COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 12:12:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 547544 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 28, 2021, 09:30:08 AM »

Everyone who is alarmed (as I was initially) about the report that half of the new infections in Israel are among fully vaccinated people should read this thread ASAP: https://twitter.com/Jeffely/status/1408500890999328770.

TL/DR: since the general population of Israel is highly vaccinated, this infection rate is consistent with the Pfizer vaccine being as effective against Delta as it is against other variants.

Thanks for this.

I'm also convinced that a big thing about the panic with variants is that people immediately consider a mutation of something to be a catastrophe or something very different or bad.

The Delta being more contagious doesn't mean it's vaccine-proof, get a grip people

Yup, though there's a huge gap between fully vaccinated people and partly vaccinated. Pfizer vaccine is just 33% effective after the 1st shot, but over 90% after the 2nd according to current data. For elderly people, a 3rd booster shot is recommended a few months later.

To reiterated a previous post, the two of us are positive despite having the first dose. People we know despite having two.

Vaccinations will help you fight it if you get it, and despite record cases in Scotland today the number in hospital is low to manageable.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 10:18:49 AM »

Yes.

The reality is COVID will doubtless mutate away and become something that is always there. It will pick off people every year and we might need annual boosters.

The NHS is under some pressure but it seems to be the need for a few hours of oxygen or overnight observation. Less people are being admitted and those that are for less time.

We're kind of the dummy run for the western healthcare system. The numbers look scary when they build at first.

My concern is due to the 'red v blue' link to vaccinations in the States if that shows up with Delta, you'll see more right wing tinfoiling.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 04:31:38 PM »

The Democwats made me scawed to get the scawy vaccine.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 12:26:06 PM »

Scotland is probably the first 'first world' country where Delta slammed hard. Cases are going down now. The key is vaccination, both doses and fast.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 12:23:19 PM »

My inner nerd thinks that some regression analysis can predict the true numbers (twirls mustache)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies