Rand Paul Wants To Abolish The Americans With Disabilities Act!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:37:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rand Paul Wants To Abolish The Americans With Disabilities Act!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Author Topic: Rand Paul Wants To Abolish The Americans With Disabilities Act!  (Read 30889 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »

Are you saying that you believe that tens of millions of people having equal rights, the right to vote, the right to live their lives without facing institutionalized, state-supported discrimination and harassment, all of that liberty, is not worth the liberty that some (and, until you give us concrete examples, hypothetical) white business owners had to surrender?

Did those business owners really have to surrender those rights in order for tens of millions of people to have other rights?  Why was that part necessary?
Otherwise I would have to say that yes you have a point.  However, I believe it was a very low move to include the provision about business owners, even if it meant no more state sponsored discrimination and harrassment.
Believe me, issues like Civil Rights aren't black and white to me, I actually do think about the outcomes.  The fact that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 had a net good effect in regards to state sponsored discrimination doesn't change the fact that it was wrong of the government to force individual business owners to give up their rights to conduct business the way they please.
I can say that if I were in Congress I would've cast an "abstain" vote simply because to this day I don't know what exactly to think of the CRA of 1964.  Sometimes I'm pro, sometimes I'm against, right now I'm in the middle.
Other libertarians probably disagree.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »

God, if this thread is an indication of what's to come for the next six months...

I will say that freedom is subjective, though. Who's to say someone's legal freedom to discriminate against a disabled person is more valuable than that disabled person's right to live in a society where being discriminated against is legally not tolerated?

There is no right to not be discriminated against.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And you know all this how?

Racism is bad. Violating individual freedom is just as bad.

You've still not given us a SINGLE CONCRETE EXAMPLE of an individual's freedom that the Civil Rights Act violated.

Any private business that has ever been sued by the EEOC has had it's rights violated.

Here's a list.

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/12-23-09a.cfm

Why those government bastards. Obviously women should have no protection from sexual harassment. A man's right to inappropriately touch and ogle a woman in the work place should not be infringed!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »

Isn't it kind of absurd that we're holding a debate on the merits of the Civil Rights Act? And it's not even just Libertas...Mechaman has similar feelings.

WTF people?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »

God, if this thread is an indication of what's to come for the next six months...

I will say that freedom is subjective, though. Who's to say someone's legal freedom to discriminate against a disabled person is more valuable than that disabled person's right to live in a society where being discriminated against is legally not tolerated?

And you know all this how?

Racism is bad. Violating individual freedom is just as bad.

You've still not given us a SINGLE CONCRETE EXAMPLE of an individual's freedom that the Civil Rights Act violated.

Any private business that has ever been sued by the EEOC has had it's rights violated.

Here's a list.

So in all those cases you believe that the liberty of the business owner to discriminate against minorities is more important than the liberty of the people suing to have equal access and treatment?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »

Says... you. Why do you think your personal opinions on freedom and rights is the correct one?

And you know all this how?[/quote]

I've seen your pictures, read your posts about yourself, I know you go to University, I know you're educated, I know you're well off because you can afford higher education, a computer, the internet, and probably more. No one would think twice about you if they saw you walking down the street, or in an airport, or anywhere else. You are privileged.

Racism is bad. Violating individual freedom is just as bad.[/quote]

Racism is bad... but if someone is being oppressed by a majority class, that's legally okay?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »

Isn't it kind of absurd that we're holding a debate on the merits of the Civil Rights Act? And it's not even just Libertas...Mechaman has similar feelings.

WTF people?

I know, it's like some bizzare comedy sketch. Have we stepped back in time forty years?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »

Says... you. Why do you think your personal opinions on freedom and rights is the correct one?

These are not merely my opinions but rather views rooted in the objective nature of freedom.

Alright, kinda creepy...

A private business choosing who it wants to hire does not constitute "oppression".
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »

WTF people?

I know, I'm so OFFENDED, I'm going to cry. Don't we know that such discussion is outside the boundaries of respectable politically-correct debate? WTF people?

This is the 21st century, freedom and objectivity are out the window.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:45 PM »

Are you saying that you believe that tens of millions of people having equal rights, the right to vote, the right to live their lives without facing institutionalized, state-supported discrimination and harassment, all of that liberty, is not worth the liberty that some (and, until you give us concrete examples, hypothetical) white business owners had to surrender?

Did those business owners really have to surrender those rights in order for tens of millions of people to have other rights?  Why was that part necessary?
Otherwise I would have to say that yes you have a point.  However, I believe it was a very low move to include the provision about business owners, even if it meant no more state sponsored discrimination and harrassment.
Believe me, issues like Civil Rights aren't black and white to me, I actually do think about the outcomes.  The fact that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 had a net good effect in regards to state sponsored discrimination doesn't change the fact that it was wrong of the government to force individual business owners to give up their rights to conduct business the way they please.
I can say that if I were in Congress I would've cast an "abstain" vote simply because to this day I don't know what exactly to think of the CRA of 1964.  Sometimes I'm pro, sometimes I'm against, right now I'm in the middle.
Other libertarians probably disagree.

So should businesses be able to discriminate in hiring? I can try and understand why forcing businesses to serve everyone was not that "important". At least not to the degree to take away their freedom of association. But what about hiring? If people cannot get jobs due to the color of their skin, they are relegated to second class citizenship. There is no way to get around that. And if someone supports that, even if it is out of "principles", they are aiding and abetting that behavior.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »

WTF people?

And this is exactly why Paul is going to crash and burn. This issue is electric. It gets people energized to the max and public opinion is not on the side of Paul and Libertas. You've done it again tea partiers. I look forward to Senator Conway.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »

If you'll forgive the bad pun, there may be a gold mine waiting for Conway in certain parts of the state if he has the sense to press Paul on whether he thinks Massey Energy should similarly be free to make its own decisions about mine safety.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »

You can't force people to respect the civil rights of others at federal gunpoint.

Actually, yes, you can. Why do you think Eisenhower sent troops to Little Rock?

Respectfully, a temporary fix at best, brittain33, unless you think Little Rock has seen the light.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »

WTF people?

I know, I'm so OFFENDED, I'm going to cry. Don't we know that such discussion is outside the boundaries of respectable politically-correct debate? WTF people?

As always, you're putting words in my mouth. I never disputed your freedom to discuss anything you want. I'm saying it's quite sad and indicative of your insanity that you would feel the need to actually debate something like this.

And btw, all you're doing is advocating the protection of one freedom over another, nothing else. Don't act like one particular freedom is universal.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »

These are not merely my opinions but rather views rooted in the objective nature of freedom.

Just that? How about using  things that matter, like the Constitution, or Supreme Court rulings, or legislation, to back up your claim?

Alright, kinda creepy...[/quote]

How is it creepy? You have posted pictures of yourself in the pic thread for everyone to see. You have spoken to me about your education in chemistry in University. You have told the whole forum where you live, too. How you think, what your opinions are, how you feel, what you like... everyone has. It's not creepy. You've put it out for everyone to see. I know a lot about members here because I read posts and I forge conclusions based on what they say.

A private business choosing who it wants to hire does not constitute "oppression".
[/quote]

I'm not merely using employment as an example. There are many ways someone can be discriminated against, that could constitute oppression.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »

WTF people?

As always, you're putting words in my mouth. I never disputed your freedom to discuss anything you want. I'm saying it's quite sad and indicative of your insanity that you would feel the need to actually debate something like this.

And btw, all you're doing is advocating the protection of one freedom over another, nothing else. Don't act like one particular freedom is universal.

No I'm not. I'm advocating equal and universal freedom from aggression for everyone.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »

You can't force people to respect the civil rights of others at federal gunpoint.

Respectfully, a temporary fix at best, brittain33, unless you think Little Rock has seen the light.
Show me one school in Little Rock (or anywhere) that will deny access based on race in 2010.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »

WTF people?

I guess they are just too blinded by their ideology to think about the real world consequences of their positions. In many ways libertarians are just the polar opposites of communists. When you first hear their ideology it seems great, until you realize how horribly naive it is.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2010, 07:00:44 PM »

Show me one school in Little Rock (or anywhere) that will deny access based on race in 2010.

State-enforced segregation and discrimination is not the issue here.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2010, 07:01:22 PM »

No I'm not. I'm advocating equal and universal freedom from aggression for everyone.

False, you're advocating equal and universal freedom from agression for a majority of people.

Screw the rest.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »

WTF people?

I guess they are just too blinded by their ideology to think about the real world consequences of their positions. In many ways libertarians are just the polar opposites of communists. When you first hear their ideology it seems great, until you realize how horribly naive it is.

It is exactly because I consider the real world consequences that I must sacrifice my own popularity to oppose the anti-freedom "Civil Rights Act" of 1964.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2010, 07:02:10 PM »

False, you're advocating equal and universal freedom from agression for a majority of people.

Screw the rest.

Nope, I have never done that, sorry. Please do not make up lies to misrepresent my position.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »

This sort of response is precisely why this conversation is pointless, people.

Screw the rest.

Nope, I have never done that, sorry. Please do not make up lies to misrepresent my position.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »

Screw the rest.

You are advocating total and complete majority rule, what else? You're saying that everyone has freedom to whatever the hell they want, regardless of whether it violates the freedom other people enjoy (or should enjoy).
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »

Screw the rest.

You are advocating total and complete majority rule, what else? You're saying that everyone has freedom to whatever the hell they want, regardless of whether it violates the freedom other people enjoy (or should enjoy).

Nope, I have never said that. As long as it exists, the state has the responsibility to respect and protect the rights of all its citizens, majority and minority.

The non-aggression principle is objective and universal, as I have stated on numerous occasions.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:48 PM »

http://www.amconmag.com/article/2005/mar/14/00017/

Amazing article from a few years ago (by a right-winger, no less).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies