Will Nancy Pelosi survive as House Minority Leader?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:18:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Nancy Pelosi survive as House Minority Leader?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Will Nancy Pelosi survive as House Minority Leader?  (Read 3211 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 10:52:03 AM »

Probably but I'm not sure why she would want to.  Maybe she hopes for a Democratic majority in the House after the 2018 elections.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »

Marianna Sotomayor ‏@MariannaSotomay  8m8 minutes ago
Rep. Tim Ryan says he will make decision within hours to challenge Pelosi. Says Dem Caucus can't progress under current leadership
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »

Crowley is running for caucus chair.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »

Tim Ryan is in

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »

Politico says likely at least 25-30 anti-Pelosians right now, ~24 on the fence waiting for a viable challenger.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »

Ryan won't win but if he makes it somewhat close he can damage Pelosi and force her to resign if they have another bad cycle in 2018
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »

I'm also astounded at the extreme loyalty among democrats to a leader who has caused them to blow a massive majority, given them their smallest minority since the 1920's, and has lost 4 consecutive elections. I understand she is a great fundraiser but is that worth having a leader who is hated by most of America and values loyal foot soldiers in safe districts over attempting to reclaim the house
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »

Probably time for some new blood if the Dems know what's best for themselves, which they probably don't.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 03:39:20 PM »

I'm also astounded at the extreme loyalty among democrats to a leader who has caused them to blow a massive majority, given them their smallest minority since the 1920's, and has lost 4 consecutive elections. I understand she is a great fundraiser but is that worth having a leader who is hated by most of America and values loyal foot soldiers in safe districts over attempting to reclaim the house

Being hated by most of America is now in the job description of being a congressional leader.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »

So not enough
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 03:41:57 PM »

Being hated by most of America is now in the job description of being a congressional leader.
Ryan and Boehner have always been more popular than she has
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 03:45:30 PM »

Ryan and Boehner have always been more popular than she has

From Pollster:

Paul Ryan Favorable Rating

33% Favorable
45% Unfavorable

Nancy Pelosi Favorable Rating

28% Favorable
49% Unfavorable

Mitch McConnell Favorable Rating

16% Favorable
42% Unfavorable

Harry Reid Favorable Rating

24% Favorable
43% Unfavorable

McConnell is actually the most unpopular Congressional Leader, Ryan the least-unpopular 
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2016, 12:29:43 PM by Illiniwek »

Yay. Nancy Pelosi has retained her position as House Minority Leader. I am so excited. She is not a symbol of the Democrat's failure at all. Yay.

The vote was 134-63. That's a bit better than I expected. At least Democrats are starting to wake up and smell the need for change.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »

Yay. Nancy Pelosi has retained her position as House Minority Leader. I am so excited. She is not a symbol of the Democrat's failure at all. Yay.

The vote was 134-63. That's a bit better than I expected. At least Democrats are starting to wake up and smell the need for change.

I'm not sure I understand the "change" part.  What change?  She's held the leadership position for a long time.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the "change" part.  What change?  She's held the leadership position for a long time.

My point was that some (approx. 1/3) of House Democrats are starting to realize it's time for change. Certainly the caucus as a whole isn't.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »

My point was that some (approx. 1/3) of House Democrats are starting to realize it's time for change. Certainly the caucus as a whole isn't.

Ok, gotcha!  Wink
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 12:41:08 PM »

are there many precedents for powerful long-term minority leaders (both chambers) ousted by their own caucuses against their wishes?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »

are there many precedents for powerful long-term minority leaders (both chambers) ousted by their own caucuses against their wishes?
Not many at all. Most min. leaders are good enough at their jobs.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »

Well, the Dems have just blown any chance they had of making significant gains in the House by keeping Pelosi on as Democratic leader.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »

Well, the Dems have just blown any chance they had of making significant gains in the House by keeping Pelosi on as Democratic leader.

i am not so sure about that (the republicans would vilivy any democratic leader and she is hyper-effective) but she should have gone anyway....

it's possible that the whole dem leadership dies in 2 years.....seems like a formula for chaos.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2016, 08:21:20 PM »

2018 is basically is an R year anyways; except for govs elections in ME, WI, IL, NV, NM and MI and NJ and PA.

Tim Ryan needs to run for Prez in 2020 and pick Martin Heinrich as his running make as Dems need to make gains in Gov races.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies