When Students Change Gender Identity, and Parents Don’t Know
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:37:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When Students Change Gender Identity, and Parents Don’t Know
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: When Students Change Gender Identity, and Parents Don’t Know  (Read 2389 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2023, 10:51:35 AM »

I miss the era where a woman could be masculine and a man feminine without being considered trans. "Gender is a social construct" and all that, remember? That was less than a decade ago. I will never understand why the left became even more rigid on gender roles than the right, but in a different way.
When, exactly, was this ever the case? This wasn’t true when I was a kid, and it certainly wasn’t true when my parents were young. Public displays of femininity have never been socially acceptable for men. And masculinity among girls (tomboys, if you will) has always been viewed with at least some suspicion.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2023, 10:54:59 AM »

I miss the era where a woman could be masculine and a man feminine without being considered trans. "Gender is a social construct" and all that, remember? That was less than a decade ago. I will never understand why the left became even more rigid on gender roles than the right, but in a different way.
When, exactly, was this ever the case? This wasn’t true when I was a kid, and it certainly wasn’t true when my parents were young. Public displays of femininity have never been socially acceptable for men. And masculinity among girls (tomboys, if you will) has always been viewed with at least some suspicion.
Femboys also exist
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2023, 11:04:28 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 11:11:35 AM by Devout Centrist »

Femboys also exist
Yes, this is true.

I’d also push back on the idea that all gender nonconforming people are automatically considered trans nowadays. Feminine men (femboys, as you point out) are not necessarily transgender
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2023, 11:51:28 AM »

Where are the Atlas militant trans activists to explain why this is acceptable?

Where are the Atlas militant child abuse opponents to explain why child abuse is bad?

Also, shame on NYT for publishing this hateful nonsense.

Your and Ferguson’s definition of child abuse is beyond absurd

Question for you, OSR. If you're 15-year-old cousin (I don't know if you have one, just entertain the hypothetical) came out to you as transgender, and asked you not to tell their mom and dad (your aunt and uncle), would you out them or would you respect their wishes?

In most cases no , but this is not a good comparison. I don’t have government authority or stature so that’s a whole different story .

I'm trying to get you to understand why we want to protect students by keeping their identities a secret.

So I'll ask you to elaborate. Why wouldn't you out your cousin?

I mean when I have friends who have misbehaved in certain ways ,and I didnt  tell their parents lol but schools in certain instances have to. 

You cannot compare an individual to individual relationship to a school to a student .

How should schools act when the best interests of the students are in conflict with the wishes of the parents?

Schools are already required to report suspected instances of abuse or neglect to social services.  If the actions of the parents don't rise to that level, the school should stay out of it.  It's perfectly within parents' discretion to not be "gender-affirming" with their kids.   
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2023, 12:01:45 PM »

Outing someone as gay or trans to their parents is one of the most vile things that you can do, and it's reprehensible that so many on Atlas want to force schools and teachers to do this.

It's honestly incredibly insulting to gay people to insinuate that their inborn sexual orientation is equivalent to a confused autistic/mentally ill teenager struggling to find her identity. Considering gender dysphoria, unlike homosexuality, is a mental illness, parents should absolutely be in the loop when it comes to how to treat the condition. And that's when it's even an accurate diagnosis, which I am highly skeptical it is in this case.

But you know, to some people virtue signaling to fellow "woke" people online that they are on the "right side of history" (so they -- I believe falsely -- assume anyway) is more important than the actual mental and physical health of children. Clearly.

As a gay person it's actually not incredibly insulting to compare sexual orientation to struggling over gender identity. Please don't speak for me and pull me into your obsessive hatred.

There is documented history of homosexuality in virtually all societies over thousands of years. Why isn't there a similar history of transgender children?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2023, 01:14:56 PM »

Outing someone as gay or trans to their parents is one of the most vile things that you can do, and it's reprehensible that so many on Atlas want to force schools and teachers to do this.

It's honestly incredibly insulting to gay people to insinuate that their inborn sexual orientation is equivalent to a confused autistic/mentally ill teenager struggling to find her identity. Considering gender dysphoria, unlike homosexuality, is a mental illness, parents should absolutely be in the loop when it comes to how to treat the condition. And that's when it's even an accurate diagnosis, which I am highly skeptical it is in this case.

But you know, to some people virtue signaling to fellow "woke" people online that they are on the "right side of history" (so they -- I believe falsely -- assume anyway) is more important than the actual mental and physical health of children. Clearly.

As a gay person it's actually not incredibly insulting to compare sexual orientation to struggling over gender identity. Please don't speak for me and pull me into your obsessive hatred.

There is documented history of homosexuality in virtually all societies over thousands of years. Why isn't there a similar history of transgender children?
I don't know about specific children off the top of my head but, Roman emperor Elagabalus was probably trans.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2023, 01:58:51 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 02:06:41 PM by Senator Classic Liminal »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A1dleehi

Heres at least one example. Do you want me to get more?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_transgender_history

Look at how easy it was for me to find this
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2023, 04:19:17 PM »

Either all of LGBT is a mental deviation/disorder, or it isn’t, I don’t know why people want to beat around the bush on this.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2023, 04:22:06 PM »

Either all of LGBT is a mental deviation/disorder, or it isn’t, I don’t know why people want to beat around the bush on this.

Only one of these four letters wants to mutilate their own body. While gender affirming care including surgery is the correct path for some, being trans has literally nothing to do with being gay or lesbian. The acronym is simply a marriage of convenience.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2023, 04:26:25 PM »

Only one of these four letters wants to mutilate their own body. While gender affirming care including surgery is the correct path for some, being trans has literally nothing to do with being gay or lesbian. The acronym is simply a marriage of convenience.
And the other three want to do acts that are not in alignment with normal behavior.

I think the real question is…whether you think it’s a mental illness or not, do you find being trans as morally wrong or not? It’s not impacting anyone else and very well not them (if you bring up suicides, well let’s bring up LGB suicides as well, see how that logic works?)

Is it something that needs correcting because it is morally wrong, or is it just a deviation that is neutral? That’s up to you to decide, I don’t care how you feel either way.

And don’t use the “mutilating your body” crap, are people with tattoos now mentally ill?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2023, 04:28:59 PM »

Mask off, much?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2023, 04:30:27 PM »

Mask off, much?

In the next sentence I literally say that mutilating your own body is the correct path for some people.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2023, 04:31:26 PM »

It's fascinating how much the Matt Walsh scareword "mutilating" has caught on lately. It's so overdramatic. Did I mutilate my mouth when I had my wisdom teeth out?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2023, 04:31:50 PM »

The school honored the student's request within reason. Whether or not the student told their parents about their identity was completely up to the student.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2023, 04:31:56 PM »

And don’t use the “mutilating your body” crap, are people with tattoos now mentally ill?

Pretty big difference between getting some tats and cutting off an organ.

You seem to have a much bigger problem with homosexuality than you do with being transgender. I've noticed this for awhile. Nothing wrong with that per se, just an interesting inverse from most people in the west.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2023, 04:33:42 PM »

Pretty big difference between getting some tats and cutting off an organ.

You seem to have a much bigger problem with homosexuality than you do with being transgender. I've noticed this for awhile. Nothing wrong with that per se, just an interesting inverse from most people in the west.
I personally find both transitioning and homosexual intercourse as morally incorrect. I just don’t care for bad faith arguments and hypocrisy.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2023, 05:07:01 PM »

Straight people have types of people they find attractive and types they don't. Human sexuality is much similar.

On the other hand, the concept of 'I'm not in the right body, and I need surgery to correct that' is much more complex.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2023, 05:29:45 AM »

Mask off, much?

In the next sentence I literally say that mutilating your own body is the correct path for some people.
That doesn't change that you're calling it "mutilation".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies