Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:43:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 46049 times)
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2020, 06:49:07 PM »

He's claiming now that he misspoke.

And that what he meant was look at all evidence before filing charges including evidence that wouldn't support a charge. Not to imply there's exonerating evidence.

But that's ONE HELL OF AN AWFUL MISSPEAK.

It wasn't a misspeak he accidentally let the truth out. That why most of us in the Black community don't expect an indictment. The whole press conference was more a less a stunt to calm suburban Karens.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2020, 06:57:54 PM »

He's claiming now that he misspoke.

And that what he meant was look at all evidence before filing charges including evidence that wouldn't support a charge. Not to imply there's exonerating evidence.

But that's ONE HELL OF AN AWFUL MISSPEAK.

It wasn't a misspeak he accidentally let the truth out. That why most of us in the Black community don't expect an indictment. The whole press conference was more a less a stunt to calm suburban Karens.

Yes, a lot of suburban people fled the cities because they don't like crime/looting, but they should have charged them right away.

A lot of people think this may flip MN to Trump.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2020, 06:59:20 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2020, 07:10:36 PM by Storr »

So what are the chances the cop walks? 90%? 95%?
It's definitely not that high. But, I could see it becoming a Rodney King scenario where the defense team of the officers asks for and receives a change of venue (to a what I assume would end up being a whiter suburban county) due to the intense media coverage about the incident. Then the officers end up being acquitted by a presumably not all that diverse jury (the King jury was all non-African American with a bi-racial man, Latina woman, and an Asian woman while the rest of the jury was white).
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »

Is there any way Walz can intercede here? I honestly don't know, hence asking. Obviously he can't arrest people by fiat, but can he somehow recommend charges? The mayor already has.

Ugh. Minnesota and Wisconsin both have a very long history of severe racism, and it's finally boiling over in Minnesota. I hope our leaders and people rise to the occasion and help bring about real change. Minnesota has the chance to do it now. Wisconsin doesn't.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2020, 07:17:20 PM »

So where was the police department last night? Did officers just not show up?
They sent 75 cops to the house of the cop that killed Floyd

You do realize those cops aren't Minneapolis PD? Right?

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »

The history of America’s policing institutions contain an important, and often overlooked, quality that inclines it to racialized police brutality. The National Law Enforcement Museum has this to say about the slave patrols that played a critical role in the development of American (especially Southern) policing institutions,

According to historian Gary Potter, slave patrols served three main functions.

“(1) to chase down, apprehend, and return to their owners, runaway slaves; (2) to provide a form of organized terror to deter slave revolts; and, (3) to maintain a form of discipline for slave-workers who were subject to summary justice, outside the law.”

Having such origins without taking drastic steps to reform the institutions founded on or influenced by legally sanctioned harassment, violence, and murder of dehumanized people of color, is yielding the expected results. We have organized, state-sanctioned, and culturally normalized mass harassment, intimidation, surveillance, violence, and murder being perpetrated against one of our country’s historically most marginalized racial groups. That is what these protests, which have erupted into violence at times, are about. A violently racist police force with an institutional history of racialized slave hunting continuing to senselessly murder African American men (when they aren’t harassing or imprisoning them to work in for-profit prisons for humiliatingly little compensation as a form of constitutionally sanctioned slavery) and not have a government promptly responding to these appalling systematic civil rights violations, a culture and media that concerns itself with it only to virtue signal or gain political points, and a society that is more outraged about destroyed or stolen inanimate objects than yet another cold blooded public execution of an unarmed African American man. But, this is what our police have always done and will always do until dramatic changes are implemented.

Slave patrols were no less violent in their control of African Americans; they beat and terrorized as well. Their distinction was that they were legally compelled to do so by local authorities. In this sense, it was considered a civic duty—one that in some areas could result in a fine if avoided.

But, we can’t forget this either - the police are acting within the realm of what is deemed legally acceptable by our lawmakers. Otherwise, crimes like what these cops did would be promptly punished in all cases of police violence.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2020, 07:44:17 PM »

There is a video of a man breaking the windows at the AutoZone. He is very clearly not with the protestors.

The video was removed from YouTube but people have shared copies on Twitter.

This has launched theories that the police themselves instigated the actual rioting and looting. I'm not claiming this is true, simply sharing the discussion I've seen. The video above in regards to AutoZone definitely shows someone not from the protests starting property damage.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #207 on: May 28, 2020, 07:59:06 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2020, 08:53:47 PM by Mine eyes have seen the glory of the crushing of the Trump »

There is a video of a man breaking the windows at the AutoZone. He is very clearly not with the protestors.

The video was removed from YouTube but people have shared copies on Twitter.

This has launched theories that the police themselves instigated the actual rioting and looting. I'm not claiming this is true, simply sharing the discussion I've seen. The video above in regards to AutoZone definitely shows someone not from the protests starting property damage.
(Waiting for further verification.)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2020, 08:01:14 PM »

The such-and-such-title of the department just gave a presser at CNN.  

In response to a question about whether charges will be filed against the offending officer(s), he began by giving the cookie-cutter "I can't make a judgment here on the spot" answer.  Fine.  

But he followed it up with something to the effect of "what happened in the video is horrendous, but there also may be evidence that renders it unnecessary for to charges to be filed."  

Even if that is the case, it was the wrong thing to say.  People are pretty universally angry right now.  

Trumpian levels of stubborn denial here.

Let it be known to all business owners and innocent civilians that cops would rather watch burning and looting than admit to any wrongdoing.

Like, seriously? What **evidence** could possibly justify the officer's actions (or his fellow officers' inaction)?

The victim was a black, you see.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2020, 08:09:35 PM »

The such-and-such-title of the department just gave a presser at CNN.  

In response to a question about whether charges will be filed against the offending officer(s), he began by giving the cookie-cutter "I can't make a judgment here on the spot" answer.  Fine.  

But he followed it up with something to the effect of "what happened in the video is horrendous, but there also may be evidence that renders it unnecessary for to charges to be filed."  

Even if that is the case, it was the wrong thing to say.  People are pretty universally angry right now.  

Trumpian levels of stubborn denial here.

Let it be known to all business owners and innocent civilians that cops would rather watch burning and looting than admit to any wrongdoing.

Oops what I must have meant to say is:

Cops would rather encourage burning and looting than admit to any wrongdoing.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2020, 08:16:58 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2020, 09:05:02 PM by lfromnj »

If that cop AP is true he needs to be arrested now.

However I would urge caution as it doesn't seem certain and could be doctored. We already had one "MAGA" cop story and I wouldn't want a repeat of that here.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2020, 08:17:54 PM »

They haven't even arrested the murdering one yet.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2020, 08:25:02 PM »

However I would urge caution as it doesn't seem certain and could be doctored.

If you watch the video you can hear the protestors telling him not to do it.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2020, 08:25:47 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2020, 08:39:06 PM by lfromnj »

However I would urge caution as it doesn't seem certain and could be doctored.

If you watch the video you can hear the protestors telling him not to do it.

I did watch it, what I am saying is it looks likely it was a cop but those photos aren't enough evidence. And I still wouldn't try to dox an individual cop yet. I would recommend BRTD temporarily delete that tweet.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2020, 08:31:44 PM »

Yeah, I had seen the guesses on who it could be, but as the debunked pictures from earlier in this thread show, it's hard to determine, and the perpetrator had a full mask. Whoever it is needs to be brought to justice, but I'm suspicious of quick-done doxxing.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »

https://youtu.be/3OpuIbtgTZ0
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2020, 09:17:58 PM »

Even Free Republic is outraged by this: https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3848723/posts

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3848702/posts?q=1&;page=1

They pushed back against members who tried to defend this

Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2020, 09:40:48 PM »

It's about time. I never understood why some segments on the right chose to rally around the police officers in question in these types of situations. I'm not a Conservative or Republican but I always felt that Republicans had the opportunity to challenge Democrats on this issue since most DAs and Police Chief who failed to deliver justice were in fact mostly Democrats.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2020, 10:28:29 PM »

Looks like the undercover cop story is gaining some traction.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2020, 10:30:21 PM »

It's about time. I never understood why some segments on the right chose to rally around the police officers in question in these types of situations. I'm not a Conservative or Republican but I always felt that Republicans had the opportunity to challenge Democrats on this issue since most DAs and Police Chief who failed to deliver justice were in fact mostly Democrats.

It is because a lot of the hardcore SJWs paint all police as bad, and a lot of white male police officers turned more Republican. It was 50-50 in the past, but even in deep blue NJ, I see a lot of white male cops spout Trumpian talking points.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2020, 10:45:36 PM »

They just burned the Minneapolis Police precinct.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2020, 10:47:48 PM »

They just burned the Minneapolis Police precinct.

Who is they?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2020, 10:59:47 PM »

The rioters/protesters
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2020, 11:01:35 PM »

Hard to say at this point.

But yes, the third precinct is burning. This is where the fired officers were from.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2020, 11:07:33 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies