January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:11:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 138824 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: July 18, 2021, 05:55:54 PM »

He's just mimicking his idol. I wouldn't be surprised if he used an "alias" like "John Barron" to do it.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 06:48:28 PM »

Growing group of GOP members wants McCarthy to punish Kinzinger and Cheney for joining January 6 committee
A growing group of rank-and-file House Republicans wants House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and GOP leadership to punish Reps. Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger for accepting a position from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to serve on the select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection.

The push to seek punishment rose to a new level on Sunday, after Pelosi announced that Kinzinger had accepted her invitation to join the committee. Initially, most rank-and-file Republicans were content to let Cheney serve without much of a fight, but Kinzinger's addition has changed the conversation and has put a new level of pressure on McCarthy.
They're welcome to start caucusing with the Democrats, though they won't be able to influence policy.

Or even just pulling an Amash and leaving the party, depriving its conference of even a small number, would suffice.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 06:34:10 PM »

I'm glad US Capitol Police Sergeant Aquilino Gonell isn't walking a beat in the Bronx.  Roll Eyes

#BacktheBlue, right?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 06:08:45 PM »

Excellent choice.  Riggleman is a former intelligence analyst and was well respected by both sides during his time in the House.

I still can't get past the Bigfoot erotica thing though...
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 06:31:58 PM »

How are these stories even real?  The creators of the matrix we live in went too far with this one.  The Trump movement is becoming too farcical.

It's been a mix of farce and horror the entire time.

I think the right is correct that we who don't agree with them are going to Hell. What they don't realize is that we already died and Hell is this country that exists with them in it and us forced to coexist with them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 06:29:50 PM »

How are these stories even real?  The creators of the matrix we live in went too far with this one.  The Trump movement is becoming too farcical.

It's been a mix of farce and horror the entire time.

I think the right is correct that we who don't agree with them are going to Hell. What they don't realize is that we already died and Hell is this country that exists with them in it and us forced to coexist with them.
This period the entire 4 years of the trumpet administration felt like one long episode of Arrested Development goes to Washington

I would rather have a GOB/Tony Wonder ticket run for President than anyone the GOP nominates in 2024. The series was pretty prophetic though in its fourth season for predicting the rise of Trump.

Sartre was right, Hell is other people-but those people are specifically Republicans.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 06:43:59 PM »

Imagine being so much of a cuck that you can't accept that your cult leader lost an election and you try to overthrow the entire US government instead. Don't these people have jobs to go to, wives to hug and kiss, and children to raise? Do they really want to throw everything away for some megalomaniacal narcissist who couldn't give a single stinky wet shart about them?
I think we all agree that the Russiahoax that Clinton's campaign launched was bad, but what does that have to do with this topic?

Some of your posts had been winning me back lately...until now.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 06:01:16 PM »

Like it matters. He won't comply. Subpoenas are meaningless.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 06:45:38 PM »

Republicans seeking pardons:

Mo Brooks
Matt Gaetz
Andy Biggs
Louis Gohmert
Scott Perry
Marjorie Taylor Greene (potentially)

Any Republicans care to explain why an innocent person would seek a pardon?

I predicted literally all of these people. Granted, they're the usual suspects. Wasn't that hard to imagine.

Boebert, Cawthorn, Clyde, Jordan, Massie, and Roy are some obvious ones that are missing though.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 05:55:19 PM »

They should promise to do a Masked Singer-esque reveal. That'll get the attention of our goldfish-minded population.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 06:33:10 PM »

Somebody thinks it's Anthony Kennedy.

Is he going to apologize to the nation for retiring under Trump?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 06:12:41 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2022, 06:44:42 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

We now have multiple testimonies that indicate quite clearly that the President engaged in a seditious conspiracy to interrupt the regular functions of government and entrench himself in power by his proclaim action.

And you guys are sitting here arguing about the specific side details of a glorified secretary’s testimony?

Jesus this country is screwed.

You're totally right, this absolutely does not negate any of the actually important aspects of the scheme. But what it does do is muddy the waters and delegitimize both the witness and the committee, especially given the low attention span of the average American who may be casually paying attention as the hearings keep making headlines. So yes, the country is screwed because at least 45% of the country are incapable of understanding nuance or caring about anything other than what exclusively affects them.  
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 06:28:49 PM »

So now that video leaked of showing Trump did try to grab the wheel the question is now why did the secret service put on a statement disputing it

Video?

I know that this is off-topic a bit, but the fact two songs played back-to-back in that video from two famous gay musical acts really bothers me. I hope they send a cease-and-desist to Trump to stop him from using their music at any more of his stupid rallies this year. The GOP is more than happy to denigrate the LGBTQ+ community while also partaking in their art-they shouldn't be allowed to do both.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 06:19:51 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 07:00:48 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

So now that video leaked of showing Trump did try to grab the wheel the question is now why did the secret service put on a statement disputing it

Video?

I know that this is off-topic a bit, but the fact two songs played back-to-back in that video from two famous gay musical acts really bothers me. I hope they send a cease-and-desist to Trump to stop him from using their music at any more of his stupid rallies this year. The GOP is more than happy to denigrate the LGBTQ+ community while also partaking in their art-they shouldn't be allowed to do both.

They have. He's ignored it. Because he's a crook, and our justice system is broken.
Kathy Golik -- manager of Laura's legacy management company, Other Half Entertainment -- tells TMZ that it's no surprise Trump used the song again during his last hoorah before jetting off to Florida, as she says he's continued to use music from artists without permission for quite some time now
The Village People tell TMZ ... "We asked him to cease and desist long ago. However, since he's a bully, our request was ignored." It's true -- TVP have repeatedly made clear they're not down with DT constantly using their most famous tune ... but he's persisted.

I should have figured. I will say though, a compilation album (or playlist) of all the songs Trump has used that their artists didn't want him to would probably be one of the greatest collections of music on Earth.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 05:34:47 PM »

Hutchinson's testimony was clearly always going to be the most discussed and circulated in the media. But I think the Trump hacks may have actually given it even more oxygen by prolonging its life in the media cycle with the whole Secret Service-"hearsay" assertions. And now it seems like it may be producing a ripple effect and may just get worse for them and their cult leader.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 05:57:00 PM »

Hutchinson's testimony was clearly always going to be the most discussed and circulated in the media. But I think the Trump hacks may have actually given it even more oxygen by prolonging its life in the media cycle with the whole Secret Service-"hearsay" assertions. And now it seems like it may be producing a ripple effect and may just get worse for them and their cult leader.

If that happens, then I will have to revisit my leap of faith into atheism.

Well, I should clarify, I'm still not getting my hopes up for an indictment entirely because of this, but continued attention extrapolating from the Hutchinson testimony throughout the summer will not be good for perceptions of Trump, especially since some close to him are purportedly nervous about it.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2022, 06:05:43 PM »

A theory floating around on legal Twitter is that Trump may be under investigation for obstruction of justice, that Trump knows it, and his letter waiving the (non-existent) privilege might be an attempt to demonstrate that he's not standing in the way of an investigation.

Trump isn't that smart, unless someone concocted that plan for him.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 06:47:39 PM »

I find it interesting that it took years for the ex-Oath Keeper to recognize that the group held antisemitic views he found disturbing. I'm sorry, but what did he think he was getting into?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2022, 06:41:08 PM »

Why bother with seditious conspiracy at all? Just go straight for the treason charge.

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason
Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

And from Ex Parte Bollman and Ex Parte Swartwout
To constitute a levying of war, there must be an assemblage of persons for the purpose of effecting by force a treasonable purpose. Enlistments of men to serve against government is not sufficient.

When war is levied, all those who perform any part, however minute or however remote from the scene of action, and who are actually leagued in the general conspiracy, are traitors.

Any assemblage of men for the purpose of revolutionizing by force the government established by the United States in any of its territories, although as a step to or the means of executing some greater projects, amounts to levying war. The traveling of individuals to the place of rendezvous is not sufficient, but the meeting of particular bodies of men and their marching from places of partial to a place of general rendezvous is such an assemblage as constitutes a levying of war.

Please, somebody find a way to lure Garland to this page!...Wouldn't that be something?!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2022, 06:28:08 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2022, 07:33:25 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

The theme of everything around Trump, and even to those around him like pathetic coward Josh Hawley, is "the Emperor has no clothes." Some of us have always known and observed this about Trump's entire being for his entire public life, but the committee hearings should make it more obvious than ever.

Just look at how it appears that Trump was more upset about having to give a tepid speech about the insurrection than about the insurrection itself and what it means for the country he supposedly loves so much. I bet that what made him embarrassed more than anything from last night's hearing were those outtakes rather than how much more apparent his dereliction of duty was made.

This man, and the party he has made himself the avatar of, should not be allowed to hold any sort of political power. They can't be trusted and it's sickening that nowhere near enough Americans will ever come to that realization.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2022, 06:40:36 PM »

Kinzinger definitely had a great speech at the end.

I wish more Republicans had courage to stand up to what they know is wrong. I wish the American people weren't engaged in party tribalism. I hope Trump's attempted coup has not opened the door for future attempts.

I fear that's exactly what it has done. You're seeing election denial in a bunch of Republicans running for office this cycle. The longer current Republicans continue to go along with this for fear of losing voters, the more dangerous this becomes.

It's possible that January 6 was simply a trial run for the next time. It's frightening to think there is a real chance the GOP regains control of Congress in November.

Well, that's why anyone who thought after January 6 that the party would ditch their support of the Big Lie was completely naive. Even if they know it's bulls***, it gives them a great opportunity to simultaneously keep their base angry and for them to have the "legitimacy" to subvert the republic either through voter suppression or outright refusing to accept election results. It's what they've always wanted. They can win power without ever having to go through the arduous effort of changing their ways.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2022, 07:24:02 PM »

For the first time ever, and I do mean EVER, I'm starting to feel somewhat optimistic about Trump being held accountable for something.

And I feel like I've seen it all at this point. Never had faith in Mueller or anything related to Russia, but this is plain as day. The guy is on video tape refusing to do his job and tell those terrorists to stop committing a terrorist attack on our country.

If it happens, let's just hope it's sooner than later, especially with his impending 2024 campaign.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2022, 05:48:12 PM »

Six hours? Lame. Hillary testified eleven hours over a nothingburger.

That is about the right period of time if your answer to every question is to take the 5th. If you don't believe me, just ask Donald Trump.

And what does Lindsay Graham have to hide? Or Gov Kemp? Even if there is something to their claims they don't have to spill their guts, why not just do it anyway? Lindsay will tell you he is as pristine as fresh snow when it existed before pollution and global warming.  And he can prove that to the world by telling all.

Especially Kemp who supposedly has all this rational, sane moderate hero credibility now. You'd think him being transparent in a deposition would help him in his re-election and really reinforce that apparent image he has. Abrams has an opening here if she plays it well.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2022, 06:22:43 PM »

Dark Brandon's DOJ should make a deal with Clarence Thomas to drop all potential charges against Ginni in exchange for him resigning.

Sounds good on paper, but I wouldn't put it past Thomas to not care about his wife sitting in prison if it means if he can still take Americans' rights away in legislating from the bench.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2022, 07:03:20 PM »

Trumpsters might want to reconsider ganging up on the FBI after reading this:

Chilling Memo To FBI Official Warned Of Sympathy In Bureau For Jan. 6 Rioters
A "sizable percentage of the employee population felt sympathetic to the group that stormed the Capitol,” a person wrote in an email to Paul Abbate.

Let's not forget that Trump supporters in the FBI may have had some influence on Comey reopening the email investigation. But I can't blame Trump supporters for turning on an institution or entity that they sued to have solidarity with, that's what Trump does all the time when someone's usefulness runs out for his interests. Monkey see; monkey do. They're only emulating their God-Emperor.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies