The Bible
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:40:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The Bible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of these statements comes closest to describing your feelings about the Bible?
The Bible is the actual Word of God.

The Bible is the Word of God but not everything in it should be taken literally.

The Bible is a book written by men and is not the Word of God.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: The Bible  (Read 3612 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 07:21:55 PM »

How about this, if you don't believe it is true then I'm sorry for you, if you believe it is true more power to you. We all have different views in life and we are all tend to not change them. So why are we trying to prove to the other side that they are wrong? Lets just agree to disagree on it.

I'm not trying to prove that the Bible is not the word of God.  I have no idea whether or not it is, and quite frankly, I don't believe it's possible to know.  What I am saying is that the fact that the Bible says it's the word of God does not tell us anything about whether or not it actually is.  This is a simple fact that can be obtained through the most basic of logical reasoning.

I was not singling you out, I was just saying to everyone.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 08:13:33 PM »

Option 3.
Bugs

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 10:54:35 PM »

How about this, if you don't believe it is true then I'm sorry for you, if you believe it is true more power to you. We all have different views in life and we are all tend to not change them. So why are we trying to prove to the other side that they are wrong? Lets just agree to disagree on it.

I'm not trying to prove that the Bible is not the word of God.  I have no idea whether or not it is, and quite frankly, I don't believe it's possible to know.  What I am saying is that the fact that the Bible says it's the word of God does not tell us anything about whether or not it actually is.  This is a simple fact that can be obtained through the most basic of logical reasoning.

The Bible itself would tend to agree with Gabu.  John 5:31 says (Jesus talking):If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid."  An external testimony is therefore necessary.  In the case of the Bible, it deals with the spiritual realm which is entirely separate from the physical, and must be experienced by spiritual means.  No physical application can prove or disprove the Bible.  I do not envy those of you who are trapped in the physical realm and encourage you to look beyond it.  Only then can you answer the question on this thread. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 11:59:31 PM »

I think that it's important to keep in mind that the Bible is not really a single book. It is a composite of many works, produced for a variety of reasons.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2006, 12:05:25 AM »

The Bible itself would tend to agree with Gabu.  John 5:31 says (Jesus talking):If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid."  An external testimony is therefore necessary.  In the case of the Bible, it deals with the spiritual realm which is entirely separate from the physical, and must be experienced by spiritual means.  No physical application can prove or disprove the Bible.  I do not envy those of you who are trapped in the physical realm and encourage you to look beyond it.  Only then can you answer the question on this thread. 

I'm not attempting to make any claims about the validity of the Bible; I'm just giving a logical analysis of the action of backing up one's claim that the Bible is the word of God with a quote from the Bible itself.

I would wager that every single person who reads the Bible forms a different theory in his head regarding both exactly what it's talking about and which parts can be trusted; quite frankly, it would be highly arrogant of me to attempt to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't believe about it.  As far as I'm concerned, that's your business.  If you ask, I can give my take on it, but I've never asserted it to be the be-all and end-all.

However, the Bible still exists in a realm in which logic applies, and as such, anything involving it that is blatantly illogical (such as using it to prove itself) is still blatantly illogical.  I see absolutely no reason why the supernatural would cease to be logical; if there were no reason for something to be the case, then why would it be the case?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2006, 12:59:21 AM »

However, the Bible still exists in a realm in which logic applies.

You're obviously not from America Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2006, 01:08:45 AM »

Option 1 (Christian)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 01:16:31 AM »

option 1
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 01:39:14 AM »

I would say that option #3 is the non-idiot option, but of course many idiots who believe in other idiotic religions would vote #3.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 02:31:05 AM »

However, the Bible still exists in a realm in which logic applies.

You're obviously not from America Smiley

Har har har.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 03:52:49 AM »

^^^^
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2006, 12:16:24 PM »

Somewhere between 2 and 3.

I believe that the authors genuinely believed it to be the Word of God, and I respect that.

But ultimately it was written by men, who are fallible.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies