Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:49:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 136970 times)
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« on: May 25, 2019, 05:06:39 PM »

I thought about this today...is it completely unreasonable to think Pete might be Chief of Staff for someone like Biden?

Maybe, he definitely seems like someone who could get a cabinet appointment under a Democratic president.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 03:31:10 PM »

Buttigieg's brother-in-law breaking his silence:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/buttigieg-brother-in-law-rips-candidate-accuses-campaign-of-misrepresenting-familys-past
Rhyan Glezman spoke to The Washington Examiner after a Washington Post article described how his younger brother Chasten Buttigieg, now married to Pete, left his family home and was rejected by his brothers after coming out as gay.
The Post reported that Chasten was met with silence when he told his family he was gay, with one of his brothers uttering: “No brother of mine…” The Post doesn't report that Chasten was "kicked out," as Glezman suggested, but that he packed his bags and left.

“I felt like I just could not be there,” Chasten told the Post. “So, I left.”

The Post reported that while his parents eventually reached out and reconciled with him (and walked him down the aisle at his wedding), that wasn't as easy with his brothers -- with younger brother Dustin saying "we never got over it."

But Rhyan told the Post that while he is opposed to gay marriage, he still loves his brother: "I just don’t support the gay lifestyle.”

He echoed that sentiment to the Examiner: “You can’t change that. Just because we have a disagreement doesn’t change that.”

Glezman said that while Chasten left the house after coming out, “there was nothing on the family end that said he had to leave.” He also rejected the idea that the family was poor, and claimed Chasten is playing the “victim card” for political gain.

“The story makes it look as if he came from nothing, a poor family,” Rhyan claimed. “Chasten had everything, from cell phones paid for, car insurance paid for.”

So essentially he's mad for rightfully being called out as a homophobe?
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »

Without even bringing up the gay card, there are plenty of reasons why he has failed to secure much support from African-Americans so far. I don't think they'll affect him much, if any, in the general election, but they may keep him from getting the nomination.
If he does get the nomination, could he excite enough of them to win the "Big Three" that Hillary lost in 2016?  I'm not even going to delve into the matter of expanding the map into AA-rich states like NC, GA, and FL.

Probably not. I think he would face similar issues to Clinton with regards to African-American turnout in places like Detroit, Philadelphia, and Milwaukee.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:31:36 PM »

Yeah, the rise of Buttigieg has definitely been one of the most surprising aspects of the 2020 race. Although after his bid for DNC chair, it seemed clear that he was angling for something bigger than Mayor of South Bend (and given that he didn't really have a chance at seeking a higher office in Indiana, the Presidency seemed like the most logical step for him...I guess).

He still won't get anywhere close to the nomination, though.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 11:12:44 PM »

His campaign is going to go downhill from here. Nevada and South Carolina will be much harsher turf than Iowa and New Hampshire (two states whose Democratic electorate are far more favorable to him and the best he could achieve was a tie).
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:15:09 PM »

His campaign is going to go downhill from here. Nevada and South Carolina will be much harsher turf than Iowa and New Hampshire (two states whose Democratic electorate are far more favorable to him and the best he could achieve was a tie).
There was not a tie. Pete lost both states

I meant in terms of the margin of victory. I'm well aware of Iowa's convoluted results.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 06:59:09 PM »

Buttigieg is not favored to win any higher office in Indiana. His jump to a presidential run was telling in that regard.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies