What happens if Colin Powell endorses Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:15:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What happens if Colin Powell endorses Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Effect of Powell endorsement?
Obama >2

Obama +1

Obama +0.5

no change

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: What happens if Colin Powell endorses Obama?  (Read 12301 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:05:41 PM »

After much speculation the 'will Powell endorse Obama' thing is hitting high gear. Politico speculates Colin Powell will endorse Obama on MTP this sunday.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14665.html

It seems the GOP are gearing up for it as well by spinning it as just a race thing. Note headline at Fox News:
Hip-Hop-Dancing Colin Powell Fuels Speculation He'll Endorse Obama

So does it help Obama or not?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »

Joe the plumber will be lost in news the moment Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama

and what is Powell going to point to, Obama's experience?  Is Powell going to disagree with McCain for voting for war when Powell was the one selling it in front of the UN?  Is he going to disagree with McCain's opinion of the surge when Powell believed more troops were needed from the start?

All McCain would have to say in response is:  "Well, Colin Powell and I have seen eye to eye throughout the decades, and I followed Colin Powell's advice and voted for the war in Iraq.  But I am not surprised he is endorsing Senator Obama.  Look, Senator Obama is polling around 95% of the African American vote. African Americans have a right to be proud that Senator Obama is the first African American to win a nomination of a major political party.  And I, as well as all Americans, share their feeling of pride.  But I have policy differences with Senator Obama that transcend the color of one's skin...(goes on to list policy differences)"
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 03:15:45 PM »

If Powell endorses Obama --  "Well, you know those people.  They stick together.

If Powell endorses McCain --  "Well, you know those people (military).  They stick together.

Either way, there's a spin.  So no major effect.  Powell may point to Joe Biden as a reason for backing Obama, given Biden's foreign policy gravitas.  But even so -- nice Republicans (most of them) will say it's just one black guy sticking with the other black guy.  Not so nice Republicans (a few of them) will say -- "typical n*gger".

But then what of Democrats?  If he ends up surprising everyone and endorsing McCain, we'll just say "Colin Powell never met a warrior he didn't like" or something equally stupid.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:36:42 PM »

It'll probably help a little.  Whitey loves them some Colin Powell.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:37:13 PM »

It will completely halt any momentum McCain may have had.... which McCain really cannot afford.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »

lol, "hip hop dancing"?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »

First of all, to anyone that still thinks Fox is fair and balanced, that headline should prove to you that it isn't.

Second, I doubt it has a really big long-term effect on things. All it does is, as Nate Silver pointed out, "run the clock", giving Obama a couple days of media cycle that McCain desperately needs.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 03:48:01 PM »

I agree on the news cycle thing. I think it gives him half a point in the end. Sure there will be a 'he is just black' thing, but Colin Powell is popular. By the time he resigned his approval rating was over 70%
http://www.pollingreport.com/P.htm#Powell

Back in 1995 he beat Clinton in a poll for President by 10 points. Maybe some of those older voters will remember that?
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EPF/is_n5_v95/ai_17459252
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »

I agree on the news cycle thing. I think it gives him half a point in the end. Sure there will be a 'he is just black' thing, but Colin Powell is popular. By the time he resigned his approval rating was over 70%
http://www.pollingreport.com/P.htm#Powell

Back in 1995 he beat Clinton in a poll for President by 10 points. Maybe some of those older voters will remember that?
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EPF/is_n5_v95/ai_17459252

Powell remains one of the most popular, respected figures in American politics. It would help allay concerns that some moderate Republicans and Independents may have about Obama. Still, we should see, at best, only a small shift. +0.5 at most. The main benefit, as others have pointed out, is that it would give Obama a few days of positive press coverage.
humder
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:18:40 PM »

If Powell does endorse Obama, then that means two days of Powell saying 'Obama is the most qualified to be President' being played over and over on the tv. It is not so much that people agree with everything Powell says, it is that McCain will have only 16 days to regain a lead and he can not afford loosing two days of the news cycle to Powell saying nice things about Obama.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 04:21:33 PM »

Joe the plumber will be lost in news the moment Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama

and what is Powell going to point to, Obama's experience?  Is Powell going to disagree with McCain for voting for war when Powell was the one selling it in front of the UN?  Is he going to disagree with McCain's opinion of the surge when Powell believed more troops were needed from the start?

All McCain would have to say in response is:  "Well, Colin Powell and I have seen eye to eye throughout the decades, and I followed Colin Powell's advice and voted for the war in Iraq.  But I am not surprised he is endorsing Senator Obama.  Look, Senator Obama is polling around 95% of the African American vote. African Americans have a right to be proud that Senator Obama is the first African American to win a nomination of a major political party.  And I, as well as all Americans, share their feeling of pride.  But I have policy differences with Senator Obama that transcend the color of one's skin...(goes on to list policy differences)"

"Colin Powell just want his brotha for another motha to win."

Yeah, that'll go down well.

Here's an idea, maybe Colin Powell ISN'T endorsing Obama because he's black?

No, that's crazy, you're right. Blacks aren't capable of independent thought. They have to support the negro.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »

"Colin Powell just want his brotha for another motha to win."

Yeah, that'll go down well.

Here's an idea, maybe Colin Powell ISN'T endorsing Obama because he's black?

No, that's crazy, you're right. Blacks aren't capable of independent thought. They have to support the negro.

My main point was to drag him through the mud over his 2003 Iraqi WMD presentation before the UN...but I do think it is fair to also allude to race to explain Powell's sudden endorsement of a Democrat, but I would do it tactfully like I did above. 
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »

I guess I might be the only person who doesn't give a damn about Colin Powell, especially after his shameful water carrying for the Bush administration.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »

It'd be great, but it won't have a major impact on voters; it may be big in the news cycle, though.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 04:45:01 PM »

I guess I might be the only person who doesn't give a damn about Colin Powell, especially after his shameful water carrying for the Bush administration.

which is exactly why I would mention his 2003 WMD presentation at the UN.  How can he say he disagreed with Bush43 when Powell gave Bush credibility
perdedor

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 05:06:23 PM »

I doubt it will make much of a difference. He is just a relic from Bush's first term, not as many people care about Colin Powell as the media and political junkies make it out.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »

It might hurt Obama with some supporters.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 05:11:30 PM »

Explain.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »

Obama was suppose to be against the war.  Powell was one of the people in favor of the war.

It looks like poor Lunar forgot that too:

Question: What impact could the Colin Powell's endorsement have?

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 05:44:30 PM »

Er... Barack Obama's running mate was in favor of the war. As was a good chunk of the United States of America.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »

*groan*

This is such a J.J.-esque response.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 05:56:12 PM »

With only 2 1/2 weeks left?  Not a thing.  If there were still 2 1/2 months, it might have helped Obama just a little, but now that we are nearing the homestretch of the homestretch, nothing will change.  People will just shrug their shoulders and go about their daily lives and stressing about the economic crisis.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »

Er... Barack Obama's running mate was in favor of the war. As was a good chunk of the United States of America.

Ah, Powell was one of the people strongly associated with it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »

A I raised the possibly of either Powell or Rice on the ticket, and this was one of the reasons given why it wouldn't be a good idea.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 06:13:48 PM »

Let me get what's going on in J.J.-land

Obama's supporters are going to jump ship because a guy who supported the war announces he's going to pull the lever for Obama?  Yeaaaah

I stand by my comedy goldmine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies