2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:18:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread  (Read 169714 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: September 10, 2020, 07:22:17 PM »

While the GOP in general seems to be using "voter fraud" and "election integrity" as a way to suppress the vote, there is a slice of the GOP that I believe is genuinely paranoid about voter fraud and cheating in big cities.  So to them, I think waiting a week for results is a totally fine tradeoff for even totally marginal election integrity.  The opportunists are also fine with this because it will make Trump look like he's ahead on election night.

Yeah, that's true. Still, it bothers me how little thought goes into this. Whenever the fraud angle is raised by paranoid activists, rarely does anyone actually mention how it's going to happen. The expectation from their point of view is that they yell fraud, and everyone is just supposed to concede. If you have a building full of Republican and Democrat poll workers/lawyers who are pre-processing absentee ballots so they can be quickly counted, then there isn't a whole lot of room for shenanigans. Even for people who are so irrationally afraid, you can mandate cameras, observers, whatever - the works. It is supremely irritating for these people to act like it's an unfixable "problem."

It's just like opposition to same-day voter registration. Most if not all these states require an ID to register same-day, probably proof of residency too. What more could you want? It's not all that different than just registering at the DMV, and the requirements are really too steep for any serious effort to cheat. But people still whine about it.

The whole debate on election law from Republicans has become nothing but an endless stream of bad faith agitators and bona fide morons who have no business weighing in at all. Even long-time Republican lawyer who litigated the 2000 FL debacle has come out against his people:

/rant

I think the GOP has learned from Trump's ability to market.  You don't have to go deep on any train of thought, you just market the same few words over and over and people start to believe it, or at least enough do to promulgate the idea to the population.  Great for low information voters but this is a huge factor in why the suburbs are trending Democrat, I think.

I've noticed that as well. The Republican Party is basically the political equivalent to a message board where people do nothing but share memes.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:06:54 PM »

Early vote starts tomorrow in Virginia, first time there is no need for an excuse.

Democracy flourishing after years of suppression is a beautiful sight.

Virginia in general has been like the state equivalent of a phoenix since the Democratic trifecta took over.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 06:38:59 PM »

Update from Pennsylvania:

I received my mail in ballot yesterday. I'm in Delco (Delaware County, Philly suburb). I happened to have the day off, so I returned it to the Election office. I couldn't find a list of dropboxes. Other people I know from Delco and Montgomery County are receiving their ballots now.

I voted straight Dem.

Wait, the Art Vandelay? Of Vandelay Industries? The latex company?

Or possibly even the judge.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 07:08:14 PM »

Pizza! Pedophiles support voting! I'm going to burn my ballot now! Support Q!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 07:32:45 PM »

Yup, Dems need to pack the court. 5 out of 9 justices are anti-democracy

the PA law states that ballots must be received by election day and the Governor changed that.

https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/governor-wolf-signs-election-reform-bill-including-new-mail-in-voting/

And the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that it was okay because of the pandemic. Shows that the majority of the court doesn't care about Federalism.

Its the legislature that decides rules not the freakin unelected courts

That's a pretty ironic statement when applied nationally.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies