The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:06:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread)  (Read 43501 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2012, 04:53:56 AM »

Also if it's eight years after the last movie, wouldn't that make it set in 2016? That would make Catwoman 30 rather than 26, closer to Anne Hathaway's real age (she can easily pass for either though so no big deal.)

Actually, I believe that in TDK, they say that it's only been about a year since Batman Begins, so I guess the timeline would be something like:

2005 Batman Begins (at least from the time Bruce returns to Gotham and becomes Batman)
2006 The Dark Knight
2014 The Dark Knight Rises

But when do they say what Catwoman's age is?  I don't remember that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2012, 06:54:56 AM »

There is one thing that kind of really bugged me (big spoiler so I'm white texting it):

The death of Bane. When I saw it I just kind of assumed he died because Batman was harming his mask and he was going crazy, but thought the film never addressed it. It wasn't until afterwards when I read some other things when I realized Catwoman killed him when she rescued Batman, but that's basically a blink and you miss it scene. I'll pay more attention next time I see it, but I'm surprised by the lack of focus on such a big deal.

Yes, given how big a character he was his death was almost missed. While he got thrown to the wall when Selina burst in, that hasn't stopped him before, so it seemed as if a scene was missing.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #277 on: July 23, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »

Also if it's eight years after the last movie, wouldn't that make it set in 2016? That would make Catwoman 30 rather than 26, closer to Anne Hathaway's real age (she can easily pass for either though so no big deal.)

Actually, I believe that in TDK, they say that it's only been about a year since Batman Begins, so I guess the timeline would be something like:

2005 Batman Begins (at least from the time Bruce returns to Gotham and becomes Batman)
2006 The Dark Knight
2014 The Dark Knight Rises

But when do they say what Catwoman's age is?  I don't remember that.

Her date of birth was on the screen when Bruce pulled up her file. It was something September 1985.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2012, 12:28:29 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 04:19:47 PM by Iatrogenesis »

Haven't seen it... probably not going to see it. First two films were terrible rubbish tbh. Can anyone tell me if for the first time ever in a Christopher Nolan film there is even a semi-convincing female character in it?

Oh yeah, and just to rile everyone up this.

EDIT: Oh, and having read the Frank Miller link in the article, I now want BRTD to instantly apologize to me for slagging me off for everything I ever said about 300.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »

What's a semi convincing female?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »

Superhero myths definitely have a right-wing tint, in that they ask us to believe in a fantasy superman(or men, or occasionally women) to save us and protect us from evil. If anything it can even be compared to being 'saved' by Jesus. He must die so that we may live, the corrupt people do not deserve the noble hero, yet he must give everything, and so on and so on. The only exception I would say might be X-Men, because the whole humans vs. mutant dynamic they have going on there. But the traditional superheroes- Batman, Superman, and Spiderman, fall into this pattern.

In any case, after this, I can hardly see how anyone could accuse Hollywood of being uniformly liberal. This is going to be the second-highest grossing film of the year, possibly the highest grossing, and it is unambiguously right-wing. There's even an apologia for the bank bailouts in there.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #281 on: July 23, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »

I don't really agree that the film is unambiguously right-wing but I can see how one might interpret it that way. Also, there is no chance of it being the highest grossing film of the year now. It barely beat The Dark Knight's OW with an extra four years of inflation behind it. The shooting had a major impact on it. The Avengers will be #1 for the year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »

Avengers will be #1 for the year, and TDKR will most likely be #2.  It's possible TDKR slips to #3 if The Hobbit does significantly better than expected.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2012, 05:16:36 PM »

Its not bad by any measure but I think it ranks as the weakest of the series.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #284 on: July 23, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »

Interestingly I had the Gangster Squad trailer, which I heard was being pulled before it because of the scene shooting up a movie theater.

Gully and Beet really like to overanalyze comic book movies, and Frank Miller's politics obviously don't drive every work he creates.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #285 on: July 23, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »

Interestingly I had the Gangster Squad trailer, which I heard was being pulled before it because of the scene shooting up a movie theater.

Gully and Beet really like to overanalyze comic book movies, and Frank Miller's politics obviously don't drive every work he creates.

Miller was a liberal when he was creating his best work in the 80s anyway. Something as inconsequential as 300 is definitely not worth arguing over.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #286 on: July 23, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »

I don't even
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #287 on: July 23, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »

This article/review is much better.

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/18/the_dark_knight_rises_christopher_nolans_evil_masterpiece/
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #288 on: July 23, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »

Miller was a liberal when he was creating his best work in the 80s anyway. Something as inconsequential as 300 is definitely not worth arguing over.

Is there a debate over Frank Miller I missed? 'Cause I want in.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »

I'm not really interested in 300, more so in showing the awfulness of the films associated with Frank Miller and the Comic book genre spawn that he helped so much fostered into the world. (It wouldn't bother be so much really if it weren't for the fanboys).

Already quoted the Jacobin piece earlier... I think it rather amusing as long as you realize what exactly they are trying to say...
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #290 on: July 24, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »

I think it's better than BEGINS but not as good as TDK. It clearly has it's own issues and problems but there's a lot of great stuff in it. I definitely have to see it again soon.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #291 on: July 25, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »

It's clearly meant to be a book-end with Begins, if you consider the tone and structure. TDK is much more a typical superhero film, so I think it's a bit unfair to compare BBor TDKR to TDK, since they are such different films.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #292 on: July 25, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »

It's clearly meant to be a book-end with Begins, if you consider the tone and structure. TDK is much more a typical superhero film, so I think it's a bit unfair to compare BBor TDKR to TDK, since they are such different films.

Being that they're part of the same trilogy, I think it's OK to compare them.

I'd also argue that BEGINS was the most typical superhero movie of all of them.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #293 on: July 25, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »

I think so too. Begins seemed the most stereotypical of them all as a super hero movie. TDK was a crime drama/thriller and TDKR was just an epic film. They all three seem so different in terms of how they feel but they are all great films. I'm looking forward to seeing it again this week.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #294 on: July 25, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2012, 11:28:09 PM by King »

I saw this film in 15/70mm IMAX today and... IT WAS A DISASTER.  Bane and Gordon were completely inaudible.  What I could understand of them, I already knew they said from when I saw it the first time.  I would blame the theater, but I know a lot of people couldn't make heads or tails of it in IMAX.  

Sound mixing is definitely the biggest weakness of this film.  Followed by it probably needed 30 minutes more of prologue to introduce Blake, Kyle, and Tate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #295 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »

You may want to white out that last bit, King (although I guess most of us who wanted to see this have seen it at least once by now).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2012, 10:05:09 PM »

I just saw it, and am I the only one here who was disturbingly reminded of opebo when Bane was giving his speech on the football field and during the sentencing of that guy? Also, that Batman statue they unveiled at the end looks like the JFK portrait.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »

I have a queston.

Bane told Batman that he was born in the dark. Except we all know that he is not the child of the pit. So why did Bane seem to suggest he was. I didn't get the feeling that Tate/Bane were actively trying to trick Bruce into thinking Bane was the pit-child, because it doesn't really matter that much to their plan. So was it just a continuity error? Am I missing something?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

I think I'll be taking the boy to see this Sat morning.  $4.50 for regular, $8.50 for IMAX....is the IMAX version worth it?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »

I think I'll be taking the boy to see this Sat morning.  $4.50 for regular, $8.50 for IMAX....is the IMAX version worth it?

Jesus Christ movie tickets are cheap in Nebraska...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies