If you were governor of a state with the death penalty...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:28:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If you were governor of a state with the death penalty...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Which of the following would you do if they were within your power?
Refuse to sign any death warrants for any executions

Grant a stay to any inmate upcoming to be executed

Commute the sentences of all inmates on death row to life in prison

None

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: If you were governor of a state with the death penalty...  (Read 6726 times)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2007, 03:25:09 PM »

I support both the death penalty and abortion. What does that make me?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2007, 03:58:50 PM »

LOL however at people that oppose the death penalty but support abortion, shows where your values are

The fetus isn't a human life.
Funny how you love science sometimes but not at others

Science leans in his direction (though I wouldn't call it quite as decisive as on, say, evolution or climate change).
Fetus being a human is definetly more easily proven than evolution and man-made global warming.  Probably because the first one is true and the others aren't, just a guess.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2007, 04:01:56 PM »

Fetus being a human is definetly more easily proven than evolution and man-made global warming.  Probably because the first one is true and the others aren't, just a guess.

Okay... prove it then.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2007, 04:04:47 PM »

Okay... prove it then.
The fetus will be born and possess the qualities necessary for life, therefore it is life and a person.  Really not too difficult, fancy science not necessary
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2007, 05:10:44 PM »

Okay... prove it then.
The fetus will be born and possess the qualities necessary for life, therefore it is life and a person.  Really not too difficult, fancy science not necessary

Is a plant seed placed into fertile soil a plant?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2007, 01:26:35 AM »

I would have to agree with the liberals as far as the first two trimesters, as the fetus isn't really "life" at that point, and wouldn't infringe on a woman's right. However, third-trimester abortions is the more sensitive issue.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2007, 02:27:17 AM »

I don't know why the libertarians are coming in favor of the death penalty. Maybe a lot of libertarians are just paleo-cons.

Our official platform doesn't mention the death penalty, but I presume the forum libertarians support it because of the "eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" rule, much the same reason I support it. As I said before, I would temporarily commute the sentence to life until DNA evidence could be found, because one can never be too sure.

Eve for an eye is not really that good of a principle for practical reason. Should a rapist be raped? .... and if you are pro-life, should an abortionist be aborted?

Well, I believe the punishment should fit the crime. If you rob $3 worth of a product from a store, you should have to pay the store $6.

So what do we do with kidnappers? Kidnap someone for three days, the sentence is only three days in prison?

No. The sentence would have to be much longer, as I believe kidnapping is assault.

...so you assault the convicted abductor?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2007, 02:29:23 AM »

LOL however at people that oppose the death penalty but support abortion, shows where your values are

The fetus isn't a human life.
Funny how you love science sometimes but not at others

Science leans in his direction (though I wouldn't call it quite as decisive as on, say, evolution or climate change).

How is he not a fundy?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2007, 03:29:26 AM »

At what point do you determine that the fetus suddenly constitutes a human life?

(Here's a hint: the wrong answer is "conception.")
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2007, 08:28:24 AM »

The end state needs to be that the death penalty is no longer necessary. The way to achieve this is by making the prison system tougher. Reintroduce hard labor, chain gangs and eliminate all luxury items such as TVs and stereos from prisons. We have made prisons almost like a home for convicts where it's suppose to be a punishment for them.

Prison sentences needs to a punishment that is so bad that convicts wished that they were dead instead. Like in Office Space, it should not be a white-collared resort; it should be a pound-me in the ass prison. 
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2007, 08:46:53 AM »

The end state needs to be that the death penalty is no longer necessary. The way to achieve this is by making the prison system tougher. Reintroduce hard labor, chain gangs and eliminate all luxury items such as TVs and stereos from prisons. We have made prisons almost like a home for convicts where it's suppose to be a punishment for them.

Prison sentences needs to a punishment that is so bad that convicts wished that they were dead instead. Like in Office Space, it should not be a white-collared resort; it should be a pound-me in the ass prison. 

I'm pretty sure that still happens - chain gangs or not.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2007, 09:49:32 AM »

LOL...parden that pun!

Nevertheless, my point is still that the prison system is getting too lax and the system needs to get tougher.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2007, 11:34:18 AM »

LOL...parden that pun!

Nevertheless, my point is still that the prison system is getting too lax and the system needs to get tougher.

maybe replace the death penalty with pound-me-in-the-ass. Probably more effective, cheaper and turns the state from murderers and euthanologists to homosexual dungeon masters. Which would you rather be?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2007, 02:55:20 AM »

maybe replace the death penalty with pound-me-in-the-ass. Probably more effective, cheaper and turns the state from murderers and euthanologists to homosexual dungeon masters. Which would you rather be?

Oh, in civilized countries, rape is illegal.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies