COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:33:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 541867 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2022, 06:08:25 PM »

The way to do it would be to get the vaccination rate up. However, that would have to be done by forcing people to protect themselves when they clearly don't want it, so I understand why that might not be a viable option. I feel like the booster rollout has been neglected, from the CDC data it seems like only a third of 12+ have been boosted. That's quite different from other countries, in the UK it's 2/3rds and 60% in New Zealand (in those examples, only 18+ are eligible but out of fairness I'm using 12+). The vibe I've been getting is that it hasn't been promoted that heavily.

One thing I'm guessing is a factor is that there is a belief among quite a few people that if you got the virus then you don't need a booster shot for some time.

I know some people who were scheduled to get a booster in December, but got COVID beforehand. There's a belief that the immunity from the virus is better than a simple booster, so some people just won't get it for some months (or never)

The UK and most developed countries had lots of cases at the same time though.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2022, 12:13:07 AM »

I just don't know where you're seeing this. I only know about BA.2 because of this thread.

I overheard a segment on ABC News where they were talking to Dr. Fauci about the BA.2 variant and he was expressing his concerns about a resurgence in cases. Specifically, Fauci said that we "might" have to return to precautions, such as mask-wearing and the like, although he is hopeful that won't be the case and did say that we are in a better situation now than previously.

He was not saying that about BA2, he just said that the situation might change and it was a basic statement that they should be flexible. If a new variant turns up, they shouldn't have to respond to it in the same way as Omicron but decide what the best response is at the time.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2022, 01:07:32 AM »

I just don't know where you're seeing this. I only know about BA.2 because of this thread.

I overheard a segment on ABC News where they were talking to Dr. Fauci about the BA.2 variant and he was expressing his concerns about a resurgence in cases. Specifically, Fauci said that we "might" have to return to precautions, such as mask-wearing and the like, although he is hopeful that won't be the case and did say that we are in a better situation now than previously.

He was not saying that about BA2, he just said that the situation might change and it was a basic statement that they should be flexible. If a new variant turns up, they shouldn't have to respond to it in the same way as Omicron but decide what the best response is at the time.

I'll remind you that the mask mandates were reimposed last year in response to the Delta variant, not to Omicron, and were maintained in many jurisdictions in this country until relatively recently. Fauci made reference to masks as a potential "mitigation" measure, and his words certainly seemed to imply that some level of restrictions could return. I think you underestimate where many Americans stand on this at this point, and the desire to move past the past two years.

Yeah, I'm saying they ditched them because Omicron was mild. The example of Delta does show how the virus became more dangerous and so they brought masks back then. If they have to act, they have to act and can't be held back by the decision they made about Omicron. It seems unlikely they will need to reverse and let's hope Covid just keeps becoming milder.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2022, 06:07:05 PM »

When do you think we will stop quarantining positive cases?

I’m guessing we will stop it for the vaccinated by the end of 2022

Is that legally required or just a recommendation?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2022, 05:26:15 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2022, 11:25:54 PM by Pericles »

When do you think we will stop quarantining positive cases?

I’m guessing we will stop it for the vaccinated by the end of 2022

Is that legally required or just a recommendation?

It's technically just a recommendation, but it is culturally all but required.  Typically, no one would think twice if you were out in public with a cold or the flu, but you would not be received well if you were hanging out with friends and said "I just have a little bit of covid right now".

The weird thing is that no one cares if you have cold like symptoms, even if you don't get tested, but the second the "covid" label gets put on it, everything changes.  I've had people openly say that they were getting over colds and that they never got tested so that they wouldn't have to quarantine.

If it's a matter of personal responsibility, people should show responsibility by not going out when they are sick. People should also apply that to other diseases and just do better at not infecting other people.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2022, 02:02:53 PM »

Remember when they promised a vaccine that was reformulated to protect us from Omicron would be out by March?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Presumably they assumed it was more necessary than it actually was. Omicron-specific protection against severe illness is no different than three doses of the current vaccines. So it will be a more difficult and longer scientific project, if it succeeds at all, to get a vaccine that is very effective at preventing mere transmission and reducing deaths further.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2022, 02:07:16 PM »

It's mind-blowing that the Democrats embraced "zero Covid", when it was obvious it wouldn't work.

Most of the people who use the words 'zero Covid' are clueless about what it actually means.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2022, 09:05:54 PM »

Please implement new lockdowns & vaccine/mask mandates in October 2022 and October 2024. We can’t eradicate COVID as long as those anti-vaxxers refuse to get their fifth (and final) booster shot.

I don't want to live with restrictions, but if you're saying the government shouldn't keep offering us safe and effective vaccines that is just plain wrong, and I am happy to choose to keep up to date with my vaccinations.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2022, 09:49:03 PM »

Republicans need to put ballot measures in every state that bans the state from being able to implement any restrictions
I would support such a measure as long as "any restrictions" doesn't include vaccine mandates. Those I support because I'm vaccinated so they don't inconvenience or cause harm to me any. Mandated social distancing and mask mandates do.

Mandated vaccines do harm to those who may not, out of concern for their own personal health, want to take the vaccine; and in turn, restricting those people from daily life (in essence, almost placing them on a form of house arrest) has profound negative psychological effects as well.

If people have a legitimate medical reason not to take the vaccine, they will be able to get a medical exemption in any sane vaccine pass system. However, because vaccination only slightly reduces transmissibility, the restriction on people's freedoms is no longer justified in most cases.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2022, 12:13:17 AM »

If you do have genuine medical concerns about the vaccine, you should speak to your doctor and other medical professionals in your community. The vaccine is safe and effective for the vast, vast majority of people, and is much safer than getting Covid without being protected. So you can most likely get the reassurance you need if you ask. It is ok to want to be sure that the vaccine is the right thing for you, but I can't see why it's a good idea for you to leave yourself unprotected against a debilitating and deadly disease.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2022, 07:13:15 AM »

Hong Kong had a per capita death rate nearly four times the US peak during the Omicron wave. So it is clearly possible for Omicron to do tremendous damage to an unvaccinated population. It is a miracle that vaccines could be developed and rolled out so quickly, saving millions of lives.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2022, 07:25:32 AM »

Hong Kong had a per capita death rate nearly four times the US peak during the Omicron wave. So it is clearly possible for Omicron to do tremendous damage to an unvaccinated population. It is a miracle that vaccines could be developed and rolled out so quickly, saving millions of lives.
Yes but…the spike was also greater in Hong Kong because there were basically no cases before (this no natural immunity) Not remotely comparable.

The same happened in NZ and Australia and the death toll was nowhere close to the pre-vaccine ones.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2022, 04:04:40 AM »

Glad to know that 320 people a day is "nobody." That's still significantly higher than, say, the flu (~90ish a day, averaged out over the year) and car accident deaths (~100 a day).

My feeling is that Covid deaths, while tragically still happening, are now overstated by the official death tolls. Omicron being so transmissible but also milder means that a meaningful portion of it could be people who have mild Covid but also happen to die soon after of other causes.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2022, 10:56:23 PM »

If they're just offering it and people want it I don't see why that's a problem. Are they forcing students to learn online?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2022, 05:21:08 AM »

It looks like we are slowly moving into Camp 5:

They are way behind the times. it is the saddest part of modern day humanity how we all over reacted to an over hyped virus.

It killed a million Americans, killed thousands every day at the peak and brought the healthcare system to its knees. People were right to make sacrifices to protect their loved ones and their community. Now that the science has changed, it is not as big of a threat. It should be obvious thought that restrictions and behaviour changes were the right response to a dangerous pandemic that we had no vaccines and treatments for.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies