Mississippi Megathread 2023 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:24:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi Megathread 2023 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi Megathread 2023  (Read 22271 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« on: October 29, 2023, 02:25:56 PM »

Who would a runoff favor?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 09:50:55 AM »

It's happening?!  Beshear and Reeves both lose?

Remember, MS has practically no early voting at all, so whatever did go down in that debate, the news still has time to reach 95% of voters.  
From what I’m seeing MS mail-in turnout is 70% of 2019, similar to Louisiana. It is still unclear who the low turnout benefits.
Assuming a low turnout election that probably helps Republicans since suburban white women are the highest turnout demographic.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 11:17:42 AM »

I'm conflicted as to whether this feels like VA 2021 (where the momentum was real, but I needed to see a Youngkin victory to believe it) or SC 2020 (where all the hype totally falls flat).
The thing is, outside of this forum, I have not seen any momentum for Presley. It doesn't help we haven't had a non-internal quality poll since early October. Whereas in 2021 you could clearly see the momentum change through October. I think Presley has done enough to guarantee it within single digits though.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 01:06:45 AM »

I think once Hinds and any stragglers come in, it basically ends up being the same margin (% and raw votes) as 2019. Another good Democratic performance, just not good enough.

Ultimately, Mississippi is just too Republican of a state for a Democrat to win unless the Republican candidate is unusually awful, and Reeves is not that. I think that will probably change some over the next 10-20 years, though, and I hope the national party sees it as a medium-term goal for a future flip.

2008 - Virginia and Colorado
2020 - Arizona and Georgia
2032? - Mississippi? Kansas?
The problem for Democrats in Mississippi is that the state is considered a sh****** state outside of people born there, or bible thumpers. As a result, no one wants to move there and thus it prevents any oppurtunity of the Jackson area seeing major growth and becoming a significant metro area. Even compared to Alabama and possibly Louisiana the state is considered backwards to the lack of a safe metro for minorities. The truth is neither national party wants to campaign over a state that's uneducated, quite illiterate, poor, and unemployed. That's why there is somewhat of informal agreement to just let polarization do its job.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 02:28:41 AM »

What is the final margin expected to be?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 04:12:28 PM »

I've always wondered how Roy Moore vs Doug Jones would have turned out in Mississippi. One hand, its a less red state so Jones could do better. But its also much more racially polarized than Alabama, perhaps helping Moore?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 11:35:44 PM »

FINAL MARGIN

Tate Reeves wins by 3.2% or 50.9-47.7

KY Beshear+4.5
MS Reeves+3
VA House TIE
VA Senate Dem Hold
OH Issue 1 Yes+9
Looks like I nailed the governor races this year.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 10:42:37 AM »

Do we know what % of the white vote Presley got?
Mid 20s
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2023, 09:40:44 PM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies