Could Tom DeLay save the House? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:51:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Tom DeLay save the House? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Pick a tossup: Who will in FL-22?
Rep. Clay Shaw (R)

Rep. Ron Klein (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Could Tom DeLay save the House?  (Read 623 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: September 26, 2006, 06:56:56 PM »

Seven more House seats in Texas from the redistricting of 2004? 

You need to get your math right, the Republicans only gained 5 seats in Texas (TX-01, TX-02, TX-10, TX-11, TX-24),  in 2004, and missed the six shot they created by not knocking off Edwards (TX-17).  That is unless you're counting their eliminating of Chris Bell (D) for Al Green (D) or the party switch of Ralph Hall from (D) to (R), which was going to happen regardless since he was an R anyway.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 07:40:58 PM »

You need to get your math right, the Republicans only gained 5 seats in Texas (TX-01, TX-02, TX-10, TX-11, TX-24),  in 2004, and missed the six shot they created by not knocking off Edwards (TX-17).  That is unless you're counting their eliminating of Chris Bell (D) for Al Green (D) or the party switch of Ralph Hall from (D) to (R), which was going to happen regardless since he was an R anyway.

Chris Bell is counted in the totals because he was forced to retire or run ina Majority Black district. Hall switched parties to avoid be gerrymandered out of the House. Seven is the correct number, in my opinion.

Uh, Hall didn't switch because he was going to be gerrymandered out.  He always said he would stay in the Democratic party after 1994, as long as it didn't hurt his constituents.  He left because a) the Republicans removed some spending measures for his CD (directly affecting the reason above) and b) because the Democratic caucus was too busy throwing barbs at the President, who is one of his very good friends.

And I'm still confused how replacing one Democrat with another Democrat leads to a Republican gain affecting the rest of the House.  You do realize there are 11 Democratic House members from Texas, not 10, unless you want to believe like fernie, that Cuellar is a Republican in Democrat clothing.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 10:28:51 PM »

Chris Bell is counted in the totals because he was forced to retire or run ina Majority Black district. Hall switched parties to avoid be gerrymandered out of the House. Seven is the correct number, in my opinion.

Uh, Hall didn't switch because he was going to be gerrymandered out.  He always said he would stay in the Democratic party after 1994, as long as it didn't hurt his constituents.  He left because a) the Republicans removed some spending measures for his CD (directly affecting the reason above) and b) because the Democratic caucus was too busy throwing barbs at the President, who is one of his very good friends.

And I'm still confused how replacing one Democrat with another Democrat leads to a Republican gain affecting the rest of the House.  You do realize there are 11 Democratic House members from Texas, not 10, unless you want to believe like fernie, that Cuellar is a Republican in Democrat clothing.

My mistake. Thanks for the correction. I'll always defer to a Texan about matters concerning Texas Wink

No problem.  I promise to defer in all matters Oregon as well, because I confess to know little about the state's politics except for what I see through maps.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies