, after the Wessex Regionalists decided that Oxfordshire was part of Wessex.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Serial by-election candidate, most recently in Corby, and general election candidate dating back to Tatton in 1997, usually under various registered descriptions of the registered political party called the Church of the Militant Elvis.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Against gay marriage.  Google searches on the name find various hits related to churches.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »

All That's Left profile of the constituency.  Includes local election maps, and a bit of history.

Eastleigh News interview with the Beer, Baccy and Crumpet Party candidate.  He claims Ed Miliband has been stealing his policies...
stepney
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2013, 05:53:32 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2013, 02:25:54 PM by stepney »

That's potentially against electoral  law. It doesn't appear to have the correct electoral imprint on any of the documents, so breaks the relevant regulations on electoral practice.

If either your lot or my lot really wanted to get antsy about this puerile trolling, I'd focus less on the imprint and more on the fact that there's no clear indication it came from the Labour Party, but a clear indication it came from the Lib Dems. There's a tipping point where "Lib Dems putting out leaflets with red mastheads" tips into passing off. I don't know what the relevant legislation is but I suspect it's RotPA 1983 also. I believe the Lib Dems in dear old Tower Hamlets got into hot water over a series of "Labour Rose" leaflets in the early 90s.

Not that I could condone doing that because I would be a great big miseryguts for doing so and trollolol #ofarrell.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »

Both Labour and Tory candidates have made controversial remarks in the past (and more recently for the Tory) which are influencing the campaign. Firstly the Tory has only recently argued that she's sent her son to private school because state education would be impossible to allow him to be a surgeon; in the past she's said:

"With an increasing number of immigrants and asylum seekers then the pot is reduced for the rest of us.

Mr Blair has got to stop focusing on issues around the world such as Afghanistan and Aids in Africa and concentrate on the issues that affect the people of Middle England, like myself who pay the taxes which keep the country going."

"I don’t care about refugees. I care about my little boy and I want the treatment he deserves."

"I am a pro-lifer and would have voted to reduce it as far as possible."

The Labour candidate has also made some controversial statements in his book:
"I would invent all sorts of elaborate scenarios whereby she would cease to be Prime Minister of Britain. Some involved a sombre deputation from the 1922 Committee  [of Tory MPs] and others involved me popping up with a machine-gun at the Conservative Party Conference.

In October 1984, when the Brighton bomb went off,  I felt a surge of excitement at the nearness of her demise and yet disappointment that such a chance had been missed.

This was me – the pacifist, anti-capital punishment, anti-IRA liberal – wishing that they had got her. “Why did she have to leave the bathroom two minutes earlier?”  I asked myself over  and over again."

"I settle on the uncomfortable and convoluted position of wanting Great Britain to lose the [Falklands] war for the good of Great Britain.  I was against the war, against people’s reaction to the war, even against the outcome of the war."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies