How big do protests get on possible Roe decision?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:55:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How big do protests get on possible Roe decision?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: How big do protests get on possible Roe decision?
Major protests, possible riots

General peaceful protests (Women's March, March for Our Lives etc.)

Small protests, won't amount to much

Protests won't happen until the decision is final

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: How big do protests get on possible Roe decision?  (Read 3302 times)
Cassandra
Situationist

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 09:31:43 AM »
« edited: May 03, 2022, 10:24:22 AM by Cassandra »

The protests will be larger than the first Women’s March and most likely last two to three months of people being on the street.

I'm extremely skeptical these protests will be any more than liberals marching around with signs. I'd be surprised if they lasted for months, and I certainly don't understand why the OP added a "riot" option to the poll lol. Some anarchist kids might smash some windows somewhere, but there isn't going to be any looting over this.

Maybe Occupy all over again?
It's been forgotten in the retelling, but the occupy movement brought together an incredible diverse set up people. Ron Paul libertarians and legalize weed guys mingled with anarchists and communists, generally apolitical people of all stripes from artists to hobos showed up to see what was going on and ended up sticking around. Remember that streamer Tim Pool, who's now an alt-right figure, got his start at Zucotti Park.

The only people who are going to show out for this are liberals. People who vote for Democrats and anarchists, who are at their core ultra-liberals who just don't believe in voting. Of course abortion restrictions touch a much broader swathe of the country then those demographics, but those are the only people I can see thinking to act to a supreme court decision "politically."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »

Bigger than movements like BLM or 1/6.

No, because abortion is still legal it just can be banned in some R states, it will always be legal in blue states like Cali and IL and NY that have safe D state legislature

General protest
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2022, 10:11:21 AM »

The protests will be larger than the first Women’s March and most likely last two to three months of people being on the street.

It's been forgotten in the retelling, but the occupy movement brought together an incredible diverse set up people. Ron Paul libertarians and legalize weed guys mingled with anarchists and communists, generally apolitical people of all stripes from artists to hobos showed up to see what was going on and ended up sticking around. Remember that streamer Tim Pool, who's now an alt-right figure, got his start at Zucotti Park.

The only people who are going to show out for this are liberals. People who vote for Democrats and anarchists, who are at their core ultra-liberals who just don't believe in voting. Of course abortion restrictions touch a much broader swathe of the country then those demographics, but those are the only people I can see thinking to act to a supreme court decision "politically."

I'm extremely skeptical these protests will be any more than liberals marching around with signs. I'd be surprised if they lasted for months, and I certainly don't understand why the OP added a "riot" option to the poll lol. Some anarchist kids might smash some windows somewhere, but there isn't going to be any looting over this.

Maybe Occupy all over again?
I really doubt most liberals will protest during a Biden presidency and the ensuing burying under the rug the Democrats will do over abortion, the thing is everyone is worked up over Roe that I expect it will be mixed like the Women’s March but with more participation.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2022, 10:18:35 AM »

I'll say riots, because the left takes every sh**tty opportunity to loot and destroy cities.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2022, 10:39:58 AM »

Bigger than movements like BLM or 1/6.
Disagree strongly. While there will be large protests, I think it will be primarily women. BLM had men and women, of all races in June 2020.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2022, 10:46:23 AM »

They were protesting here in Cali over the weekend the protest aren't gonna be as big as Floyd protest for sure
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2022, 10:54:49 AM »

I'll say riots, because the left takes every sh**tty opportunity to loot and destroy cities.
I doubt it. Any protests would be almost entirely women. Women don't typically loot or burn things down.

Imagine the women protests on 1/21/17, turned up to 11. So nothing like the BLM we saw in Summer 2020. Which was partly fueled by COVID shutdowns.

And unlike police violence, which elected officials can immediately target by arresting bad cops, there really nothing you can do to over turn a ruling by a judge since its the highest court of the land.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2022, 11:15:55 AM »

I am surprised to see some saying that there will not be significant protests. Nearly all of the women in my life see this as their top political issue and are far more likely to hit the streets for this than any other issue. I expect that this is common and that there will be large-scale protests in all major cities.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2022, 12:58:21 PM »

One billion Facebook comments
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2022, 02:33:41 PM »

And the right takes every opportunity to loot and destroy democracy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2022, 05:42:25 PM »

Get ready for some mostly peaceful protests.

Still repeating that old trope, huh?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2022, 05:46:49 PM »

streamer Tim Pool, who's now an alt-right figure

Roll Eyes
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2022, 06:43:45 PM »

Is he not? I thought he was running with that crowd these days.

Or is it the label "alt-right" that is offensive?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2022, 06:57:55 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 07:10:05 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

They'll be Women's Protest size and last for maybe half the summer then everyone involved with them will accept how powerless they really are in the face of our right wing dystopia and give up, as they should. And any media attention to abortion rights, good or bad, will cease before the midterm election season really ramps up, therefore proving how this will have no net benefit for Democrats' chances for the party not to go extinct this year.

DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2022, 07:50:15 PM »

Alt-right is a meaningless label. I don't know what Tim Pool is, if he believes anything. All you have to know about him is that every "opinion" he shares has the rubber-stamp of approval from the Republican establishment. He's a hack through and through, just another one of those YouTubers that saw dollar signs in being a hack that tells other hacks what they want to hear while pretending to be neutral or even a disaffected liberal. He's not the first and won't be the last.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2022, 08:07:31 PM »

They'll be Women's Protest size and last for maybe half the summer then everyone involved with them will accept how powerless they really are in the face of our right wing dystopia and give up, as they should. And any media attention to abortion rights, good or bad, will cease before the midterm election season really ramps up, therefore proving how this will have no net benefit for Democrats' chances for the party not to go extinct this year.

Progressive Pessimist, your post is really pessimistic. Women will never give up. We have been making inroads into equality and women's rights in incremental steps down through history. Some forward, some backward. Yes we often do feel powerless and resigned, but we bounce back. We are used to this. That's why nobody will ever be able to tell a female not to have an abortion because we will find a way. And not only that, our numbers are growing and our voices are getting louder.

I believe there will be a net benefit for Democrats in the coming election. In fact, I believe that because of this latest abortion revelation, women are going to come out in droves to vote against the GOP. Against repression and against going backwards in time.

You'll see.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2022, 08:16:52 PM »

Hes an anticorporate antiwar welfare state liberal who dislikes woke democrats. Calling him alt right is the same as calling bill maher, glen greenwald, or jimmy dore alt right.

Left and right is not defined by which political party you lean towards.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2022, 08:21:17 PM »

This is pretty much it, though I this specific issue is not one I mind being put to rest.

But yeah, this country is pretty much Russia with more money, two parties instead of one, and a less logical language.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2022, 08:24:01 PM »

I'm terrified that Democrats will shoot themselves in the foot and literally destroy all their cities.

I'm worried places like Chicago or DC may be completely burnt down this summer.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2022, 08:28:26 PM »

I'm terrified that Democrats will shoot themselves in the foot and literally destroy all their cities.

Are you serious?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2022, 08:57:19 PM »

I can see there being riots. These past two years have shown us that people will get violent in the case they strongly oppose the major news story of the season.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2022, 09:28:59 PM »

In the case of the latter it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

The biggest riots peaceful protests will surely be in DC, California and Texas. Red states are most affected by this, and plenty of Democrats live in all of them.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2022, 09:32:45 PM »

Hes an anticorporate antiwar welfare state liberal who dislikes woke democrats. Calling him alt right is the same as calling bill maher, glen greenwald, or jimmy dore alt right.
so you're telling me he's a loser?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2022, 09:33:10 PM »

It's a completely horrible thought.

Especially when "the left" could just destroy small towns and suburbs instead!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2022, 10:16:59 PM »

Not that big relative to expectations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies