COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:45:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 115081 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: April 09, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »

ANTIFA JOSH

He's totally running for President in 2024.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #901 on: April 09, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »

Very confusing graph for an even more confusing model.  So on April 2, the model predicted that infections in Georgia would peak on April 5, and then on April 5 they changed the peak to April 25??  I don’t really see how that can be trusted at all.

They weight heavily stay-at-home order, which GA implemented between the updates. Stay-at-home order = flatten the curve per their model. + new data I suppose.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #902 on: April 09, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #903 on: April 09, 2020, 03:08:54 PM »

ANTIFA JOSH

Make sure the companies also keep these people's health insurance intact and I'm on board.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #904 on: April 09, 2020, 03:18:07 PM »

They can use the Ritz-Carlton in Riyadh again, this time as a hospital.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #905 on: April 09, 2020, 03:24:18 PM »

Happening never, lol

May be I misunderstood your post, but as right now US pay MORE than 100% of wages for ALL workers with wages under nat'l median. For next 4 months, but I guess Congress will extend it until emergency is over.

But there is no bonus for re-hiring.

"Increase standard weekly unemployment benefits by $600 for the next four months."

Unless he means, that the workers will keep health insurance (Danmark style?), it would be actually a downgrade, esp for worker whose wages were much less than natl median.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #906 on: April 09, 2020, 03:27:40 PM »

What percentage of Americans go to games anyway?  Plus, people are viewing it from the prism of today, not the prism of the coronavirus landscape when these events happen.

But, regardless, I'm in the minority of people who will have no hesitation about doing anything I normally would.  I'm not scared of this virus.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #907 on: April 09, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2020, 03:50:19 PM by Virginiá »

"Increase standard weekly unemployment benefits by $600 for the next four months."

That is if you can actually get on unemployment benefits to begin with. I can tell you for a fact that Florida's system, which was designed by Rick Scott to be barely usable (both technically and in terms of rules/regulations, for political reasons), and has been trashed in local media for weeks because of a website that barely functions and crashes seemingly every day, phone numbers that are constantly busy (iirc, by the department's own statistics, only a mere fraction of the million+ calls were answered), and few benefits are actually being paid out. As far as I know, it's like this in some other states, to a lesser degree. Then you also have to know that even in a well-functioning system, not everyone qualifies, even if they were employed at the time of this pandemic.

Depending on what state you live in, the unemployment boost from the stimulus is easily next to useless because you can't collect any benefits whatsoever anyway.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #908 on: April 09, 2020, 03:42:05 PM »

What percentage of Americans go to games anyway?  Plus, people are viewing it from the prism of today, not the prism of the coronavirus landscape when these events happen.

But, regardless, I'm in the minority of people who will have no hesitation about doing anything I normally would.  I'm not scared of this virus.

I don't understand how you square that view with your username?  Would you at least have the opposite view if the virus was most dangerous to children and particularly newborns instead of the elderly?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #909 on: April 09, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »

WSJ Opinion:  Virus mortality crashes as economic misery skyrockets.

forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #910 on: April 09, 2020, 04:09:26 PM »

WSJ should be embarrassed for publishing this dog crap and paying this moron. A journalist and "economist" with zero medical credentials belittling the advice of medical experts and accusing them of a waging a "war" on the economy? Get the fkcu out of here with that. I think COVID-19 will be a crystallizing moment for the country, when it finally realizes its had just about enough of the right wing's war on expertise and knowledge.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #911 on: April 09, 2020, 04:10:17 PM »

https://www.ft.com/content/f6768727-e04c-4483-ab24-37a8da4d7437
Trump reaches respirator mask deal with 3M
US to import more than 160m N95 respirators from overseas over three months
The Trump administration has reached a deal with 3M, the US manufacturer, to import 166.5m N95 respirator masks into America from abroad, easing tensions between the White House and the Minnesota-based company.
Since the start of the outbreak in the US, 3M had ramped up its US production of N95 masks to 35m a month, and is planning to further increase that in the coming months. However, the White House had been piling pressure on 3M to both limit its sales to foreign buyers, including Canada and in Latin America, and to import N95 masks it was producing internationally for overseas markets.

According to the terms of the deal, 3M will import 55m masks a month into the US for three months, mainly from a flagship facility in China, but also smaller volumes from other plants in Singapore and South Korea, the company said. None of the masks will be coming from 3M’s other manufacturing facilities around the world, including Europe.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #912 on: April 09, 2020, 04:12:44 PM »

WSJ should be embarrassed for publishing this dog crap and paying this moron. A journalist and "economist" with zero medical credentials belittling the advice of medical experts and accusing them of a waging a "war" on the economy? Get the fkcu out of here with that. I think COVID-19 will be a crystallizing moment for the country, when it finally realizes its had just about enough of the right wing's war on expertise and knowledge.

The way I know when someone doesn't have a true rebuttal to the point is when they start to engage in ad hominem attacks.  Good job.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #913 on: April 09, 2020, 04:22:12 PM »

FT's Martin Wolf makes similar point.

https://www.ft.com/content/b427db58-77e6-11ea-af44-daa3def9ae03
We must focus attention on our next steps
The lockdowns are necessary to get the disease under control — but they must be brief

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. The journey through this pandemic is going to be long and hard. We cannot know where it will end, although it is hard not to speculate. What we must do instead is focus on the steps right ahead if we are to avoid falling off our narrow path into mass deaths on one side, or economic devastation on the other. If we do not avoid these calamities in the near future, we risk chaos ahead. Even if we do manage to do so, we will not return to the normality we took for granted until recently. For that, we must at least wait for a cure or vaccine. The economic and social damage will last even longer.

Analysis by the OECD illuminates the economic disruption ahead. This is no ordinary recession or even depression, caused by a collapse in demand. Economic activity is being switched off, partly because people fear contact and partly because governments have told them to stay at home. The immediate impact of these actions could be a reduction in gross domestic product in the Group of Seven leading high-income countries of between 20 and 30 per cent. Every month that large parts of our economies stay closed, annual growth might fall by 2 percentage points.

Moreover, the costs are unequally shared. Unskilled workers suffer worst from loss of jobs. People and businesses able to work online, stay working. Those that cannot do so, do not.

You need to re-open economy to help (in first place) unskilled poor workers.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #914 on: April 09, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »

Never heard of anything with a combination like this before: asymptomatic transmission for weeks; efficiency of spread; can live for 3 days on some surfaces, like plastic & steel; a new study showing a median R0 value of 5.7; possible transmission via simply talking & breathing; etc.... & now it can "reactivate."

Wtf is going on!?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #915 on: April 09, 2020, 04:26:26 PM »

And yet, doctors with no economic background can insist on shutting down the world for indefinite periods of time, ruining billions of lives in the process, and that's fine because muh M.D.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #916 on: April 09, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »

Yeah, it infects both the upper and lower respiratory tracts, the digestive system, and the central nervous system, and despite theorized zoonotic origin it already had a spike protein very good at recognizing human ACE2 cell receptors. It's like the "perfect virus" or the "nightmare virus" in terms of transmissibility; take your pick.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #917 on: April 09, 2020, 04:37:52 PM »

That is if you can actually get on unemployment benefits to begin with. I can tell you for a fact that Florida's system, which was designed by Rick Scott to be barely usable (both technically and in terms of rules/regulations, for political reasons), and has been trashed in local media for weeks because of a website that barely functions and crashes seemingly every day, phone numbers that are constantly busy (iirc, by the department's own statistics, only a mere fraction of the million+ calls were answered), and few benefits are actually being paid out. As far as I know, it's like this in some other states, to a lesser degree. Then you also have to know that even in a well-functioning system, not everyone qualifies, even if they were employed at the time of this pandemic.

Depending on what state you live in, the unemployment boost from the stimulus is easily next to useless because you can't collect any benefits whatsoever anyway.

So they will have to fix it. Most people will get their money. Likely later than sooner, because US system wasn't designed for that.

Not only R struggles. Not only because of R.

In Connecticut, Gov. Ned Lamont warned that residents might not see their first unemployment payment until early May because labor department staff are overwhelmed and the computer systems are outdated; after Florida’s unemployment website failed, the state reverted to paper applications.

The unemployment insurance system has gone underfunded for decades, and the consequences are becoming evident, says Heidi Shierholz, director of policy at the Economic Policy Institute, a left-leaning think tank. “We don’t have a system that’s agile and strong enough to handle the avalanche of claims,” she says. “There will be delays, and people will suffer needlessly.”

https://time.com/5816775/coronavirus-unemployment-stimulus/

Kind reminder:
Pr. Hillary would never get such a good Populist Stimulus through Congress because Evil Republicans wouldn't let her.
Pr. Cruz would never get such a good Populist Stimulus through Congress because he is evil and wouldn't want to  Angry
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #918 on: April 09, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »

And yet, doctors with no economic background can insist on shutting down the world for indefinite periods of time, ruining billions of lives in the process, and that's fine because muh M.D.

lmao doctors didn't shut down the world, the virus did

even if you accept that asinine claim at face value, nearly every economist in the US thinks that reopening the economy before the virus is contained for the sake of muh GDP would be bad because... wait for it... an unconstrained virus would further curtail economic activity
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #919 on: April 09, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2020, 04:49:02 PM by Virginiá »

So they will have to fix it. Most people will get their money. Likely later than sooner, because US system wasn't designed for that.

Not only R struggles. Not only because of R.

In Florida's case, the issue has been severely compounded because of 'R struggles.' Few states could be capable of handling the immense flood of benefit applications in a timely fashion, but it works better when you don't design the system to fail so businesses can pay less unemployment taxes because less people are able to collect.

Kind reminder:
Pr. Hillary would never get such a good Populist Stimulus through Congress because Evil Republicans wouldn't let her.
Pr. Cruz would never get such a good Populist Stimulus through Congress because he is evil and wouldn't want to  Angry

Right, Trump is able to get it done because he loves nothing more than spending other people's money, and can force the GOP to do whatever he wants.

Thank you for making the case Democrats have been making for years - that Republicans would, and indeed have already sabotaged the economy to try and win elections - unless a Republican is already in the White House.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #920 on: April 09, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »

even if you accept that asinine claim at face value, nearly every economist in the US thinks that reopening the economy before the virus is contained for the sake of muh GDP would be bad because... wait for it... an unconstrained virus would further curtail economic activity

Wrong and wrong.

The media shut down the world.  They were grossly irresponsible and parroted BAD models, just like many doctors.  I can find tons of economists who think we are committing national suicide.  Tit for tat.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #921 on: April 09, 2020, 05:19:53 PM »

Wrong and wrong.

The media shut down the world.  They were grossly irresponsible and parroted BAD models, just like many doctors.  I can find tons of economists who think we are committing national suicide.  Tit for tat.

I can also find economists who say letting millions die is economic suicide.

Most doctors will accept the reality that we cannot keep the world shut down for months on end. The whole point of flattening the curve is getting things to the point where hospitals can manage it and right now, New York hospitals are unable to manage it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #922 on: April 09, 2020, 05:21:42 PM »

Bad news for Colorado, cases rose by record numbers today after what seemed like a few days of positive trends. Whether this is an outlier is uncertain right now, but we have definitely not hit our peak (Nice try, IHME)
https://covid19.colorado.gov/case-data
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #923 on: April 09, 2020, 05:29:28 PM »

Wrong and wrong.

The “alarmist” models actually underestimated the per day deaths in my very own state right now. More importantly, the majority of economists agree that the best way to recover our economy is to take short term, strict measures and allow for a long term recovery. This game of viral whack a mole you want to play isn’t good for the economy.
 Of course you know all of this. Day after day, your predictions about how this will all blow over, about how the media is overreacting, get disproven. You repeat the same, unproven talking points which have been argued countless times by numerous users here, and yet you keep going.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #924 on: April 09, 2020, 05:42:18 PM »

Economic data studying prior pandemics shows cities and states who locked down and passed protective measures to flatten their curve, had a better economic rebound after the pandemic. Why is this being ignored?

Secondly the wave of death is very real. Just talk to the doctors, nurses, emts, firefighters in Covid-19 hotspots. These people see carnage on the regular and have never experienced anything like this. This is a pandemic, why are people still confused about this?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies