JCP Convention, December 2010 (endorsements posted) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:10:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  JCP Convention, December 2010 (endorsements posted) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: JCP Convention, December 2010 (endorsements posted)  (Read 9173 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: December 01, 2010, 03:42:28 PM »

If I can, I'd wish to clarify my decision here.

Contrary to many left-wingers there, I don't have any hatred for the JCP. This party welcomed me when I first joined Atlasia, I've always had good relations with my fellow party members and its leadership, and that's why in one year and half I've always been loyal to it : several times I refused to join short-lived left-wing parties that were founded as an "alternative to the JCP". So, I think that nobody can call me a liar if I affirm that I still like the JCP and all its members. My decision wasn't dictated by negative feelings, only by positive ones.

If I joined the UDL, it is because I have the strong conviction that this party is not like the previous "leipist", "social-democratic" or "chartist" outfits : it's a new occasion for the entire Atlasian left, an occasion to enter into a new era. Marokai Blue is a historical figure of the JCP, as are, to a lesser extent, people like Kalwejt and Hans-Im-Glück. We don't share the same views on any single subject : we are willing to build a genuine left-wing force in Atlasia, a force that will have his full place as a partner of the JCP. Pluralism, if it's not fueled by the will to harm each other, can be a good thing for the left, revitalizing a party system that is maybe too old for today's Atlasia.

What I wish to establish there, is a sincere and friendly partnership. The JCP has a considerable history whose members can be proud of. I felt good there, and it was hard for me to leave so much people I like a lot. But consistency with my political views imposed this decision, as well as enthusiasm to build something new. Apparently, those feelings were shared by a lot of people in Atlasia, and it is legitimate to try to fulfill them. Contrary to what several people there seem to think, there's no risk for the JCP to collapse : the party is still strong and solid, and will keep playing a key role in Atlasian politics. We are not willing to change that. Forming a pluralist, but united left will be our common goal, and if we can find effective agreements, we will be stronger than we have ever been in the past.

So, farewell, friends. I absolutely don't regret my year-long commitment to the JCP, but I have to go away now. I wish you the best, and I hope we we'll able to work together with open-mindedness and reciprocal respect. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:37 PM »

In related news, I am opening an exploratory committee for the upcoming senatorial elections.

Oh, that is some great news. Smiley

I sent PMs to Barnes and Bacon King a couple days ago to see if they're planning to run again, but I haven't heard back. I kind of doubt BK will, though I'm not sure about Barnes.

Sorry for intrusion, but Barnes is... well, MIA. I'm trying to contact him for days regarding one what-if project and never got answer.

Is he OK?

I've actually sent him a PM too. I really hope he's all right, and if he is that he will run again.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:22:11 AM »

I would like to open the convention floor to non-JCP candidates seeking our party's endorsement.  Would that be acceptable, Mr. Chairman?

Absolutely.

I'd be glad to receive the JCP's third preference. I've been a longtime JCPer and I would have no problem working with other JCP Senators. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »

At-large Senate elections
[1-2] Bacon King (JCP)
[1-2] Lief (JCP)
[5] AHDuke(RPP)
[4] Junkie (RPP)
[3] Keystone Phil (NI)

Good to know bgwah prefers to stay in a state of anger on UDL-ers.

Perhaps your candidates should bother coming in and asking for an endorsement next time.

I'd be glad to receive the JCP's third preference. I've been a longtime JCPer and I would have no problem working with other JCP Senators. Smiley

Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:04:06 AM »

I really hope Barnes will be back soon, that's a shame he won't run for re-election. Sad
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:10:32 AM »

I'd like to thank the JCP and its members for giving me their third pref endorsement. I'll make sure you won't regret it. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:58:29 AM »

Well, we won twice as many seats as anyone else. I suppose we're definitely still a viable party, then. Smiley

Did you seriously doubt it ? Tongue

Yesterday was a victory for the entire left : we got 55.7% of the vote (I've never seen a similar score since I joined Atlasia) and elected 3 Senators. If we don't kill ourselves with useless bickerings, we can grow stronger than we ever were. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 05:11:00 AM »

I stand with Fritz and PS on this issue, and not in order to "save" anyone. I don't really see the point to set such dangerous precedent (expelling a sitting Senator without a vote) with only two weeks left.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »

I stand with Fritz and PS on this issue, and not in order to "save" anyone. I don't really see the point to set such dangerous precedent (expelling a sitting Senator without a vote) with only two weeks left.

It wouldn't be setting a precedent to declare the vacancy; rather, it would be setting a new precedent not to declare the vacancy.

As far as I know, no Senate seat has ever been declared vacant due to inactivity of its occupant without a senatorial vote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »

It happened once, with DWTL.  That was perhaps done improperly.

Wasn't he voted out by the Senate ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:18:08 PM »

No, declaration of vacancy.
Which raised no complaint from anyone, including DWTL himself when he returned.

Oh, really ? I had always been sure there was a vote about it. I think there should have been one, at least.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »

Oh, really ? I had always been sure there was a vote about it. I think there should have been one, at least.

Ironically, that vacancy of DWTL's seat that (probably) improperly led to a special elected is where I won my first election and started a more serious career beyond the Attorney General's office.

Yeah, I know. This is one of my favorite events of Atlasian history (at least what I know about it). Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 06:16:45 AM »

Ironically, that vacancy of DWTL's seat that (probably) improperly led to a special elected is where I won my first election and started a more serious career beyond the Attorney General's office.

Why am I not surprised that you would benefit from something being done "improperly". Tongue

Here is another fact

Badger succeeded Marokai, and Barnes succeeded Badger. So this is the same damn cursed seat. Tongue

Yeah, especially considering that :
- DWTL vacated it by becoming inactive, Marokai took the seat.
- Marokai vacated it to become SC Justice, Badger took the seat in the general election.
- Badger vacated it to become GM, Barnes took the seat.
- Barnes vacated it by becoming inactive, Lief took the seat in the general election.

The Marokai-Badger precedent is useful there, because, as the election was approaching, no replacement was appointed for Marokai and we just waited for Badger to be seated.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »

Why am I not surprised that you would benefit from something being done "improperly". Tongue

Here is another fact

Badger succeeded Marokai, and Barnes succeeded Badger. So this is the same damn cursed seat. Tongue

Yeah, especially considering that :
- DWTL vacated it by becoming inactive, Marokai took the seat.
- Marokai vacated it to become SC Justice, Badger took the seat in the general election.
- Badger vacated it to become GM, Barnes took the seat.
- Barnes vacated it by becoming inactive, Lief took the seat in the general election.

The Marokai-Badger precedent is useful there, because, as the election was approaching, no replacement was appointed for Marokai and we just waited for Badger to be seated.

Yea, because it was too late for a special election (At-Large seats cannot be appointed too. Tongue). However, thanks to the law just passed by bgwah, the major parties can fill the vacated seats of their members now if only six weeks remain. Are you suggesting the JCP should wait to fill this seat till January seventh? Wink

First of all, I don't think Barnes' seat should be declared vacant. I just don't think the OSPR has the constitutional power to expel a Senator.

Second, I find it pretty ridiculous that there is so much excitation about appointing someone who will serve only for two damn weeks. I just think we should avoid procedural aventurism especially when there is absolutely nothing to gain. Once the new Senate is duly seate, we could consider passing an Amendment to clear up this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies