CPRM, Pt 2: AL (RO) 7/17; GA (RO) 7/24; TN 8/2; 274K ballots left in CA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:14:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CPRM, Pt 2: AL (RO) 7/17; GA (RO) 7/24; TN 8/2; 274K ballots left in CA
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 78
Author Topic: CPRM, Pt 2: AL (RO) 7/17; GA (RO) 7/24; TN 8/2; 274K ballots left in CA  (Read 109016 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: June 09, 2018, 10:33:16 PM »

Walters ticked down a tenth of a point today to 52.6%.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #876 on: June 09, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »

I really don't understand how the GOP is spinning these results as "good news" for their party in November.

Because they avoided a D v. D situation in every notable race except for the Senate Race.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #877 on: June 09, 2018, 10:40:49 PM »

Walters ticked down a tenth of a point today to 52.6%.

If we look look at the overall GOP vote in the district, they're down 16.3 points from 2014.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #878 on: June 09, 2018, 10:41:51 PM »

I really don't understand how the GOP is spinning these results as "good news" for their party in November.

Because they avoided a D v. D situation in every notable race except for the Senate Race.

Wow, they're willing to garbage dive for any material they can use to "kill" the blue wave narrative that they've set the bar extremely low.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #879 on: June 09, 2018, 10:52:30 PM »

Wow, they're willing to garbage dive for any material they can use to "kill" the blue wave narrative that they've set the bar extremely low.

Yes, but do you really expect them to just concede that they're going to lose? Many Democrats, including then-DNC chair Tim Kaine, maintained that there was a path to just barely keeping the house in 2010 until the polls had closed. Many Democrats also maintained that there was a path to  keeping the Senate - regardless of who Orman was going to caucus with if he won - until the polls closed in 2014. What the GOP is doing is simply typical electoral strategy - talk up how "well" you're doing however you can, as long as you can, so your base doesn't get super depressed and stay home, making things even worse for you.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #880 on: June 09, 2018, 11:17:34 PM »

they got locked out of the lieutenant governors race, and severely under-performed even their already embarrassing 2014 numbers in the gubernatorial race.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #881 on: June 09, 2018, 11:36:47 PM »

Democrats didn’t get locked out of any of the competitive House races in California; Here’s why that could be a bad thing:

1. It means they have to spend money on them

Running for Congress is hard work and now, the DCCC will have to spend money to win these races, money that could be better used to help weak incumbent Senate candidates like Claire McCaskill or Joe Manchin, who now looks likely to lose reelection.

2. Look at how bad Democratic incumbents did

Ami Bera, Jim Costa, Raul Ruiz, John Garamendi, Jerry McNerney...the list of Democratic incumbents that underperformed is long. Just because Democrats didn’t get locked out doesn’t mean they will do well this year.

3. Their vote share was weak

With exception to CA-49, Democrats received fewer primary votes in every competitive district, meaning that they will lose in November.

4. Why bother? Gerrymandering means Democrats can’t win

Why try if failure is certain? Democrats should try to protect what they have and hope that compromising with the President will get them to a better place with working class whites.

5. There’s a Republican on the Gubernatorial ballot

This basically means all the Republicans will turn out and Democrats won’t. Yikes.

6. The generic ballot is close and shows that Democrats are losing fluid

Generic ballot polls have tightened in recent months and suggest that Democrats are losing votes; this could mean that they will even lose their close California seats in November. Polls have been fluid and suggest that no side has the advantage.

7. They didn’t get into the runoff for CA-08

Wow. Red Wave inbound.

Looks like Democrats have a lot of work to do before they can celebrate. Most likely, they won’t have much to celebrate in California this November.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #882 on: June 09, 2018, 11:54:12 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2018, 11:58:49 PM by PittsburghSteel »

Democrats didn’t get locked out of any of the competitive House races in California; Here’s why that could be a bad thing:

Running for Congress is hard work and now, the DCCC will have to spend money to win these races, money that could be better used to help weak incumbent Senate candidates like Claire McCaskill or Joe Manchin, who now looks likely to lose reelection.

Ami Bera, Jim Costa, Raul Ruiz, John Garamendi, Jerry McNerney...the list of Democratic incumbents that underperformed is long. Just because Democrats didn’t get locked out doesn’t mean they will do well this year.

With exception to CA-49, Democrats received fewer primary votes in every competitive district, meaning that they will lose in November.

Why try if failure is certain? Democrats should try to protect what they have and hope that compromising with the President will get them to a better place with working class whites.

This basically means all the Republicans will turn out and Democrats won’t. Yikes.

Generic ballot polls have tightened in recent months and suggest that Democrats are losing votes; this could mean that they will even lose their close California seats in November. Polls have been fluid and suggest that no side has the advantage.

Wow. Red Wave inbound.

Looks like Democrats have a lot of work to do before they can celebrate. Most likely, they won’t have much to celebrate in California this November.

Ummm no. We have a candidate in every race, the GOP's, not the Dem's, vote share is down across every district, turnout amongst Democrats was sky high, and the Generic ballot was being powered by crappy online polls like Reuters for the past two weeks. I still don't see what the commotion from the right is about California. They got crushed. They don't even have a senate candidate. It seems to me you're concern trolling.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #883 on: June 10, 2018, 12:00:20 AM »

Wow. Red Wave inbound.

Ummm no. We have a candidate in every race, the GOP's, not the Dem's, vote share is down across every district, turnout amongst Democrats was sky high, and the Generic ballot was being powered by crappy online polls like Reuters for the past two weeks. I still don't see what the commotion from the right is about California. They got crushed. They don't even have a senate candidate. It seems to me you're concern trolling.
What are you talking about?? You’re not looking at the numbers! Typical Democratic hack. Wow!

(I’m kidding, dude. I had hoped my post would make it obvious.)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #884 on: June 10, 2018, 12:02:35 AM »

Wow. Red Wave inbound.

What are you talking about?? You’re not looking at the numbers! Typical Democratic hack. Wow!

Oh damn I'm so sorry. I had some sort of feeling that you were joking but I didn't know how to respond.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #885 on: June 10, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »

It's even worse on Fox News...there they're pinning Cox's top two win as some glorious victory and how it practically dooms the Democrats in November.   They'll take literally ANYTHING as a big win at this point.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #886 on: June 10, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »

It's even worse on Fox News...there they're pinning Cox's top two win as some glorious victory and how it practically dooms the Democrats in November.   They'll take literally ANYTHING as a big win at this point.

You mean 'pining' as in the famous Monty Python Parrot Sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

"It's not pining, it's passed on."
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #887 on: June 10, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »

Wow. Red Wave inbound.

Oh damn I'm so sorry. I had some sort of feeling that you were joking but I didn't know how to respond.

The problem is that there are users who would make all of these arguments in earnest.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #888 on: June 10, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »

And so did the Democrats. You can't just say the Republicans did "well" since they were almost certain to make every race besides Senate and governor.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #889 on: June 10, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »

Wow. Red Wave inbound.

The problem is that there are users who would make all of these arguments in earnest.
*cough cough* Limo and Lear
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #890 on: June 10, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »

That is.....SUCH a low threshold
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #891 on: June 10, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »

Any new updates on CA48?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #892 on: June 10, 2018, 07:09:52 PM »

Current count:

* DANA ROHRABACHER (REP)   38,629   30.5%
HANS KEIRSTEAD (DEM)   21,893   17.3%
HARLEY ROUDA (DEM)   21,806   17.2%
SCOTT BAUGH (REP)   20,332   16.0%

Next update at 5pm PDT Monday.  https://www.ocvote.com/fileadmin/live/pri2018/results.htm

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #893 on: June 10, 2018, 07:26:06 PM »

Current count:

Next update at 5pm PDT Monday.  https://www.ocvote.com/fileadmin/live/pri2018/results.htm

Does that page list the total vote total for the entire CD, or just the Orange County portion (if the CD has parts that go outside OC)?
kph14
Germany

« Reply #894 on: June 10, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »

Current count:

Does that page list the total vote total for the entire CD, or just the Orange County portion (if the CD has parts that go outside OC)?

CA-48 is completely within Orange County
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #895 on: June 10, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »

Right. Is there a regularly updated site that lists the current totals for all the CDs?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #896 on: June 10, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »

Current count:

That was the count yesterday so we got no new info dump today
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #897 on: June 10, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »

Current count:

The slow count in this election and all the recent elections in Washington, Oregon, and Colorado is a good argument against taking those voting systems national.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #898 on: June 10, 2018, 07:58:57 PM »

Current count:

The slow count in this election and all the recent elections in Washington, Oregon, and Colorado is a good argument against taking those voting systems national.

Why?   Voters love it, it's very popular.  It's just an inconvenience for us election geeks, who cares about that.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #899 on: June 10, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »

It’s Sunday, of course there isn’t going to be an update
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to: