McCain suddenly has a critical opening
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:47:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain suddenly has a critical opening
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain suddenly has a critical opening  (Read 1521 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:08:58 PM »

After his best debate performance of the three last night, with the most memorable line such as "If you wanted to run against George Bush, you should've run four years ago", John McCain has a chance to run the table the next 20-some days.

Also, "Joe the Plumber" got a great deal of discussion and no doubt he'll go down in political history very memorable.

McCain...in some ways...made Obama look like a kid in last night's debate...and if he stays on message (and attack) he can win this thing.

I still believe that...in the end...Missouri, Ohio and Florida will all go for McCain. It's then his mission to hold Nevada, Virginia...and win one more state...preferably Colorado or New Hampshire.

It can still be one...it's hard to paint...but possible.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:10:46 PM »

After his best debate performance of the three last night, with the most memorable line such as "If you wanted to run against George Bush, you should've run four years ago", John McCain has a chance to run the table the next 20-some days.

Also, "Joe the Plumber" got a great deal of discussion and no doubt he'll go down in political history very memorable.

McCain...in some ways...made Obama look like a kid in last night's debate...and if he stays on message (and attack) he can win this thing.

I still believe that...in the end...Missouri, Ohio and Florida will all go for McCain. It's then his mission to hold Nevada, Virginia...and win one more state...preferably Colorado or New Hampshire.

No, nothing really changed at all. The debate was a tie, Obama wins by alot...
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 06:14:39 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2008, 06:18:08 PM by GoldenBoy »

Lets hope the DOW stabilizes and there is no terrible financial news..As long as those play out OK. We Are back to a toss up race by mid next week.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »

I have a little hope. He finally did what he needed to do in the first debate last night. He's got a small chance and Joe the plumber may have given a gift to him. Most Americans do not want class warfare or wealth redistribution.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 06:16:53 PM »

Lets hope the DOW stabilizes and there is no terrible financial news..As long as those play out OK. We Are back to a toss up race by mid next week.

We need to keep McCain going 24/7 in Ohio/Virginia/Colorado/Pennsylvania....and take Palin and Todd to areas like Nevada and Florida and try to run up the right-winger numbers.

Keep in mind...a state like Virginia began early voting a month ago when McCain was up nationally by 4 pts...if he closes the gap...and is ahead or tied by election day...it's quite possible that state could fall to McCain despite Obama's current lead.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »

We need to keep McCain going 24/7 in Ohio/Virginia/Colorado/Pennsylvania....and take Palin and Todd to areas like Nevada and Florida and try to run up the right-winger numbers.

Keep in mind...a state like Virginia began early voting a month ago when McCain was up nationally by 4 pts...if he closes the gap...and is ahead or tied by election day...it's quite possible that state could fall to McCain despite Obama's current lead.

My fellow Ohio Mccain supporter where   in Ohio are you , and what are you seeing or hearing on the ground?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:20:07 PM »

Which is why Sarah Palin's favorables are in the dumps.
Mr.Jones
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »

Joe the plumber will be lost in news the moment Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama
daboese
Germany

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »

Go ahead, deregulate more, give more money to banks and big business.
You will be the next country (after the Soviet Union) which is going down. Smiley
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 06:49:02 PM »

Go ahead, deregulate more, give more money to banks and big business.
You will be the next country (after the Soviet Union) which is going down. Smiley

dude, didn't germany just have to bail out its banks also
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:10 PM »

I think we'll be seeing President-Elect Barack Obama when we wake up Wednesday, November 5, 2008, but I see the election being a lot closer than what the polls and the pundits say right now.  McCain definitely has a chance in the big swing states, such as Ohio, Virginia, Florida, and Missouri.  I think Nevada belongs to McCain.  I'm giving Colorado to Obama, but I'm keeping the other 4 wide open.  Remember, 19 days in politics is like 19 years to most American citizens.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:43 PM »

It's not as bad as for you guys.
And we still have a middle class- and some companies actually producing goods.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »

like we're all standing in bread lines.  Roll Eyes

look, stop being an envious peeping-tom hack
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:22 PM »

LOL Too bad our economy  is over 4 times as big as Germany's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
daboese
Germany

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2008, 07:07:17 PM by daboese »

I lived in your country, remember? Smiley
If McCain would get elected, or (heaven forbid) someone like Palin, you will see what happens.
And even if not- we can talk about these issues again in approximately 20 years. The big American opponent went down (thus, Communism and its ideas) and sooner or later you will see the big deregulational Capitalism going down- and either the US will go down with it or not.

You also have more than 4 times the inhabitants of Germany. Better look how much your exporting deficit is- as well as what percentage of the population is in the middle class.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »

I'm actually glad it's tightening a little. Now people won't get complacent and stay home on election day.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 07:14:17 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2008, 07:18:17 PM by nick »

It's tightening up that's for sure...

I don't have a clear explanation why... I personally think all 3 debates were basically draws or marginal victories for Obama, Obama, McCain... polls show Obama won all three handily.

Obama is dominating in advertising spending and will increase this advantage even more in the weeks to come.

He has a consistent message that is resonating.

We are in a recession (Q3/Q4 GDP will show this).

He should be winning going away, but for some reason I have doubts...

I don't think it's race.  I think it may be that people don't truly want "change".  It's not that they're racist, it's just that they are not ready to turn the page in history.  They want to hang on to things as they are for a little longer... if you get what I'm saying

Just my 2 cents.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »

Joe the plumber will be lost in news the moment Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama

and what is Powell going to point to, Obama's experience?  Is Powell going to disagree with McCain for voting for war when Powell was the one selling it in front of the UN?  Is he going to disagree with McCain's opinion of the surge when Powell believed more troops were needed from the start?

All McCain would have to say in response is:  "Well, Colin Powell and I have seen eye to eye throughout the decades, and I followed Colin Powell's advice and voted for the war in Iraq.  But I am not surprised he is endorsing Senator Obama.  Look, Senator Obama is polling around 95% of the African American vote. African Americans have a right to be proud that Senator Obama is the first African American to win a nomination of a major political party.  And I, as well as all Americans, share their feeling of pride.  But I have policy differences with Senator Obama that transcend the color of one's skin...(goes on to list policy differences)"
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 07:19:39 PM »

It's tightening up that's for sure...

I don't have a clear explanation why... I personally think all 3 debates were basically draws or marginal victories for Obama, Obama, McCain... polls show Obama won all three handily.

Obama is dominating in advertising spending and will increase this advantage even more in the weeks to come.

He has a consistent message that is resonating.

We are in a recession (Q3/Q4 GDP will be show this).

He should be winning going away, but for some reason I have doubts...

I don't think it's race.  I think it may be that people don't truly want "change".  It's not that they're racist, it's just that they are not ready to turn the page in history.  They want to hang on to things as they are for a little longer... if you get what I'm saying

Just my 2 cents.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but you're somewhat on the right track.  I understand the reason to hold onto "race" for now, and it does have "some" impact on things.

Of course, maybe its possible that Obama solidified his leaners last night.  We don't know yet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies