DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:47:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40702 times)
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« on: January 25, 2021, 06:39:16 PM »

It’s over DC statehood is done for. Same for PR statehood.
If anything I expect Democratic states to somehow lose representation as the cancer spreads into all three branches and they kill our democracy once and for all.

Will you shut up man?
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 06:53:58 PM »

It’s over DC statehood is done for. Same for PR statehood.
If anything I expect Democratic states to somehow lose representation as the cancer spreads into all three branches and they kill our democracy once and for all.

Will you shut up man?
How many times do you have to be proven wrong before you realize we are screwed?

Lol you’re one to talk about being wrong

I project Donald Trump will win the 2020 presidential election and will continue to be the 45th president of the United States.

Tag me if I’m wrong, because I won’t be.
There is no path for Biden, nor for America.

How many times do you have to be proven wrong to realize your ultra cynical worldview is wrong
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 12:50:08 PM »

Also can we make PR a state as well? I don't like how the focus has been on admitting DC yet PR is larger and encountered far more hardships in recent decades and also have voted for statehood on 3 separate occasions in the last decade.

I’m with you. PR deserves it more than DC
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:00:15 PM »

“maybe we should drop the name Columbia because Columbus was a bad person” “um ackshually Columbia is the female representation of [a certain WASP vision of] the country who is herself named after Columbus so it’s fine”

This. Columbia represents white supremacy, imperialism, and the genocide of the indigenous people of North America, and we should not be naming our capital after her.

Sorry but this is just ridiculous. The hate people have for historical figures is completely unfair. The United States wouldn’t exist with “Columbia” so it makes sense to name the capital after her despite everything
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 07:06:55 PM »

I wish Sinemuh and Manchin would signal how they feel about this. I guess they're holding their cards to their chests

0% chance either of them derail it. It's happening.

I guess this the Bevin to your IceSpear, the Georgia to your MM. I hope you’re right but…
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 09:58:44 AM »

Trump would have won this state by roughly 10,000 votes in 2020. Who would’ve thought WV and DC would be our next swing states!
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »

So I have an interesting possible compromise...  

If Virginia were to secede Arlington County and Alexandria back to DC, that would push Virginia back to being purplish and give the GOP a shot at their senate seats again.

Doubt they would agree, but I wish it was possible.
That is the worst proposal I have ever heard of.

Chill dude, it’s his 7th post in 14 years
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 09:08:21 AM »

What moron decided to call it "State of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth"?
I dunno.
The convention would be to call it Columbi

Columbus is a hugely controversial figure, who is especially unpopular among the very liberal population of DC, so it makes sense they wouldn't want to call it that. Plus, calling it Douglass Commonwealth lets them keep the DC abbreviation. I just don't understand why it couldn't just be called Douglass Commonwealth, rather than the very stupid Washington, Douglass Commonwealth.

Presumably to also let them keep using "Washington" for the presumable litany of purposes which they currently use it for that would perhaps be too administratively &/or logistically disruptive to change.

But the city is called Washington. If the state was called simply Douglass Commonwealth, then you could say Washington, DC like we do now.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 09:19:56 AM »

Since we’re talking about airports, Delaware only has one airport, and it had no flights from 2015-2021. Now the only flight out of it is a seasonal flight to MCO on Frontier. Joe Biden uses it as well though
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 06:38:11 PM »

I'll be donating to Manchin's Republican opponent in 2024. He's the most evil person in the US Senate. Worse than Cruz, Hawley, Sinema, and McConnell combined.

🤡🤡🤡
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 08:46:07 PM »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0P4ijfVkAEcfmJ?format=jpg&name=small

Y'all get taken for a ride every time he does his triangulation to preserve his image. Of course voting with the D's isn't good enough when it comes to statehood.

Say it again louder for the people in the back.

Seriously, though, if after everything which we've already been through, one somehow still can't bring themselves to admit that the Manchin Cycle is literally just *a thing that exists*, Idk what to tell you anymore.

People just love to pessimistic for some reason, and it’s annoying af and also a problem for our country
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies