How big do protests get on possible Roe decision?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:53:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How big do protests get on possible Roe decision?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: How big do protests get on possible Roe decision?
Major protests, possible riots

General peaceful protests (Women's March, March for Our Lives etc.)

Small protests, won't amount to much

Protests won't happen until the decision is final

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: How big do protests get on possible Roe decision?  (Read 3340 times)
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2022, 09:57:56 PM »

Asking the opinion of the board after the leak of Roe v. Wade being possibly being struck down.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 10:00:29 PM »

Women's March-level, probably bigger than that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 10:01:02 PM »

Maybe a million in DC.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 10:06:25 PM »

Bigger than movements like BLM or 1/6.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 10:09:48 PM »

Easy to see millions nationally, but as far as the biggest individual ones, no one can say for sure. DC & NYC will certainly have the biggest, but the effects of modern local political mobilization makes it far less likely to have any single protest with 1m+ in DC or wherever.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 11:06:42 PM »

Women's March or March 4 Our Lives-level, or possibly Floyd-level sans the riots.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 11:08:59 PM »

Get ready for some mostly peaceful protests.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 11:12:33 PM »

There will be nationwide protesting, but I doubt any rioting. The crowds will mostly be women and there will be a lot less interest from the extremists and agitators than there was in 2020. There will of course be occasional misbehaving people but the idea of the pink beanie women burning down buildings throughout the country is pretty over-the-top and unlikely.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 11:14:53 PM »

I'm thinking like BLM 2.0 levels, but probably/hopefully less violent.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 11:19:57 PM »

Gas is too expensive to travel to protest.
BGBC
joshva
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 11:32:54 PM »

Anyone who thinks this will even compare to Summer 2020 is kidding themselves, but probably something like the protests in response to Trump's election win and the subsequent Women's March.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 02:00:21 AM »

I didn't join the George Floyd protests because I thought a lot of the movement was really sketchy.

I would absolutely join a pro-choice march in light of this decision.

So what's that tell you.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 02:09:22 AM »

I didn't join the George Floyd protests because I thought a lot of the movement was really sketchy.

I would absolutely join a pro-choice march in light of this decision.

So what's that tell you.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at earlier. These protests will draw a completely different crowd than the 2020 ones. The pussy-hat protesters aren't going to be burning down gas stations and Mexican restaurants for two months straight, lol.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 02:12:55 AM »

I'm sceptical. I really doubt that that it will amount to much at all, but I am very ready to be proven wrong.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 02:35:06 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 02:51:25 AM by roxas11 »

Maybe if many those so called protesters had actually showed up to vote in 2016 we would not even be in this mess in the first place. hate to say it, but the reality is roe v wade is dead in all the protesting in the world at this point is not going to change that

Let this be an important lesson to those who did not show up to vote in 2016.
Elections have consequences and unfortunately the American people unknowingly killed Roe v. Wade the second Mitch McConnell became majority leader in 2014 and Trump became president in 2016
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 02:39:46 AM »

Maybe if many those so called protesters had actually showed up to vote in 2016 we would not even be this mess in the first place. hate to say it, but the reality is roe v wade is dead in all the protesting in the world at this point is not going to change that

Let this be an important lesson to those who did not show up to to vote in 2016.
Elections have consequences and unfortunately the American people unknowingly killed Roe v. Wade the second Mitch McConnell became majority leader in 2014 and Trump became president in 2016

Yup. F everyone who refused to vote for Hillary.

No matter your reasoning for that, YOU hold blame for this decision now.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2022, 06:20:39 AM »

Maybe if many those so called protesters had actually showed up to vote in 2016 we would not even be in this mess in the first place. hate to say it, but the reality is roe v wade is dead in all the protesting in the world at this point is not going to change that

Let this be an important lesson to those who did not show up to vote in 2016.

The people who care enough to protest about abortion rights probably weren't the ones who disliked Hillary so much that they stayed at home. This may be a gross generalization but the 2016 non voters that people talk about would be young men who don't really care about abortion but have strongly left-wing views on other issues.
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2022, 06:22:45 AM »

Maybe if many those so called protesters had actually showed up to vote in 2016 we would not even be this mess in the first place. hate to say it, but the reality is roe v wade is dead in all the protesting in the world at this point is not going to change that

Let this be an important lesson to those who did not show up to to vote in 2016.

I hear you but would she even have been able to get her nominees confirmed? Would Mitch have held them up until a likely 2020 loss just as he did with Garland?
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2022, 06:24:36 AM »

Protest where it matters - outside politicians' offices.  Demand town halls, and protest there.  There's no point in just doing it anywhere.

Go to where the power is.  Do it at Adam Laxalt and Herschel Walker's rallies and campaign HQs.  Those are the two men that will have an outsized say in all of this if they are to be elected in November.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2022, 06:31:04 AM »

I hear you but would she even have been able to get her nominees confirmed? Would Mitch have held them up until a likely 2020 loss just as he did with Garland?

She would of eventually found a way to just push them through and make the new SCOTUS rule on it.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2022, 06:32:49 AM »

I expect a lot of protesting. Less clear with rioting - I don't think the same sort of conditions that allowed rioting in 2020 exist to the same degree and it's also a different crowd, but that doesn't completely rule it out.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2022, 06:50:54 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 07:02:06 AM by Person Man »

I expect a lot of protesting. Less clear with rioting - I don't think the same sort of conditions that allowed rioting in 2020 exist to the same degree and it's also a different crowd, but that doesn't completely rule it out.

It really depends. Are nationalists going to try the same false flag tactics that they did against BLM? Or anarchist going to try to get involved? Ever heard of the Stonewall riots? Maybe they’ll be a nationwide thing. It’s a similar group of people. In general though, you’re right. People with more to lose won’t risk it with another CHAZ or January 6 type situation.

I think the biggest risk of violence starts when states start trying to enforce their conflicting laws against each other.  Or trying to enforce their laws at all.

It’s going to be a sh**t show. Especially when they try to take cases like this trial. Ever heard of jury nullification? You’re about to.

And I am not too sure about how likely it is that our posts on here will come up during a voir dire and an abortion trial if we are chosen as jurors. Will Democrats be preempted because the prosecution will always say they all go to acquit? Will defense attorneys always try to Preempt Republicans because they will argue that they will always try to convict?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2022, 08:58:56 AM »

The protests will be larger than the first Women’s March and most likely last two to three months of people being on the street.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2022, 09:18:17 AM »

The protests will be larger than the first Women’s March and most likely last two to three months of people being on the street.

I'm extremely skeptical these protests will be any more than liberals marching around with signs. I'd be surprised if they lasted for months, and I certainly don't understand why the OP added a "riot" option to the poll lol. Some anarchist kids might smash some windows somewhere, but there isn't going to be any looting over this.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2022, 09:19:48 AM »

I'm extremely skeptical these protests will be any more than liberals marching around with signs. I'd be surprised if they lasted for months, and I certainly don't understand why the OP added a "riot" option to the poll lol. Some anarchist kids might smash some windows somewhere, but there isn't going to be any looting over this.

Maybe Occupy all over again?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies