Abortion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:18:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's your stance on abortion?
Abortion should be legal and federally funded

Abortion should be legal, but not federally funded

Abortion should not be legal and should not be federally funded

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 9970 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: October 03, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »

From conception, the baby is biologically human and genetically distinct from it's mother. Therefore it is a human being and should be treated as such. I would support abortion in cases where the mother's life is at stake, but it's really irrelevant given that those cases are such a small percentage of abortions.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

All abortions should be banded even for rape. I dont know how anyone could support Abortion its pure evil.

i don't know how you could support forcing women to carry a rapist's child.

Do you support a woman's right to smother her rapist's child (that she birthed) in it's crib? If the fetus is human the whole rape question is irrelevant.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »

All abortions should be banded even for rape. I dont know how anyone could support Abortion its pure evil.

Do you support a woman's right to smother her rapist's child (that she birthed) in it's crib? If the fetus is human the whole rape question is irrelevant.

That child has a right to live. Two wrongs dont make it a right. So punish the child for what the rapist did?.

you seem confused. fetuses aren't equivalent to living, breathing human beings anymore than seeds are equivalent to a tree.

this debate isn't about whether abortions should happen though. it's about whether they should be legal and as safe for the mother as possible, or whether they should be illegal and result in women dying due to unsafe backalley abortions. and then, if they do survive, you propose a life sentence for murder on top of that? if you seriously believe fetuses are full human beings, you'd be quite prepared to give women life sentences or even the death penalty, but the fact is very few people actually believe that.

The crimes aren't equivalent. Having an abortion is akin to hiring a hitman.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »

i find it sick, disgusting and evil how so many people on this website can justify nationalizing wombs because they hate women.

I find it sick, disgusting, and evil how so many people on this website believe that those who are strongly anti-abortion are that way solely because they hate women rather than because they love human life.  Cut back on the demonization, will you?  Just because their definition of human life is not objective fact does not make yours an objective fact either.  I don't think those on either side of the debate would say that if a human life were not being terminated abortion should be prevented, nor would they say that if a human life were being terminated then abortion should not be casually allowed.  However, neither side agrees on whether a human life is involved, which is what all the hoo-haa is about.

If you want to demonize the anti-abortion people here over what you perceive as their misguided definition of human life, go ahead.  But to attribute it to misogyny only coarsens the conversation and causes the people I presume you are trying to convince to tune you out.

i never said it was an objective fact. what i pointed out was that they're prepared to making living, conscious human beings suffer rather than get rid of something which isn't alive and is only the potential for human life. if that offends you, i'm sorry, but it disgusts me.

I see you're still begging the question.  Those who oppose abortion in all cases don't agree with you.  From their viewpoint, you are advocating allowing the murder of a child in order to alleviate some suffering on the part of the mother.  Now which is worse, causing some suffering, or murder?  So attributing their desire to prohibit abortion to a hatred of women is ridiculous as there is no need for them to hate women to be against abortion.

I'm not offended by your strong support for choice.  I'm offended by you maligning the motives of those who disagree with you without any merit to your charge.

Hear Hear!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fixed it for you.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fixed it for you.

so you think abortion and raping children are morally equivalent?

[inks] you

No abortion is worse.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »

And that position would be absolutely justified if fetuses were sentient. The flaw in your position is that they aren't.

Have you ever seen a premature baby. They seem pretty sentient to me.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:23:31 AM »

And that position would be absolutely justified if fetuses were sentient. The flaw in your position is that they aren't.

Have you ever seen a premature baby. They seem pretty sentient to me.

MCC is probably unaware of the fact that the medical definition of a fetus refers to the time of development between 9 and 38 weeks, so it would be a broad statement to say sentience is not present in all fetuses.

It would be fair to say that a fetus is likely sentient in the later stages of development. However, have you seen what a fetus looks like at week nine? On what basis does is seem sentient to you at that point?

I'm not asserting all fetuses are sentient. I was pointing out that MCC was incorrect in his assertion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies