Europe imposing lockdowns again. Could this help Trump? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:04:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Europe imposing lockdowns again. Could this help Trump? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Europe imposing lockdowns again. Could this help Trump?  (Read 3320 times)
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« on: October 15, 2020, 09:27:56 AM »

The shining example of "handling coronavirus the right way", Europe which had punishing lockdowns during the spring is experiencing a resurgence of coronavirus cases and re-imposing the lockdowns.

Could this new development which shatters the mainstream media's success story be just the thing Trump needs to completely discredit the Biden position on handling the coronavirus and win over support?

Please discuss.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 09:36:20 AM »

No, because polls have shown that majorities of the American public are okay with new shutdown orders if the cases get worse and the scientists recommend it.

Sentiments change quickly, particularly on topics nobody knows much about.
I watched Chris Cuomo on CNN last night and he was open to a conversation about a change in approach and the pros and cons of the herd immunity concept.
If he was willing to contemplate it, I bet others are willing too.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 09:37:35 AM »

Of course this will not help Trump. It just reinforces that the pandemic is serious, which Trump denies. Every second the focus is on COVID, it hurts Trump.

This is proof that lockdowns don't work.
I think it helps Trump. He can talk about what Biden would do rather than what he did.
He can't escape COVID.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 09:40:39 AM »

The issue isn't the lockdowns, it's the 200,000 dead.

Just because the pandemic isn't over anywhere doesn't mean Trump suddenly didn't handle this terribly.

Of course, but he will try to spin it. He will claim that Europe handled it even worse and they were following the Biden playbook.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »

No, because polls have shown that majorities of the American public are okay with new shutdown orders if the cases get worse and the scientists recommend it.

Sentiments change quickly, particularly on topics nobody knows much about.
I watched Chris Cuomo on CNN last night and he was open to a conversation about a change in approach and the pros and cons of the herd immunity concept.
If he was willing to contemplate it, I bet others are willing too.

No, no one is thinking about herd immunity except for insane people.

You are very dismissive of ideas which are not aligned with your own.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »

I think Trump needs to portray his handling of coronavirus as better than European handling of coronavirus and link the way Europe handled it to the way Biden would handle it. That is the only way he can win on the subject of coronavirus and he can't avoid talking about it.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »

No, it will just reaffirm that this pandemic is serious and highlight how foolish Trump looks for acting as if it does not exist/telling the public not to fear it and live your life.

I am not sure I favor another lockdown, but I do favor a national mask mandate. I also oppose my state lifting restaurant/bar capacity limits.

Mask mandates were in place all over Europe and they didn't help.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 10:54:15 AM »

No, it will just reaffirm that this pandemic is serious and highlight how foolish Trump looks for acting as if it does not exist/telling the public not to fear it and live your life.

I am not sure I favor another lockdown, but I do favor a national mask mandate. I also oppose my state lifting restaurant/bar capacity limits.

They kept case counts relatively low for months.

But it's out of control now. Masks aren't helping.
They are resorting to lockdowns, but that is just a repetition of what they did during the spring.

We need to consider other proposals.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 10:55:45 AM »

Downplaying the need for COVID precautions doesn't help Republicans. Pretending that America's response has been anything other than a disaster is electoral suicide.

If Trump doesn't succeed in framing his coronavirus response as a relative success, he will lose the election.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 11:01:17 AM »

They kept case counts relatively low for months.

But it's out of control now. Masks aren't helping.
They are resorting to lockdowns, but that is just a repetition of what they did during the spring.

We need to consider other proposals.

Without masks, Europe would have needed a second lockdown a lot sooner, so yes they’re helping even if it’s not the end all be all.

Or they would have been in a better situation. They would have had the coronavirus cases stuck at a higher level, but without surges and lockdowns. It is doubtful if they will be able to recover economically from this second round of lockdowns.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »

Of course this will not help Trump. It just reinforces that the pandemic is serious, which Trump denies. Every second the focus is on COVID, it hurts Trump.

I think it helps Trump. He can talk about what Biden would do rather than what he did.
He can't escape COVID.

In what way is this proof that lockdowns don't work? Lockdowns weren't imposed to eradicate the virus, only vaccines can achieve that. Lockdowns are a means to save lives and right now certain lockdown measures are required in Europe to save lives.

Why are lockdowns required in Europe and not required in the United States?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 02:11:29 PM »

He can't escape COVID.

In what way is this proof that lockdowns don't work? Lockdowns weren't imposed to eradicate the virus, only vaccines can achieve that. Lockdowns are a means to save lives and right now certain lockdown measures are required in Europe to save lives.

Why are lockdowns required in Europe and not required in the United States?

Because we don't want as many of our citizens to die as is happening in the states? What sort of question is that?

The total number of people who died in Europe is not much better than the total number of people who died in the US.
That's not the reason you are imposing a second lockdown. It's because of the sharp rise in the number of cases.

Europe has more cases, more fatalities and worse economy right now than the United States, which is evidence that Europe has handled coronavirus crisis poorly.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 02:12:20 PM »

Yes. Trump's handling of coronavirus was great compared to Europe.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »

Yes. Trump's handling of coronavirus was great compared to Europe.

lol. How come the US has the highest number of deaths?

Europe will overtake the US. Just watch.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 03:40:12 PM »

Trump mentioned problems in Europe during his town hall yesterday.
He also discredited the idea about a mask mandate quoting the CDC study findings that 85% of those who contracted COVID-19 wore masks constantly or frequently.
He actually misquoted the study by claiming that 85% of those who wear mask would contract COVID-19, but I think his pitch will resonate with the swing voters.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »

Massive protests against the lockdown in Prague.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 03:50:18 AM »

Government of Ireland listening to scientists. Imposes six weeks lockdown. Retail stores fear they will not survive.

There are extreme scientists out there and listening to them is not the smartest thing to do.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 06:48:25 AM »

Czech Republic goes into full lockdown.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 07:07:28 AM »

Everywhere the toughest and most punishing lockdowns are being reintroduced. They will cripple the economy and these countries probably won't recover from them. At least those sectors of the economy hit hardest probably won't recover.

One million people in the US have been unemployed for six months. Their jobs aren't coming back if there is a new lockdown.

This is a very strong argument against Biden.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 07:10:29 AM »

Government of Ireland listening to scientists. Imposes six weeks lockdown. Retail stores fear they will not survive.

There are extreme scientists out there and listening to them is not the smartest thing to do.

What the hell are "extreme" scientists? The opposite of "moderate" scientists who only adhere to scientific facts partially and/or occasionally? You whole line reasoning comes acoss as a bit more than anti-intellectual.

Extreme scientists are those who consider only one field - their field, without taking into consideration the effects of their proposed measures on other fields and the society as a whole.

Extremely stupid politicians are those who listen to these extreme scientists.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 01:40:19 PM »

Spain imposes a curfew from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. As if coronavirus only spreads during the night. Crazy stuff. You can't make this stuff up.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 02:55:48 PM »

Italy following suit. Curfew from 9 p.m. and shutting down cinemas, gyms and pools for a month.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 05:47:48 PM »

Crazy Europeans impose full lockdowns again.

France will go into a national lockdown starting Friday.

Germany orders closure of restaurants, bars, cinemas, and similar establishments.

They are never going to recover from this.

As for the United States, the Stock Market is in free fall and only Trump's victory can stop that collapse.
If Biden wins, the investors will realize a new lockdown is imminent and the only thing that can possibly stop the slide at that moment will be a new stimulus.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »

The United Kingdom will go into a new national lockdown.

The United States is lucky to have Trump.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies