Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:35:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15
Poll
Question: Whom would you vote for?
Atny General Jerry Kilgore (R)

Lt. Governor Tim Kaine (D)

State Senator Russell Potts, Jr. (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election  (Read 31199 times)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2005, 08:01:22 PM »

welcome to the forums wahooliberty

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #251 on: October 23, 2005, 10:19:01 AM »

Kilgore up 2% - Mason Dixon Poll.

VIRGINIA GOVERNOR
Kilgore 44%
Kaine 42%

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #252 on: October 23, 2005, 10:27:18 AM »

still a tossup...
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #253 on: October 23, 2005, 11:27:04 AM »

Not really.

Look a little deeper at the "undecideds."

in 2004 the likely voters in that pool voted for Bush over Kerry by nearly three to one!

The undecideds are undecided because they recognize what just about everyone does, that Kilgore is a lackluster candidate.

On election day they will break to kilgore by about two to one.

Kaine has had a problem throughout the campaign as to his identity.

Either he could be Warner redux (and abandon Kaine's past positions on several issues) or he could be authenic Kaine (a liberal).

Kaine could have confessed that his past opposition to the right to keep and bear arms was mistaken. and agreed with Kilgore on the need to stop illegal immigation, in which case he would probably have a slight lead today.

Oh, and BTW, on the Mason-Dixon polls:

Candidate     Recent     July     Difference

Kilgore            44%       37%    +7%

Kaine              42          38       +4

Potts                5            9        -4
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #254 on: October 23, 2005, 12:25:39 PM »

Not really.

Look a little deeper at the "undecideds."

in 2004 the likely voters in that pool voted for Bush over Kerry by nearly three to one!

The undecideds are undecided because they recognize what just about everyone does, that Kilgore is a lackluster candidate.

On election day they will break to kilgore by about two to one.

Kaine has had a problem throughout the campaign as to his identity.

Either he could be Warner redux (and abandon Kaine's past positions on several issues) or he could be authenic Kaine (a liberal).

Kaine could have confessed that his past opposition to the right to keep and bear arms was mistaken. and agreed with Kilgore on the need to stop illegal immigation, in which case he would probably have a slight lead today.

Oh, and BTW, on the Mason-Dixon polls:

Candidate     Recent     July     Difference

Kilgore            44%       37%    +7%

Kaine              42          38       +4

Potts                5            9        -4

Yeah, but Potts is the wildcard factor right now. I wonder how many undecideds would break towards him?? It could swing the election either way.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: October 23, 2005, 03:38:24 PM »

Potts is likey to get about five per cent of the vote (the hard core liberals in Virginia).

Think of him as John Anderson.

If he weren't in the race then it would probably be pretty close to 50/50 (Kilgore is a lackluster candidate).

However, with him in the race Kaine has little chance of winning.

Look at the odds at Tradesports.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #256 on: October 23, 2005, 03:43:49 PM »

Tradesports has actually had Kaine's stock rise about 20-25 points in the past month.  He was at .15 when he hit rock bottom.

I still think Kilgore will win, and that Tradesports' current odds are (somewhat) accurate, but Kaine has made this very close and he'll get within 2 percentage points of winning.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #257 on: October 23, 2005, 04:08:30 PM »

Obviously Kilgore is a poor communicator (and not the brightest of candidates) BUT, on election day I believe (assuming he doesn't do something stupid in the next couple of weeks) that he will beat Kaine by a comfortable (but not large margin).

My prediction:

Kilgore     51%
Kaine       44
Potts          5

On wildcard for which I have No information is turnout.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2005, 05:42:13 AM »

I'm with Carl on this one. Much as I would like Kaine to win, I don' think he will. I don't think it will be quite as much of a blow-out as Carl thinks (7%), a tad lower like 4-6. But not sufficiently close to be called a tossup. It looks like Virginia might turn into another Ohio: Republican-leaning battleground where the Republican party controls everything on the state level (though it's a while left before VA becomes as close as Ohio, obviously). And that sucks for the Dems.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: October 24, 2005, 08:53:58 AM »

Rasmussen Poll 10/24/05

Kilgore 48%
Kaine 46%
Potts 2%
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2005, 09:01:43 AM »

I'm with Carl on this one. Much as I would like Kaine to win, I don' think he will. I don't think it will be quite as much of a blow-out as Carl thinks (7%), a tad lower like 4-6. But not sufficiently close to be called a tossup. It looks like Virginia might turn into another Ohio: Republican-leaning battleground where the Republican party controls everything on the state level (though it's a while left before VA becomes as close as Ohio, obviously). And that sucks for the Dems.

Actually, the Democrat nominee for Attorney General is going to win big.

Unlike Kaine, he doesn't oppose the right to keep and bear arms and hasn't come out for spending tax money for centers to get jobs for illegal aliens.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2005, 09:30:14 AM »

Actually, the Democrat nominee for Attorney General is going to win big.

Unlike Kaine, he doesn't oppose the right to keep and bear arms and hasn't come out for spending tax money for centers to get jobs for illegal aliens.

The Democratic nominee for AG, Creigh Deeds, was endorsed by the NRA.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2005, 10:59:29 AM »

Some interesting news...  According to some sources Warner has pulled the plug on Kaine for Governor.

From Outside The Beltway:

We have learned here at CW, from sources involved with the General Assembly and close to a high ranking Warner administration official, some amazing news.

At the Governor's senior staff meeting this morning, the decision was made to "pull the plug" on Tim Kaine's campaign. No more will Warner assist the Kaine campaign in major ways. No more public appearances, etc.

According to our sources, Warner is said to have no interest in seeing to fruition, a Tim Kaine Administration. Aides apparently believe that a Kaine administration would steal the limelight from potential Presidential candidate, Gov. Mark Warner. Stay tuned...this should be interesting.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2005, 11:22:45 AM »

Some interesting news...  According to some sources Warner has pulled the plug on Kaine for Governor.

We have learned here at CW, from sources involved with the General Assembly and close to a high ranking Warner administration official, some amazing news.

At the Governor's senior staff meeting this morning, the decision was made to "pull the plug" on Tim Kaine's campaign. No more will Warner assist the Kaine campaign in major ways. No more public appearances, etc.

According to our sources, Warner is said to have no interest in seeing to fruition, a Tim Kaine Administration. Aides apparently believe that a Kaine administration would steal the limelight from potential Presidential candidate, Gov. Mark Warner. Stay tuned...this should be interesting.

Until this rumor is backed up by a legitimate mainstream news-source like the Richmond Times-Dispatch or the Washington Post, it will remain just that -a rumor.   
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2005, 12:09:09 PM »

Old news. That rumor was refuted last week. It was just a right-wing attempt to smear Kaine.

Warner is absolutely committed to helping Tim Kaine elected.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2005, 12:57:39 PM »

If that rumor is true, I agree with Carl's prediction.

Otherwise:
Kilgore 49
Kaine 47
Potts 4
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2005, 01:20:48 PM »

Because Virginia polls tend to underestimate Republicans, and estimating recent polls with that shift in effect, I'm going to go with numbers in-between nini and CARLHAYDEN and say:

Kilgore 50%
Kaine 46%
Potts 4%

Turnout could affect this prediction, of course, as well as undecided breaks.  I also think there is a good chance Potts could pull either higher and lower than this number above.

I also reserve to change my prediction as new polls come out.  Wink
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2005, 03:02:55 PM »

The nascar car that had kilgore for governor imprinted on the side crashed in the race on sunday......could be a bad omen....
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2005, 05:17:06 PM »

That car is a risk.  What if it crashes?

The nascar car that had kilgore for governor imprinted on the side crashed in the race on sunday......could be a bad omen....

DING!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2005, 09:07:35 PM »

Actually, the situation is simpler and less nefarious than you suggest.

Kaine could have said that like Paul on the road to Damascus, he had seen  the light and repented his earlier opposition to the right to keep and bear arms.  He didn't

He embraced illegal aliens.

Kaine has been digging his own political grave, refusing to listen to Warner.

So, why should Warner let Kaine drag him down.

Kaine is an ingrate who only got elected Lt. Gov. by riding on Warner's /coatrails'.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2005, 10:01:42 PM »

Kaine--48%
Kilgore--48%
Potts--4%

I let you figure this out Smiley
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2005, 05:19:17 AM »

Kaine--48%
Kilgore--48%
Potts--4%

I let you figure this out Smiley

Who did the poll?

I doubt very much anyone is "pulling the plug" I doubt the GOP is "pulling the plug" in NJ and i very very much doubt the Democrats and Warner would "pull the plug" in VA... stikes me as wishful thinking by some.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #272 on: October 25, 2005, 05:24:00 AM »

If they are, it's because they don't believe they'll win, not (or mostly not) because of intra-party wrangling.
It's more likely (not ruling out the other option though) that someone from the other side's spreading these kinds of rumours.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #273 on: October 25, 2005, 02:44:39 PM »

Kaine is not likely to win, but he has a shot.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #274 on: October 25, 2005, 04:19:17 PM »

Kaine is not likely to win, but he has a shot.

I would agree with you here, Jtfdem.  I actually think that Democrat Kaine has a better shot at winning in Virginia, then Republican Forrester has of winning in New Jersey.   
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies