Mississippi Megathread 2023 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:51:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi Megathread 2023 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi Megathread 2023  (Read 22479 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 08, 2023, 08:07:55 PM »

Doesn't look like McDaniel is running up the score enough in Desoto to have a shot

Is that where he's from?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 08:31:35 PM »

Hosemann now hovering around 50.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 10:07:00 PM »

Hosemann holding steady as more vote comes in. Funny how McDaniel crushed it in the first county to report anything (Jasper) but that ended up being totally unrepresentative.

Also a great guy I know has won the Republican primary for a state House seat and will be uncontested in November!
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 11:26:44 PM »

AP calls it for Hosemann.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 08:52:42 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's literally only Trump and that disgusting creature in Arizona.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 03:19:03 PM »

Friendly reminder that the clowns at Cook never moved NJ out of Safe D in 2021. That honestly caused me to think so much less of them, especially given how generous they usually are in terms of putting races on the board.

That said, I do think this change is justified.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 10:59:00 AM »

I'm conflicted as to whether this feels like VA 2021 (where the momentum was real, but I needed to see a Youngkin victory to believe it) or SC 2020 (where all the hype totally falls flat).
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 12:40:54 PM »

How is it taking this long to count the last few ballots? Mississippi is not a big VBM state at all.

Also the craziest thing about Presley winning Forrest County is that this county is literally named for the founder of the KKK.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 01:09:12 PM »

How is it taking this long to count the last few ballots? Mississippi is not a big VBM state at all.

Also the craziest thing about Presley winning Forrest County is that this county is literally named for the founder of the KKK.

2 weeks to count the remaining votes is actually not so long.

Other states take much longer, for example California or Arizona, or Ohio or New York, who need 4 to 8 weeks after election day to publish final results.

The problem is that Mississippi now mandates statewide runoffs if no one gets over 50%, and the runoff would have happened on November 28.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2023, 02:39:29 PM »

I don't get Pressley's loss. He was quite moderate.

It’s just a very difficult state for Democrats to win.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2023, 12:30:48 AM »

I got KY wrong (Cameron +2) but I would have predicted a Beshear win if you had shown me the turnout numbers by county. It was a catastrophic underperformance on the part of Cameron which I really didn’t see coming. I think Cameron being this closely tied to McConnell may have had something to do with it, but it probably doesn’t explain all of it.

I think it's just that Beshear is a genuinely popular incumbent, even if he is far more liberal than the median Kentucky voter, and popular incumbent governors are extremely difficult to beat even in otherwise unfavorable states. There's not much more to it than that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies