The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:49:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread)  (Read 43497 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »

That's the pre-noon price.  Between noon and 5, they are $6.75 and $10.75.  After 5 they are $9.50 and $13.50.  Still probably cheaper than yours, but probably closer.  But most everything else is cheaper here too...but then again we have to live in Omaha. Wink
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #301 on: July 27, 2012, 02:06:09 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2012, 07:56:29 AM by Mr. Morden »

You guys would never believe how expensive movie tickets are in Sydney.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #302 on: July 27, 2012, 06:51:38 AM »

You guys would never believe knew how expensive movie tickets are in Sydney.

It wasn't all that long ago they had "Cheap Tuesdays"at $5 for any session, any movie, any time on a Tuesday.

That said, have you done Gold Class yet?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #303 on: July 27, 2012, 08:03:55 AM »

You guys would never believe knew how expensive movie tickets are in Sydney.

It wasn't all that long ago they had "Cheap Tuesdays"at $5 for any session, any movie, any time on a Tuesday.

That said, have you done Gold Class yet?

No, isn't that like $35 or something?

Many years ago, when I lived in Minnesota, I did once go to a theater where you sat at tables and had food delivered to your seat, which I guess is like Gold Class.  But this one wasn't nearly as expensive, because it was a budget theater, showing movies that had already been in wide release for about 5 months or so.

Btw, I had another thought about TDKR.  If something like the nuclear hostage crisis happened in real life, how do you think the US government would handle it?  Have some snipers covertly make their way into Gotham, and then try to assassinate Bane and as many of his henchmen at once as possible, in the hopes that you'll get whoever it is that has the trigger?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2012, 04:59:07 AM »

Yeah, $35 is probably right, maybe $40? More once you've paid for food and a glass of wine or two, or beer, or whatever takes your fancy. When we do it, we usually make a night of it - cocktails in the bar area outside the actual cinema first, nachos or pizza, (or both!) Or something like that once we're in, plus a champagne once the movie starts, followed by a glass our two of red half an hour or an hour into the movie. I think it is the seating, rather than the ability to eat regular food and drink booze, is what really sets it apart from regular movies, however. The recliners are just so much more comfortable than normal cinema seating. Consequently, they have fewer seats - I think two, four, four, two, for four our five rows. We only do it once out twice a year, though, for very big movies, because it's so much more expensive.

Palace/Dendy cinemas are also licensed to serve alcohol, but I don't think it's seat service, like in Gold Class, and just regular seating. They also tend to show more artsy movies and foreign films.

In Melbourne, there is The Astor. It's old and just the one screen, all 1920, art deco style, and generally shows older movies. Great place, though, and cheap. They typically have two movies on the night, and an intermission in between. If you're ever in Melbourne, you should check it out.

On topic  I loved the French Revolution aspects, and therefore I particularly enjoyed the Tale of Two Cities quote, it seemed so relevant. Bane playing with the string during the mock trial... do you think that was a reference to the old ladies knitting under the guillotine?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #305 on: July 28, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »

I have a queston.

Bane told Batman that he was born in the dark. Except we all know that he is not the child of the pit. So why did Bane seem to suggest he was. I didn't get the feeling that Tate/Bane were actively trying to trick Bruce into thinking Bane was the pit-child, because it doesn't really matter that much to their plan. So was it just a continuity error? Am I missing something?
Well, the thing is, in the comics Bane really was born in a prison. He was the son of an English mercenary too. Only the mercenary was a character called King Snake, not Ra's Al Ghul. So my interpretation of it was that Bane's background was very similar to Talia's and that was part of the reason why he bonded with her and became her protector in the prison. They really should have done a better job of clarifying that though.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #306 on: July 28, 2012, 12:40:04 PM »

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the answer. Smiley
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #307 on: July 28, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the answer. Smiley

You're welcome. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #308 on: July 28, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »

Just watched it. It wasn't bad, but for some reason I was expecting something different. There are some interesting ideas, but I felt the characters weren't as developed as they could have been. Bane just looks like some random Unabomber, just a bit more sadist, and the "woman behind the man" doesn't have any actual motivation apart from following her father's legacy (and since I don't know the Batman universe very well, I would have appreciated a bit more explanations about Raz Al Gul and the Shadow League Whatever). Otherwise, the plot was interesting and suspenseful enough. Good movie overall.

From time to time, I felt the movie sounded like a strawman against lefties. Tongue I mean, even discounting Batman's whole premise (a philantropic billionaire who acts outside of the legal framework)... It's just that Bane's speeches about the people rebelling against their exploiters and taking what belong to them, the opening of jails, and the whole "people's tribunals" makes it look like the villains are basically evul soshulistz. Tongue I know I'm over-interpreting, but still that was awkward.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »

I have a queston.

Bane told Batman that he was born in the dark. Except we all know that he is not the child of the pit. So why did Bane seem to suggest he was. I didn't get the feeling that Tate/Bane were actively trying to trick Bruce into thinking Bane was the pit-child, because it doesn't really matter that much to their plan. So was it just a continuity error? Am I missing something?
Well, the thing is, in the comics Bane really was born in a prison. He was the son of an English mercenary too. Only the mercenary was a character called King Snake, not Ra's Al Ghul. So my interpretation of it was that Bane's background was very similar to Talia's and that was part of the reason why he bonded with her and became her protector in the prison. They really should have done a better job of clarifying that though.

I got the sense that it was a Darth Vader-esque "true from a certain point of view" quote. That is, the masked villian "Bane" was created in the prison, even if the person he was before wasn't born there.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2012, 06:08:49 PM »

Planning on seeing it a second time in about an hour and a half.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »

I have a queston.

I got the sense that it was a Darth Vader-esque "true from a certain point of view" quote. That is, the masked villian "Bane" was created in the prison, even if the person he was before wasn't born there.

That's definitely a possibility too.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #312 on: July 29, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »

It starts here only on the 24th, but I'll probably watch it on the 28th - which is a Saturday.

Watched it yesterday. An amazing movie, but the sound system of our new cinema in Zell am See was so extremely loud that our ears almost started to bleed, considering Bain's voice and the action scenes.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: July 29, 2012, 12:34:14 AM »

My ticket was 9.50€, which is about 11.70$ - in the 9th row.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #314 on: July 29, 2012, 05:47:39 AM »

My ticket was 9.50€, which is about 11.70$ - in the 9th row.

The normal evening ticket price for adults at the theater on my street is $18.50.  And that's Australian dollars, so it's even a bit more if you convert to US $.  If you go to a 3D showing, it's even more.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #315 on: July 30, 2012, 10:14:11 PM »

MOTHER OF GOD I JUST SAW IT AND
AND
A
AND
I
OH MY GOD IT WAS AMAZING
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #316 on: July 30, 2012, 10:25:57 PM »

Was anyone else a little off-put by Bane's voice?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #317 on: July 30, 2012, 10:49:54 PM »

Not in the slightest.  I rather enjoyed it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #318 on: July 30, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »

Not in the slightest.  I rather enjoyed it.

People seem to have split on it. I liked it for the most part. It sounded better in some scenes than others though. For instance, it sounded a lot better in the scene where he's whipping Batman's ass than it did during the plane heist.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »

I thought it sounded amazing during the heist.  I really never had a problem with it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2012, 11:44:24 PM »

Loved Bane's voice. Just found it a little tough to understand at points. But I think that added to the experience, in a way.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #321 on: July 31, 2012, 12:09:53 AM »

Don't know how it sounds in English, but his German one was quite fitting for the movie. Just that our new cinema here had extremely loud speakers. But otherwise, Bain's voice sounded like it belongs to Till Lindemann from Rammstein (maybe he actually dubbed it ... ? Tongue)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #322 on: July 31, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »

Don't know how it sounds in English, but his German one was quite fitting for the movie. Just that our new cinema here had extremely loud speakers. But otherwise, Bain's voice sounded like it belongs to Till Lindemann from Rammstein (maybe he actually dubbed it ... ? Tongue)

You should hear it in the French version. He sounds like a demon in that.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #323 on: July 31, 2012, 06:08:32 AM »

I certainly was at first, but I think it worked for the movie.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #324 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:25 AM »

I watched the movie dubbed but, yes, in French too he sounded a bit silly.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies