Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:01:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: What's your stance on abortion?
Abortion should be legal and federally funded

Abortion should be legal, but not federally funded

Abortion should not be legal and should not be federally funded

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 9762 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fixed it for you.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »

Fixed it for you.

so you think abortion and raping children are morally equivalent?

[inks] you
Icehand Gino
Rookie
France

« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »

Its sick and disgusting how YOU want to punish a baby for the evils of the rapists. So its the babies fault that the woman was raped? pure evil. Abortion is complete evil in every case.

Even if mother's life is threatened ?

If abortion is a murder, right of self-defense should be applied like in every case of murder.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »

Fixed it for you.

so you think abortion and raping children are morally equivalent?

[inks] you

No abortion is worse.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »

And that position would be absolutely justified if fetuses were sentient. The flaw in your position is that they aren't.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »

And that position would be absolutely justified if fetuses were sentient. The flaw in your position is that they aren't.

Have you ever seen a premature baby. They seem pretty sentient to me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »

MCC is probably unaware of the fact that the medical definition of a fetus refers to the time of development between 9 and 38 weeks, so it would be a broad statement to say sentience is not present in all fetuses.

It would be fair to say that a fetus is likely sentient in the later stages of development. However, have you seen what a fetus looks like at week nine? On what basis does is seem sentient to you at that point?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2012, 03:08:54 AM »

Option 2. For me - obviously (i am at least somewhat fiscal conservative, but rather social liberal)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2012, 07:23:31 AM »

MCC is probably unaware of the fact that the medical definition of a fetus refers to the time of development between 9 and 38 weeks, so it would be a broad statement to say sentience is not present in all fetuses.

It would be fair to say that a fetus is likely sentient in the later stages of development. However, have you seen what a fetus looks like at week nine? On what basis does is seem sentient to you at that point?

I'm not asserting all fetuses are sentient. I was pointing out that MCC was incorrect in his assertion.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2012, 09:55:04 AM »

I'm not asserting all fetuses are sentient. I was pointing out that MCC was incorrect in his assertion.

Ok. I wasn't sure which is why I asked.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »

it doesn't matter what they believe. if they are so anti-abortion, they don't have to have one. but they have to infringe on other people's rights too. trying to control women's bodies smacks quite heavily of sexism to me

I see you are still begging the question and asserting that your beliefs are objective fact.  If you were to take the opposite position as objective fact I could see an an alternate universe version of you writing:

Quote from: Restricted
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2012, 07:31:39 AM »

It should be illegal and never federally funded.  The only exception I would allow for is in an ectopic pregnancy where the fetus is known to have no chance of surviving and all other alternatives have already been exhausted.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »

it doesn't matter what they believe. if they are so anti-abortion, they don't have to have one. but they have to infringe on other people's rights too. trying to control women's bodies smacks quite heavily of sexism to me

I see you are still begging the question and asserting that your beliefs are objective fact.  If you were to take the opposite position as objective fact I could see an an alternate universe version of you writing:

i'm not asserting anything as fact, except that they're trying to control women's reproductive rights, which they are.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2012, 06:47:24 PM by Nathan »

i'm not asserting anything as fact, except that they're trying to control women's reproductive rights, which they are.

Nobody is denying that. The only difference of opinion is over whether or not the situation merits such controls, which you're reducing to a question of personal preference because you don't think that it does and aren't demonstrating any interest in understanding the mindset of people who do.
Supermariobros
Rookie
Hong Kong
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2012, 03:41:49 AM »

Option three.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies