The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:47:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread)  (Read 44014 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 06:12:37 AM »

I saw it at midnight. I thought it was brilliant. I have a lot more to say but I ended up working a 12 hour shift prior to watching it so I'm pretty beat.

Also, I can't believe the news about the shooting... pretty horrifying.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2012, 02:55:26 PM »

Headed to work. Wish me luck. I'm not really sure what the hell to expect now.

Btw, they are pulling advertisements for the movie off television.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2012, 12:41:21 AM »

Without getting too into spoilerish stuff, I just have to say that the fight scenes between Batman and Bane were so damn good. Nolan's ability to film a fight has improved markedly since Batman Begins.

Anyway, how do you guys rank the three movies?

For me, I'm thinking:

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins

Very small gaps between each of them though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2012, 12:21:25 AM »

Without getting too into spoilerish stuff, I just have to say that the fight scenes between Batman and Bane were so damn good. Nolan's ability to film a fight has improved markedly since Batman Begins.

Anyway, how do you guys rank the three movies?

For me, I'm thinking:

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins

Very small gaps between each of them though.

I think your signature comparing Romney to a murderer is disrespectful to the victims of the murders in Colorado. 

That's nice. I can't say I really care. I am slightly curious to know what the hell Mitt Romney has to do with the victims in Colorado though? You are aware Bane is a fictional character and it's just a joke too, right?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2012, 04:27:45 AM »

The shooting appears to have impacted the box office for this in a very, very negative way. It'll still be big but it certainly won't be challenging most of the major records including The Avengers opening weekend.

It's a far better movie than The Avengers in my opinion. Bummer.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »

I don't really agree that the film is unambiguously right-wing but I can see how one might interpret it that way. Also, there is no chance of it being the highest grossing film of the year now. It barely beat The Dark Knight's OW with an extra four years of inflation behind it. The shooting had a major impact on it. The Avengers will be #1 for the year.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »

Interestingly I had the Gangster Squad trailer, which I heard was being pulled before it because of the scene shooting up a movie theater.

Gully and Beet really like to overanalyze comic book movies, and Frank Miller's politics obviously don't drive every work he creates.

Miller was a liberal when he was creating his best work in the 80s anyway. Something as inconsequential as 300 is definitely not worth arguing over.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »

This article/review is much better.

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/18/the_dark_knight_rises_christopher_nolans_evil_masterpiece/
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »

You may want to white out that last bit, King (although I guess most of us who wanted to see this have seen it at least once by now).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »

I have a queston.

Bane told Batman that he was born in the dark. Except we all know that he is not the child of the pit. So why did Bane seem to suggest he was. I didn't get the feeling that Tate/Bane were actively trying to trick Bruce into thinking Bane was the pit-child, because it doesn't really matter that much to their plan. So was it just a continuity error? Am I missing something?
Well, the thing is, in the comics Bane really was born in a prison. He was the son of an English mercenary too. Only the mercenary was a character called King Snake, not Ra's Al Ghul. So my interpretation of it was that Bane's background was very similar to Talia's and that was part of the reason why he bonded with her and became her protector in the prison. They really should have done a better job of clarifying that though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the answer. Smiley

You're welcome. Smiley
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »

I have a queston.

Bane told Batman that he was born in the dark. Except we all know that he is not the child of the pit. So why did Bane seem to suggest he was. I didn't get the feeling that Tate/Bane were actively trying to trick Bruce into thinking Bane was the pit-child, because it doesn't really matter that much to their plan. So was it just a continuity error? Am I missing something?
Well, the thing is, in the comics Bane really was born in a prison. He was the son of an English mercenary too. Only the mercenary was a character called King Snake, not Ra's Al Ghul. So my interpretation of it was that Bane's background was very similar to Talia's and that was part of the reason why he bonded with her and became her protector in the prison. They really should have done a better job of clarifying that though.

I got the sense that it was a Darth Vader-esque "true from a certain point of view" quote. That is, the masked villian "Bane" was created in the prison, even if the person he was before wasn't born there.

That's definitely a possibility too.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »

Not in the slightest.  I rather enjoyed it.

People seem to have split on it. I liked it for the most part. It sounded better in some scenes than others though. For instance, it sounded a lot better in the scene where he's whipping Batman's ass than it did during the plane heist.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »

Don't know how it sounds in English, but his German one was quite fitting for the movie. Just that our new cinema here had extremely loud speakers. But otherwise, Bain's voice sounded like it belongs to Till Lindemann from Rammstein (maybe he actually dubbed it ... ? Tongue)

You should hear it in the French version. He sounds like a demon in that.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2012, 05:34:04 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2012, 03:26:43 PM by Eraserhead »

Just seen this. Got to say:

You'd have to take that nuke a clean 30 miles away at least to minimise the damage

The movie was certainly not without some plot holes and logical leaps.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2012, 03:49:06 AM »

Well, I had a lengthy review written out for this film.  But then I realized this isn't imdb.com so I'll just leave a few sentences worth of summation:

This is a really good film guys.  You should go see it.  It doesn't suck.  I'd rank it either #3 or #4 for "Best Batman Ever".

Thank you Mr. Nolan sir.  You gave me back my faith in humanity.

Which ones do you put ahead of it?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2012, 05:06:59 AM »

Just saw it.  Okay, I was impressed.  And yes, I thought it was better than the last one, which frankly I found difficult to follow and was put off by its strange, episodic format.  This one was far more... holistic.  It did seem like Batman himself didn't really get as much screen time though.

Interesting. I've met very people who put it ahead of The Dark Knight. What did you think of Batman Begins?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »

Obama (who is known to be something of a comic book fan) saw it and really dug Catwoman:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/08/06/the-dark-knight-rises-president-obama-likes-catwoman/
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2012, 06:24:26 AM »

Saw this last evening, and enjoyed it, but thought The Dark Knight was more interesting.

I'm not very familiar with the comic and the history of the villains.  I understand how Bane and Talia are tied together, but I didn't really understand the storyline behind Talia's father and how she is fulfilling his mission or dream by doing all this.  Can someone help me connect the dots there?  Thanks!

Have you seen Batman Begins?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »

I would definitely check it out. Your enjoyment of this last movie will likely increase after you see it... and it's a great movie in its own right.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »

No offense to anvi whatsoever, but I genuinely cannot understand how anybody can watch a latter part of a trilogy without having seen an earlier part first.

And yet, he's clearly not alone. Just compare the box office grosses for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2013, 08:31:12 AM »

We might not be done with Nolan Batmans yet, folks.  Nolan is going to make a Justice League movie if Man of Steel proves a success.

http://collider.com/justice-league-christopher-nolan-christian-bale/

Which means the ending was Blake just becoming Robin not the next Batman and they didn't actually settle on the ridiculed idea of Bruce spending his entire life unnoticed in Europe.

Or perhaps Blake is Gotham's Batman now and Bruce is the world's Batman.

Anyway, I won't believe this rumor until there's some kind of official announcement. I have a hard time believing Nolan would want to take all of this on (even if he's just the producer). I think he's probably done with superhero movies for the foreseeable future. It would be awesome though, for sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies