Canadian by-elections, 2013 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:15:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2013 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2013  (Read 72061 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: February 06, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »

Robert Benzie on Twitter: Dwight Duncan will resign his seat next week. Windsor-Tecumseh now opens up. Will Dippers try and grab it?

Should be a pretty easy Dipper pick up. Grits don't have a star and the NDP are riding high in the polls.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »

Hatman, when you say your assembly is based off the 2011 results, do you mean federal or provincial?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »

So why the heck did Penashue resign? It seems like he could have ridden out the scandal. Now he's giving up his seat.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:44:46 PM »

Fixed: 63-20-17. Looks like Yvonne Jones will be Labrador's next MP.

Not even close.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »

Leaning towards a Liberal hold, assuming we're all basking in the Trudeau afterglow.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »

Here's Brian Topp's chance to run for the NDP, lose, and never be heard from again...

You aren't the only which proposed that.
Who ran there in 2011?

Julie Demers.

The NDP should run someone from the Haitian community, they make up 20% of the riding.

Oh, I know her, she is a very kind person, but I'm not sure she is the right person to do that.

Trudeau's still in his honeymoon. I'd write off Bourassa for the NDP.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »

Here's Brian Topp's chance to run for the NDP, lose, and never be heard from again...

What's wrong with Topp?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »

No one has brought up a vacancy in Nova Scotia? Manning MacDonald (L-Cape Breton South) resigned last week from the provincial legislature.  The riding has been Liberal since 1974 and will likely stay that way. Interestingly, the CCF held it in 1941. 

Being so close to a provincial election and with redistribution (correct me here, but it looks like CB will lose a riding and the district of Cape Breton South is now divided into Northside-Westmount, Sydney and Sydney River-Mira-Louisbourg, only Sydney will go NDP, the other two should be Liberal) there will be no by-election

Sydney River-Mira-Louisbourg & Northside Westmount both have sitting Tories running in them in the next election. The Liberals will probably get screwed out of a seat based on CB South getting divvied up between Tory & NDP areas.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:24 AM »

There are stories that Jennifer Hollett of MuchMusic fame may run for the NDP nomination. Her bio sounds great!

http://www.jenniferhollett.com/

I remember her. She looks so different with out her hair done up.

Anyways in other news, Dartmouth North has now been vacated, but I guess it doesn't matter due to a provincial election expected.

Zinck says he's running as an independent. May screw the NDP out of what should have been a safe seat.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 07:30:48 AM »

There are stories that Jennifer Hollett of MuchMusic fame may run for the NDP nomination. Her bio sounds great!

Anyways in other news, Dartmouth North has now been vacated, but I guess it doesn't matter due to a provincial election expected.

Zinck says he's running as an independent. May screw the NDP out of what should have been a safe seat.

Would ANYONE vote for him?

He'd get a few votes. The problem is that there's been such a massive swing to the Liberals that it wouldn't take much vote splitting to for the Liberals to win.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »

I think that if Zinck runs as an independent a: He will get very very very few votes (ie: 100-200 at most)  and b: what few votes he gets will be contrarian "none of the above" types who otherwise wouldn't vote at all or would spread their votes evenly.

Who is the NDP running in Dartmouth North given that under normal circumstances it should be relatively strong seat for them?

They don't have a candidate yet. I have no idea who might be seeking the nomination either.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »

I like the sounds of Jenn, she could be a very good fit for this young, relatively-yuppieish riding (i say that due to the St.Lawrence/Waterfront condo goers who are much less party oriented and more candidate swayed i feel. As well as the bourgeois Cabbagetown, she's a modern feeling social democrat/social justice candidate)
The Liberals should not be so quick to nominate Smitherman; he lost the mayoralty and his (and Kyle Rae's) hand picked council candidate was defeated by Wong-Tam, he rubs many people very badly.

I'm still sold on the idea that this by-election is a building block for the NDP, the candidate who runs now should also stick around till 2015 when the boundaries will be more favourable (spend the time getting more intrenched into the local communities like St.Jamestown, Regent Park, Cabbagetown and the waterfront/St.Lawrence)

Dartmouth North, demographically, feels pretty safe for the NDP. Any regional breakdowns for NS? I remember hearing/reading that the NDP were still quite strong in the Halifax region compared to the province wide numbers? Its always been (recently since the 90s, their strongest area)

Nothing in the polls. Looking at past election results, the NDP have averaged about 10 points better in Halifax than their provincial numbers. Actually, I take back my comment about the Liberals picking up Dartmouth North. I just noticed that their candidate in 2009 was a popular city councilor. He polled way above the norm for the Liberals in the seat but won't be running again.

You are right abut Dartmouth North demographics. A large part of the riding is NDP friendly in the sense that Vancouver East is NDP friendly.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 08:03:20 PM »

Does anyone think Wynne calls a fall election, or we wait for another round of budget chicken next year?

I could see her calling an election while Trudeau love is still in the air. However, the more likely scenario is Wynne daring the NDP to force an election.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »

The Ontario Liberals have apparently decided to dispense with any pretence to local democracy and instead Wynne has simply handpicked friends of hers as candidates. Pro-Ford city councillor Peter Milczyn will run in Etobicoke-Lakeshore while CivicAction chair Mitzie Hunter will run in Scarborough-Guildwood and the byelections will all apparently take place on Aug. 1 just before the long weekend - so make sure turnout is as low as possible.

Why is anyone a Liberal anymore?

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »

The OLP government since 2011, hell even 2007, has been pretty horrible for sure, but Tim Hudak shouldn't be dog catcher, let alone Premier, so I keep voting Liberal.

Why are you a Liberal federally though?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 08:40:17 AM »

It just goes to show you that the Liberals have no ideological base. They're running a former NDPer and a Ford-ite in the same set of by-elections.

I'm still amazed that Scott "I'm ok with private health care" Brison and Bob Rae managed to sit in the same caucus for so long Shocked
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 11:59:48 AM »

Posted this in Canada General Discussion already but...

Al Gretzky is running for the Freedom Party?!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 06:35:11 AM »

I thought forum tended to over poll liberals?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »

I can't believe i am going to beat Hatman to this...

Ottawa Public School Board Vice-Chair, Bronwyn Funiciello, Wins Ontario NDP Nomination in Ottawa South

I was there! If you were following me on Twitter, you would have seen I was the first to report it. (I basically wrote the message before the announcement, and hit send on my cellphone when it was made Wink )

I'm thinking Wali lost badly. He had a large contingent at the meeting (signs, etc - but more obviously the high Somali turnout) but none of them could vote. I knew right away when they all left the room when voting took place that he was going to lose.

Were they non-citizens or is Wali the worst political organizer ever?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »

Also posted in the General thread. Can't say I'll miss him, and Provencher is a deeply blue seat. Guess Harper will call them all for the same time.

Indeed. Provencher & Toronto Centre ought to be snoozers. Any chance of Bourassa changing hands?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 06:12:47 AM »

Snoozer... as expected.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »

Final Prediction

Ottawa South: PC
Scarborough - Guildwood: Liberal
Etobicoke Lakeshore: PC
London West: NDP
Windsor Tecumseh: NDP
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »

The real question of the night: How did Al Gretzky get 4% of the vote for the Freedom Party?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

Following the Toronto NDP model, it would seem.

They nominated a left wing journalist?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »

What's Canada's most forgotten province?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies