DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:41:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 272617 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« on: January 06, 2021, 03:03:33 PM »

The Biden Administration should prosecute these terrorists to the fullest extent of the law.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 03:36:33 PM »

Donald Trump is an evil man. He knows damn well what he is doing when he incites this.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:27:48 PM »

Reminder that Hillary was 100% correct when she called Trump's supporters deplorable
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 07:34:34 PM »

Impeach the motherf-cker
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 07:51:49 PM »

This country is beyond saving, holy sh-t

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 03:49:14 PM »

Digging deeper into this poll, 23% of respondents (47% of Republicans) believe the events Wednesday were "mostly a legitimate protest," compared to 72% (47% of Republicans) who believe it was "mostly people acting unlawfully."

56% believe Capitol Hill police were "not aggressive enough" in dealing with the terrorists.

One note on this is that I suspect there's a decent amount of people on the left who recoil at the thought of saying police need to be "more aggressive" in any context, even if they think the Capitol Police should have been better prepared and not, you know, taken selfies with the intruders. Basically this tweet, which I've seen making the rounds:

Frankly I'm of the opinion that shooting unarmed black people is wrong, and being tough against terrorists trying to break into the Capitol is acceptable. Crazy concept, I know.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 09:03:15 PM »

Pence is DOA in a 2024 primary at this point, his best bet is be President for ten days and get that sweet sweet pension and secret service protection.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 09:11:37 PM »

Pence is DOA in a 2024 primary at this point, his best bet is be President for ten days and get that sweet sweet pension and secret service protection.
Not exactly massively prudent of a statement to claim that the second highest ranking Republican in Washington is DOA in a primary that is three and a half years away.

He "betrayed" Trump by certifying he election. They literally wanted to hang him. The base will never back him.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 12:17:31 AM »

Liberals would do well to reflect on this quote by Martin Luther King, there is a lot of truth to it with regard to how many Americans feel.

A riot is the language of the unheard - Martin Luther King

I don't appreciate a non-American telling me how I should feel about a domestic terror attack and attempted coup on my country. Piss off.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 12:28:47 AM »

Liberals would do well to reflect on this quote by Martin Luther King, there is a lot of truth to it with regard to how many Americans feel.

A riot is the language of the unheard - Martin Luther King

If there is one thing on God's green Earth that a trump supporter is not, it's unheard. You can't open a paper without reading yet another profile of one of their diners in the middle of nowhere. They are not an oppressed minority like African Americans in the civil rights era, they are a coddled, romanticized minority that uses violence and corruption to achieve their political goals and to stay in power despite almost always receiving less votes than the majority party.

Don't twist Dr. King's words to defend racists, neo-nazis and murderers. It's disgusting.

All the major institutions, corporations, academia, media, the entertainment industry are opposed to Trump supporters who are ridiculed and often lose their jobs for the views, they are an oppressed group, they are oppressed by all of the major institutions and their voices are not listened to by any major institution in America except for now the WH.

Cope.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 06:30:09 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks Trump can recover from this by 2024?
Or am I just a doomer?

Assuming he's not barred from running for office, he's still the heavy favorite for the Republican nomination.

However, he is DOA for the general election. Harris wins with the 413 map.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 11:34:19 AM »

Anarcho-anything is a hoax.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 08:07:53 PM »

Biden indicating he still plans to follow through with plans for outdoor inauguration.

I respect his courage, but I do worry that he's putting himself at significant unnecessary risk.
The symbolism of a normal inauguration is important, but I think that the optics of an evacuation, or (God forbid) shots being fired towards the Capitol, are far worse.

He'll be surrounded by the military, there's not a chance a gunman is getting near him.

Also, being outdoors is good because of covid.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 05:26:18 PM »

A conviction (even if after January 20tn) would bar Trump from running in 2024, right?  If so, I could see some Republicans supporting it for the reason of taking back the party.  If not, I think most Senate Republicans would view it as a sideshow that doesn't really matter anymore.

I believe it wouldn’t automatically do so, but after conviction he would only need a majority vote to be barred from running again.

That vote would pass easily though at this point. The difficulty is getting to 2/3rds for the first one.

It just needs to be reiterated to people since a lot of people are under the impression that Trump can be barred from office without conviction.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 05:32:49 PM »

So Senate conviction requires 17 Republicans. Is that possible?

Obvious ones:
Romney
Collins
Murkowski
Sasse
Toomey

I guess you could compile another 12 from old dinosaurs who probably won't run again...but are there enough?

McConnell
Grassley
Shelby
Inhofe
Risch
Blunt

Now we're to people younger than Chuck Schumer...and at 11. I guess Burr has said he's not running again so that's 12.

So 5 more?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »

More Republicans are now freaking out and refusing to go through the medal detector.

These people are f'ing children.  Don't the people back home have any dignity?  They really want these lunatics representing them?  Telling the rest of America that their little part of the nation is a dangerous joke that you should never visit?

As crazy as it sounds - yes. This is exactly what they look for in representatives. They think this is an awesome moment of owning the libs and standing up for freedom.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 08:41:07 PM »

Not after the intelligence reports that the insurrectionists had inside help.  

- Members of Congress are allowed to be armed in the Capitol, and have access to everything, making any security search completely irrelevant
- Security exists to protect lawmakers from external threats, not the other way around
- They may be carrying sensitive documents that cannot be revealed to a random police officer
- If a member of Congress really wanted to cause damage, they don't need a gun to do it
- Capitol buildings exist for the sole purpose of allowing members of Congress to do their business. They do not need to explain themselves to anyone, and their movements should not be questioned or hindered in any way outside emergencies.

The nation's business should not be held up by irrational and unnecessary security checks. This is as ridiculous as making POTUS go through the same security checks as tourists when returning to the White House. Or a foreign ambassador, or Cabinet Secretary, or member of Congress, for that matter.

I'll remind you of this when Lauren Boebert tries to shoot Ilhan Omar for reaching into her purse a little too quickly.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 09:03:04 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 09:13:02 PM »

Members can bring guns to Capitol grounds, but not the floor of the House. (and let's face it, the prohibition on the floor is more a matter of decorum than security)

I read up more on this, and it seems that the metal detectors were installed by the House Sergeant-at-Arms, and applies only when entering the House floor, not the Capitol buildings themselves. So basically, Republican members are being babies in a way, but I still don't see why the honor system cannot be used for members like it was in the past.

You seriously don't see a problem with letting members of Congress carry guns on the floor? Do you want a murder to happen?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 09:24:05 PM »

Members can bring guns to Capitol grounds, but not the floor of the House. (and let's face it, the prohibition on the floor is more a matter of decorum than security)

I read up more on this, and it seems that the metal detectors were installed by the House Sergeant-at-Arms, and applies only when entering the House floor, not the Capitol buildings themselves. So basically, Republican members are being babies in a way, but I still don't see why the honor system cannot be used for members like it was in the past.

You seriously don't see a problem with letting members of Congress carry guns on the floor? Do you want a murder to happen?

When is the last time a murder happened on the floor of the House or Senate? And if someone committed murder, do you think it would more likely be by a member of Congress or a staffer/visitor?

Guns should definitely not be allowed on the floor - but it's a matter of decorum, not safety, in the case of members.

I believe that there is significant risk of Lauren Boebert shooting one of her Democratic colleagues in a fit of rage.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 12:02:46 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 03:25:23 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 12:22:36 PM »

As Donald Trump puts out statements written by his sane lawyers to try and defend himself, one of his insane lawyers makes a statement of his own.

Is this real life?
is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
no escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies & see
I'm just a poor boy. I need no sympathy.
Because I'm easy come, easy go
A little high, little low
Anyway the wind blows,
doesn't really matter to me...
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 04:23:04 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length