Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:44:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 343596 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 09, 2020, 06:33:07 PM »

Shouldn't matter, but Lee Carter is just... unappealing to look at in a way that could hurt him in a high profile race.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 06:06:43 PM »

No progressive should be upset with Lee Carter's loss. Guy did more harm to the movement than good and the people of his district were clearly tired of the drama.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:48:29 AM »

Big Youngkin momentum!

Yuck. This makes me trust T Mac even less. If a CoC isn't all in for the Republican, something is very amiss in the Democratic party.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2021, 07:44:15 AM by Horus »

Big Youngkin momentum!

Yuck. This makes me trust T Mac even less. If a CoC isn't all in for the Republican, something is very amiss in the Democratic party.

Why can't you just accept the Republican Party is alienating people?

Are they? Because polls show a close race here. The GOP losing CoC types but picking up blue collar minorities is not a trade I'd want to make, and right now that looks like the most likely outcome.

Might not be a big deal in upper middle class Virginia, but it would be devastating for what's left of the Midwest, and would dash any hopes of a blue Texas.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 08:46:16 AM »

Big Youngkin momentum!

Why can't you just accept the Republican Party is alienating people?

Are they? Because polls show a close race here. The GOP losing CoC types but picking up blue collar minorities is not a trade I'd want to make, and right now that looks like the most likely outcome.

Might not be a big deal in upper middle class Virginia, but it would be devastating for what's left of the Midwest, and would dash any hopes of a blue Texas.

Youngkin has had like 3% black support in most of the polls and Latino support seems about on the same level as 2016/2020, so not sure where you're getting that impression in VA at least.

I hope you are correct. Polls have shown Biden's approval taking a huge hit among unvaccinated minorities and with vaccines such a big part of political discourse these days, that is problematic.

Also, while I have said myself it's not the same thing, 20% of Black California voters and over 40% of Latino California voters said yes on the recall.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 11:27:17 AM »

Wapo gives Terrance mcawfuliffe 4 Pinocchios for repeatedly inflating covid threat in the commonwealth

This fear mongering is a sign of a flailing campaign. Could Dems really not find anyone better?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 12:02:17 PM »

Wapo gives Terrance mcawfuliffe 4 Pinocchios for repeatedly inflating covid threat in the commonwealth

This fear mongering is a sign of a flailing campaign. Could Dems really not find anyone better?

Youngkin has literally been fear mongering this entire campaign...

They are really desperate for talking points on this.  It's going to be hilarious to read this forum when Youngkin loses.

Given that T-Mac is "more vulnerable than Tester" I guess when Youngkin loses it means the Dem senate is safe for 4 years!

I certainly hope t Mac wins since Youngkin is anti vax but he shouldn't need to lie about childrens COVID rates to win. "Think of the children" arguments are as low IQ as they come.

That t Mac is barely up against a candidate as shady as Youngkin shows that he's basically a male Hillary.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »

If McAuliffe loses it will hopefully signal to Dems that they have to move left on bread and butter issues and dump the Bush lovers before they take over and finish the NOVAfication of the party. McAuliffe is an awful, elitist candidate running a terrible campaign on yesterday's issues. It is time to excise the Clinton holdouts and neocons from power before it's too late.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 01:45:28 PM »

If Youngkin wins, I don't think it means that Virginia is becoming a purple state in federal elections again. Candidates can and do win governorships in states that are otherwise hostile to their party.

Virginia will still vote Dem in 2024 unless it's a landslide. But with how D it was trending and how amazing a governor McAuliffe supposedly was, it shouldn't even be particularly close. But he's had several gaffes, he isn't that charismatic, people are tired of COVID fear mongering and he represents yesterday's worldview.

Was this guy really the best VA Dems could muster?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »

How is it any different than thinking the most pressing issue is an unemployed ex president?

That unemployed ex president could ask for another coup tomorrow and have thousands of foot soldiers at his beck and call.

He is still extremely dangerous.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 05:48:41 PM »

even in 2016 and 2020.. the rural vote in VA was more dem than you would expect. other wise Spanberger couldnt have won..

and Trump missouir margins in mrural  virginia would have handeed him tjhe state in 2016

There’s a lot more black people in rural Virginia than people realize which is why 85-15 margins don’t happen outside of SW Virginia.

Still, the rural Black population is declining pretty quickly in Southside VA and northern NC. iirc the VA House seat most likely to flip used to be majority Black and is centered in Emporia. The current representative is a Black woman but she will probably lose to a white guy.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 06:54:06 PM »

McAuliffe's crowds always look as white as Youngkin's. Surprising in a diverse state like VA.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 01:30:13 PM »

While I'm hoping he wins since Youngkin is anti vax by proxy (anti vaccine mandate), a 2 or so point McAuliffe victory is still pathetic for a state like Virginia.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »

Any updates from Buchanan?  Feels like it's the only county where turnout is actually down.

Not to be morbid but haven't some of the rural SW counties been hit really hard by COVID? There may just be fewer people around to vote..
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 07:20:35 PM »

Clinton cronies never win.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 07:25:38 PM »

Dems win with Fettermans, not McAuliffes.

Wanna win the white suburbs? You have to face someone who says mean things. A Republican who says nice things will beat you there because these people just want respectability politics and low taxes. And every time the Dems try to gain a white suburban voter they alienate a minority voter.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 07:30:44 PM »

Blame the Democrats who nominated a Clinton has been. This is about the failures of third way neolib politics.

Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin of the Republican lite wing. Swingy suburban voters are never going to be the base of the supposedly left wing party. Ever.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 07:35:44 PM »

Blame the Democrats who nominated a Clinton has been. This is about the failures of third way neolib politics.

Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin of the Republican lite wing. Swingy suburban voters are never going to be the base of the supposedly left wing party. Ever.

So we should have run a birdie Sanders clone? Please. The answering meal liberal is an exactly a cure all for the Democratic Party's party's ills. If Terry McCullough had run at least as good a campaign as he did 8 years ago, he might have had a shot here.

Addressing the issue  Constructively now, I have to admit I'm a little surprised as I was under the impression that, republicans notwithstanding of course, that McCullough had left office reasonably well reasonably well liked and popular.

No, the answer is to run Democrats who actually have a plan and can both run on issues and motivate voters. Fetterman, Conor Lamb, Ossoff, Warnock, AOC, they don't have to be from the Sanders wing.

McAuliffe motivated no one, he ran against Trump instead of his actual opponent and he isn't charismatic.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 07:38:11 PM »

So we should have run a birdie Sanders clone? Please. The answering meal liberal is an exactly a cure all for the Democratic Party's party's ills. If Terry McCullough had run at least as good a campaign as he did 8 years ago, he might have had a shot here.

Addressing the issue  Constructively now, I have to admit I'm a little surprised as I was under the impression that, republicans notwithstanding of course, that McCullough had left office reasonably well reasonably well liked and popular.

No, the answer is to run Democrats who actually have a plan and can both run on issues and motivate voters. Fetterman, Conor Lamb, Ossoff, Warnock, AOC, they don't have to be from the Sanders wing.

McAuliffe motivated no one, he ran against Trump instead of his actual opponent and he isn't charismatic.

How is AOC not from the Sanders wing?

I was giving examples of Democrats from all wings of the party.

My point is it doesn't matter if the Democrat is far left or on the center, they just have to run a decent campaign, motivate voters and not be too close to Bill and Hillary Clinton. McAuliffe did none of that.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2021, 08:30:00 PM »

Rather embarrassing that NYT and CNN haven't called this yet.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2021, 08:35:12 PM »

Holy crap Lynchburg! Biden narrowly won this county last year. Almost 86% of the vote is in.

Liberty University seems like Biden-Youngkin central. Trump's policies were fine to them but he said bad unchristian things, and that's worse than any policy.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 08:59:05 AM »

COVID is over and Dems need to stop running on it. The results here and in NJ make it clear.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 12:27:17 PM »

T-Mac felt entitled to a win here it seems. No wonder he's so close with Hillary, same mentality.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2023, 01:26:15 PM »

I was with Petersen on masks and in person schooling but that Jim Crow remark is just beyond disgusting. Glad he lost.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies