COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 04:52:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 115049 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: April 15, 2020, 01:29:23 PM »

How stupid are Michigan Republicans?

LOLZ getting sick to own the libz!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1601 on: April 15, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »

Killing grandma to own the libs. Let that sink in.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1602 on: April 15, 2020, 01:32:52 PM »

Went on Snapchat map to view public stories in the area, it appears a bunch of people, including teenagers with "young people against Whitmer" signs have started physically protesting outside the capital.

What did she do even? How could anyone protest her?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1603 on: April 15, 2020, 01:36:14 PM »

Governor Cuomo mandating the wearing of masks in public (where social distancing is not possible):

Didn't the WHO say not to wear masks? Or does that matter now that Trump cut its funding?
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1604 on: April 15, 2020, 01:37:08 PM »

Killing grandchildren to own the conserves.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1605 on: April 15, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »

Killing grandchildren to own the conserves.

Ick.  Don't...do that.  
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1606 on: April 15, 2020, 01:39:02 PM »

Governor Cuomo mandating the wearing of masks in public (where social distancing is not possible):

Didn't the WHO say not to wear masks? Or does that matter now that Trump cut its funding?

WHO said that masks do not protect yourself from getting infected. However, masks can prevent you from infecting other people. The major issue is getting enough masks.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1607 on: April 15, 2020, 01:40:04 PM »

When I was last at work on Monday, I wore a mask early on, but got tired of adjusting it, and eventually took it off. Given that the CDC and various state governors (like mine's), have recommended doing so while out in public, I felt bad for doing so. But I've heard and read that masks aren't intended to protect you from getting the virus; they are intended to protect others from getting it from you.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1608 on: April 15, 2020, 01:41:06 PM »

Went on Snapchat map to view public stories in the area, it appears a bunch of people, including teenagers with "young people against Whitmer" signs have started physically protesting outside the capital.

People are being absolutely ridiculous - but unfortunately, there's people out there like that who want more people to get the disease and die apparently then stay at home for a little bit longer to save the country.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1609 on: April 15, 2020, 01:41:25 PM »

Is this really necessary?  NYS has already peaked in terms of deaths/new infections, and the added benefit of masks is extremely marginal at best.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1610 on: April 15, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »

Protesters in Michigan have Trump flags and Confederate flags. Suffice to say, this protest is really NOT about Whitmer, is it.

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1611 on: April 15, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »

Protesters in Michigan have Trump flags and Confederate flags. Suffice to say, this protest is really NOT about Whitmer, is it.

Confederate Flags <-- ? --> Michigan
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1612 on: April 15, 2020, 01:46:29 PM »

I hate how everybody is saying "this is nobody's fault" like they act like us being forced to stay indoors and have the economy go to sh**t was just unavoidable.

There is at least one person to blame and his name is Xi Jinping, and if I was POTUS I'd be doing everything possible to make sure he was being guillotined in Tienanmen Square in retribution for all those who have perished at the hands of communism, as well as for this new 9/11 attack from a Chinese bioweapon, and that the citizens of the PRC were being marched through the Xinjiang concentration camps a la German citizens after allied forces ended the Holocaust.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1613 on: April 15, 2020, 01:47:32 PM »

When I was last at work on Monday, I wore a mask early on, but got tired of adjusting it, and eventually took it off. Given that the CDC and various state governors (like mine's), have recommended doing so while out in public, I felt bad for doing so. But I've heard and read that masks aren't intended to protect you from getting the virus; they are intended to protect others from getting it from you.

The other benefit of a mask that I've found is that it serves as a constant reminder to not touch my face.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1614 on: April 15, 2020, 01:48:09 PM »

Something something ... cultural heritage ... something something
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1615 on: April 15, 2020, 01:49:13 PM »

Is this really necessary?  NYS has already peaked in terms of deaths/new infections, and the added benefit of masks is extremely marginal at best.

People in Wuhan are still wearing them, people in SK are wearing them, people in Spain are wearing them despite Spain's infected rate freefalling.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1616 on: April 15, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »

Just an opportunity to get out the machine guns, assault rifles, Confederate and trump flags and play nazi militia games.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1617 on: April 15, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »

Something something ... cultural heritage ... something something

Uhh...bit far north of the Mason-Dixon Line there, guys.

anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #1618 on: April 15, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »

The other benefit of a mask that I've found is that it serves as a constant reminder to not touch my face.

Honestly I found it to be the opposite. I went to the store wearing a cloth one the other day and like Calthrina spent so much time touching my face to adjust it that I wondered if it served more harm than good
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1619 on: April 15, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »

Eh it’s hard to say.
We aren’t entirely sure as to the main route of transmission with the virus.
If it spreads mainly via air-droplets, face masks would certainly be at least somewhat helpful in reducing spread. That being said, if it’s spreading through fomites most of the time, face masks wouldn’t help as much (and in some cases may even be harmful)
There is some small-scale evidence face masks may work, but it’s not conclusive. Ideally we would take a few thousand volunteers to some isolated facility and deliberately expose them in various ways/with varying protections. Unfortunately that won’t happen.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1620 on: April 15, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »

She issued a stay-at-home order in one of the states most affected by a pandemic! And that's a bad thing. Because... well... um... yep.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1621 on: April 15, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »

Nice to see the United States turning into an authoritarian nanny state. The last 250 years be damned.

Is it even constitutional to mandate people wearing masks? Dodgy territory....

My god if you really wanna stick it to the man just go outside to your nearest grocery store and lick the door and be done with it.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1622 on: April 15, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »

We peaked because of social distancing, not because the virus had infected too many people already to keep its momentum up. Now we want to end the social distancing, but there's plenty of fuel still available for it to restart the exponential growth. All it takes is one untracked individual to spark another outbreak. Masks will help prevent this.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1623 on: April 15, 2020, 02:00:01 PM »

[tweet]

Michigan has had this side to their culture for decades. The number of confederate flags in the Mid-Atlantic is already astounding, but from my observations pales in comparison to Michigan, which stands alone amongst the Midwestern states in this degree of rural/rebel pride. (Parts of Illinois and Ohio have this tinge but it's nowhere near as widespread.)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1624 on: April 15, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »

Michigan's order is a bit more restrictive than most.  For example, Michiganders are now prohibited from travelling between private residences which they own.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies