This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:40:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 155844 times)
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2350 on: July 18, 2022, 02:29:06 PM »

I mean I would be voting to trigger Duffield! For a number of reasons but her case is very much not a left v right.

It shall be an in interesting day for the discourse if she is triggered though.
I can’t work out if it’s in Labour’s interests to deselect her or not. Keep her and you risk her keep talking about trans issues and unsetting certain people, or deselect her and the press/Twitter activists will erupt. I suppose the ideal scenario is that she STFU and be an uncontroversial Labour MP, but it’s unclear if she wants to do that given she’s both endorsed further trans friendly reforms AND associated herself with some very dodgy anti-trans activists.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2351 on: July 18, 2022, 02:49:38 PM »

Amongst other things there are serious questions as to whether she is now entirely... capable... of doing her job. Which we should note is also a factor in the unpleasant mess (I have no further comments as I don't know the full details and I'm not sure if anyone unable to speak Bengali does) unfolding at Poplar & Limehouse CLP.

I work in that area. Losing the Council in May must have been massively embarrassing.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2352 on: July 19, 2022, 03:28:39 AM »

Tarry is at least performing well enough in the wards to be in with a chance of doing well at the all-members meeting (if he is triggered) where as some of the reported results in TH were soviet esque…

Ofc Tarry could face what is generally the hardest thing in a full selection- a well organised, popular and local candidate. He won’t be facing some random activist or Cllr (as was the case in the 2019 selections as had- I still lol at the left trying to take down Hodge without realising she was an extremely effective machine politician at heart)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2353 on: July 19, 2022, 05:11:40 AM »

I mean I would be voting to trigger Duffield! For a number of reasons but her case is very much not a left v right.

It shall be an in interesting day for the discourse if she is triggered though.
I can’t work out if it’s in Labour’s interests to deselect her or not. Keep her and you risk her keep talking about trans issues and unsetting certain people, or deselect her and the press/Twitter activists will erupt. I suppose the ideal scenario is that she STFU and be an uncontroversial Labour MP, but it’s unclear if she wants to do that given she’s both endorsed further trans friendly reforms AND associated herself with some very dodgy anti-trans activists.

Yes, the ideal scenario for the party is almost certainly for her to decide of her own accord not to run again next time (maybe becoming the first ever WEP parliamentarian in the process, or something)
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2354 on: July 19, 2022, 08:45:59 AM »

Tarry is at least performing well enough in the wards to be in with a chance of doing well at the all-members meeting (if he is triggered) where as some of the reported results in TH were soviet esque…

Ofc Tarry could face what is generally the hardest thing in a full selection- a well organised, popular and local candidate. He won’t be facing some random activist or Cllr (as was the case in the 2019 selections as had- I still lol at the left trying to take down Hodge without realising she was an extremely effective machine politician at heart)

It’d be pretty shocking if Tarry was able to win a full selection. The hard part was triggering him, there were always the votes to choose Athwal.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2355 on: July 19, 2022, 09:35:33 AM »

Forde report is finally out today. Not sure there’s anything that’ll shock anyone or change any minds.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2356 on: July 19, 2022, 09:49:37 AM »

Forde report is finally out today. Not sure there’s anything that’ll shock anyone or change any minds.

Had a read through because I don't have anything better to do. The consistent pattern is: a) inexperienced and unskilled people in key posts resulting in b) gross incompetence and poor behaviour and then b) a complete inability to then deal with serious disciplinary problems. It's pretty clearly that most of the people who worked for either HQ or LOTO 2015-20 should never be hired in any position of significant responsibility. It's consistently dismal all the way through. The stuff on factionalist pathologies is grimly thorough and I would say (from personal experience) accurate. Broadly speaking, the only people remotely 'vindicated' by the report are those who believed the entire apparatus to be a burning landfill site. All other positions are left... to say the least... looking less than credible. The report does say that there have been some improvements since (which is good and not insignificant) but that there's a lot more that needs to be done - its recommendations on that front seem reasonable. And I would suggest that parties other than Labour give them some thought as well. Some of Labour's internal issues are unique, some are certainly not.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2357 on: July 19, 2022, 10:13:16 AM »

I would add that the report certainly isn't perfect: specifically, there are a couple of points at which a desire to be fair and even-handed leads to outright naivety, but these don't appear to be on critical sections for what the report is ultimately for.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2358 on: July 19, 2022, 11:13:42 AM »

I haven’t read it but skimmed parts about LOTO and HQ- even back in 2011/2012 there was reports of how HQ was full of anti-Ed M people and how the party machine all ended up backing Yvette in 2015- there is often a delayed reaction which is why Corbyns people didn’t end up occupying all the powerful posts until 2018/19 and even then you had some hold outs.

I wonder if it mentioned pay and T&Cs- I was advised by someone never to work for the party because of a myriad of poor employment practices, poor treatment and general sh**ttyness. This has a very real impact on the type of people and gave those with senior positions even more leverage.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2359 on: July 20, 2022, 08:26:13 AM »

It helps disprove some of the crankler Corbynite myths (eg the one that Starmer's spinners were so keen to draw attention to - that party HQ deliberately "threw" the 2017 GE) but overall the report, if anything, makes more sobering reading for the right of the party. Though most of them won't admit that in public, I hope that in private some lessons are learned and acted upon.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2360 on: July 22, 2022, 12:39:04 PM »

I see another split or fight in the left over whose name they put on their mailing list in the NEC election.

Yet another reason to vote for Ann Black!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2361 on: July 24, 2022, 04:23:41 AM »

Interesting selections this weekend. Some notable ones…

Heidi Alexander (former Lewisham MP, Shadow Health Sec and Deputy Mayor) selected in her childhood seat of Swindon- someone said it was quite smart as if she wins Labour are virtually guaranteed to be in Government, so she won’t face prospect of being in opposition.

Faiza Shaheen selected in Chingford- IDS seat which has been trending for a long time and which had the kitchen sink thrown at it in 2019. Very highly rated on the left.

Westminster and Cities ended up picking a Tower Hamlet Cabinet Member- seems strange as they just won the council and imo this is the type of seat where I expected a ‘worthy’ in the party to stand, although god knows how you’d afford a house!
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2362 on: July 24, 2022, 05:09:17 AM »

Interesting selections this weekend. Some notable ones…

Heidi Alexander (former Lewisham MP, Shadow Health Sec and Deputy Mayor) selected in her childhood seat of Swindon- someone said it was quite smart as if she wins Labour are virtually guaranteed to be in Government, so she won’t face prospect of being in opposition.

Faiza Shaheen selected in Chingford- IDS seat which has been trending for a long time and which had the kitchen sink thrown at it in 2019. Very highly rated on the left.

Westminster and Cities ended up picking a Tower Hamlet Cabinet Member- seems strange as they just won the council and imo this is the type of seat where I expected a ‘worthy’ in the party to stand, although god knows how you’d afford a house!

On two cities, Westminster Labour were so surprised to take the council I don’t think any of them had time to organise for the selection - those who went for it had been circling since Jan/Feb.

On Chingford, whilst there are a lot of people in the party who despise Shaheen - and she’s not my favourite person - she is very intelligent & a gifted economist + she did work very hard in 2019 even if she lost. Her personal politics are more like Sam Tarry, straddling the border between the hard & soft left too. So it’s not that shocking she was selected, she was one of the most ‘moderate’ Corbynite ppcs in 2019.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2363 on: July 24, 2022, 06:51:37 AM »

Of course, the Very Online Left decided a while back that Shaheen was a contemptible sellout.

This hasn't stopped even more contemptible aggro-centrists (eg Ian Leslie) smearing her.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2364 on: July 24, 2022, 09:58:00 AM »

Of course, the Very Online Left decided a while back that Shaheen was a contemptible sellout.

This hasn't stopped even more contemptible aggro-centrists (eg Ian Leslie) smearing her.

And despicable Labour to Win in general.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2365 on: July 24, 2022, 11:01:03 AM »

Leslie isn't really an aggro-centrist, because nobody aside from himself believes he actually is or ever has been a centrist.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2366 on: July 24, 2022, 11:12:56 AM »

I mean I will broadly be voting the LtW slate and very much don’t think that’s the view of most people on the Labour right- I was going to say that the vast majority of people getting outraged over her winning are the types who didn’t even vote for Labour in 2010, and consider anyone to the left of Ed Miliband as a trot.

They’re the types who regularly foam that Starmer is too weak and soft on the left which is a obviously a load of rubbish.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2367 on: July 24, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »

Leslie isn't really an aggro-centrist, because nobody aside from himself believes he actually is or ever has been a centrist.

I’m not even sure who he is? The only time I see him is when he’s coming out with civility police type comments about the Labour frontbench!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2368 on: July 24, 2022, 11:17:44 AM »

I mean I will broadly be voting the LtW slate and very much don’t think that’s the view of most people on the Labour right- I was going to say that the vast majority of people getting outraged over her winning are the types who didn’t even vote for Labour in 2010, and consider anyone to the left of Ed Miliband as a trot.

They’re the types who regularly foam that Starmer is too weak and soft on the left which is a obviously a load of rubbish.

That's a tweet about that selection by the LtW national organiser.

https://twitter.com/DuddridgeLloyd/status/1546800715850567680
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2369 on: July 24, 2022, 11:23:02 AM »

I like to pretend we aren’t all like that.

Besides it’s someone being stupid as FS I believe used Starmer on her leaflets, in a positive way. It just seems like a weird argument from one set of people who miss the forever war- I mean this is the first win the left have had internally in what 6 months?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2370 on: July 24, 2022, 11:47:22 AM »

Is it true that he is Chris Leslie's brother (as I have seen claimed)?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2371 on: July 24, 2022, 12:07:57 PM »

Besides it’s someone being stupid as FS I believe used Starmer on her leaflets, in a positive way. It just seems like a weird argument from one set of people who miss the forever war- I mean this is the first win the left have had internally in what 6 months?

And explicitly as (my goodness an actual somewhat legitimate contemporary use for the old term!) a 'soft' Left candidate, thus the picture with Starmer and so on. In a strategic sense, that sort of thing is ultimately a win for the right-wing and centre of the Party, much as equivalent movement was back in the 1990s.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2372 on: July 24, 2022, 12:28:18 PM »

And it surely suits Starmer to have a few left wing candidates selected just for cynical reasons, to say that "see this isn't a fix" (especially after such unpleasantness as the Stroud business)

Meanwhile, one early silly season story is a certain ex Labour leader standing for London Mayor.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2373 on: July 24, 2022, 03:54:17 PM »

Not sure what the point is here, you had a candidate who supports Starmer & a candidate who doesn’t - and was closely associated with Ken Loach (and to my knowledge hasn’t disavowed him). It’s hardly an unfair accusation.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2374 on: July 24, 2022, 04:22:34 PM »

Not sure what the point is here, you had a candidate who supports Starmer & a candidate who doesn’t - and was closely associated with Ken Loach (and to my knowledge hasn’t disavowed him). It’s hardly an unfair accusation.

She is so anti-Starmer that she put him (Starmer, not Loach) on her leaflets.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies