GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:18:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 147
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires  (Read 144158 times)
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: October 04, 2022, 06:08:15 PM »

Cyrusman, Republicans couldn’t pass a national abortion ban in 2017 because the Supreme Court would have declared it unconstitutional. There are no such barriers now.
Cyrusman
« Reply #976 on: October 04, 2022, 06:09:30 PM »

I would support waiving the filibuster to reinstate Roe.

I suppose I'm one of these "swing voters" but for me, it's less about wanting to be undecided / putting off a decision and more about conflicting emotions I'm feeling this cycle. On the one hand, I don't want the Democrats in charge of the budget and on the other hand I don't want Republicans in charge of my wife's body. Scandals that make me question if a candidate is fundamentally fit for office absolutely can sway my vote.

A bunch of Biden/Warnock/Ossoff voters are about to vote for Kemp next month. These revelations absolutely have an effect on these same swing voters.

Honestly there are some swing voters who want to look "undecided".

They truly Can by voting both for Kemp and Warnock and I think this is what they will do

If that is the case I would think you'd vote against Kemp and for Walker. Abortion will be controlled by the states. No national abortion ban is taking place in the senate. The votes aren't there for it and Biden would never sign it even if there were 60+ votes.

This is an incredibly short-sighted view that ignores the fact that Senators serve six-year terms. A second Trump presidency paired with a Republican majority in the House and Senate would very likely result in some sort of national abortion ban and the only real question is whether it would be six weeks, ten weeks, or fifteen weeks.

You see the GOP having 60+ senate seats along with a house majority and president? I sure as hell do not. They would need at least 62 seats. Collins and Murkowski would not vote for it and even in their wildest dreams if that were to ever happen I do not see any form of national ban taking place. State bans are much more likely which is why I would think someone from GA who is more concerned about abortion would vote against R's in the governors race and not the senate race.

I have to agree with Cyrusman here. If democrats can eliminate the filibuster then can’t republicans do the same thing to repeal it and affirmatively pass restrictions? Isn’t the elimination of the filibuster for appointees the reason Trump got 3 justice picks that did not have to appeal to a broad coalition?

That to me sounds like a recipe for A) political whiplash and B) leaders having an increasingly outsized amount of power with limited checks

I mean, you would, what with you and Cyrusman both being diehard Republican partisans.  There is no reason for anyone who is pro-choice to even consider voting Republican for Congress until the reinstatement of  Roe has been nationally codified.

There is a significant population of pro choice republican voters especially those of whom are not religious. There are many right leaning independents and libertarians' who are pro choice. All of them will most likely continue voting republican because Roe is not the only issue. Chances are these people I just named care way more about economic policies, the border, crime, and are probably conservative on other issues like education for example than abortion, so they will continue voting GOP even if they are pro choice.

Cyrusman
« Reply #977 on: October 04, 2022, 06:12:29 PM »

Cyrusman, Republicans couldn’t pass a national abortion ban in 2017 because the Supreme Court would have declared it unconstitutional. There are no such barriers now.

My response was regarding nuking the filibuster in general to pass all the other items Trump wanted. Nuking the filibuster by either party results in that party having egg on their face the next time the opposition takes over, but the GOP has even less of an incentive to do so, because Democrats care way more about passing actual legislation to bring changes and all the GOP wants is tax cuts as far as legislation.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #978 on: October 04, 2022, 06:55:15 PM »

A bunch of Biden/Warnock/Ossoff voters are about to vote for Kemp next month. These revelations absolutely have an effect on these same swing voters.

They truly Can by voting both for Kemp and Warnock and I think this is what they will do

There are a lot of voters like this. Upper class ladies in east Cobb, middle aged working class guys in places like Albany or Hancock county, maybe even some incumbent friendly Asian or Latino folks in Gwinnett? A lot of possibilities as to who exactly Kemp/Warnock voters will be.

When I think of voters like this, I tend to go towards the majority being voters like Martin Sheen's family in Catch me if you can. Very conservative publically, but with something to hide like an abortion cause your daughter got knocked up at 16?
Yoda
United States

« Reply #979 on: October 04, 2022, 07:09:22 PM »

I suppose I'm one of these "swing voters" but for me, it's less about wanting to be undecided / putting off a decision and more about conflicting emotions I'm feeling this cycle. On the one hand, I don't want the Democrats in charge of the budget and on the other hand I don't want Republicans in charge of my wife's body. Scandals that make me question if a candidate is fundamentally fit for office absolutely can sway my vote.

If that is the case I would think you'd vote against Kemp and for Walker. Abortion will be controlled by the states. No national abortion ban is taking place in the senate. The votes aren't there for it and Biden would never sign it even if there were 60+ votes.

This is an incredibly short-sighted view that ignores the fact that Senators serve six-year terms. A second Trump presidency paired with a Republican majority in the House and Senate would very likely result in some sort of national abortion ban and the only real question is whether it would be six weeks, ten weeks, or fifteen weeks.

You see the GOP having 60+ senate seats along with a house majority and president? I sure as hell do not. They would need at least 62 seats. Collins and Murkowski would not vote for it and even in their wildest dreams if that were to ever happen I do not see any form of national ban taking place. State bans are much more likely which is why I would think someone from GA who is more concerned about abortion would vote against R's in the governors race and not the senate race.

If you don't think republicans would nuke the filibuster to pass a national abortion ban, you haven't been paying attention.

I was around in 2017 and 2018 a whole 4-5 years ago when they easily could have done so and did not. What merit is there to suggest they will? It will literally come back to bite them in the ass the next time the Democrats have the trifecta. GOP can pass tax cuts and judges with a simple majority and they have the supreme court on their side too. Nuking the filibuster would be beyond stupid by them. They have zero reason to do so.

Well, see, the premise of your argument is flawed as they most definitely NOT could have easily done so in 17/18 due to Murkowski/Collins/Romney. In a hypothetical situation like you put forth above where republicans have 60 seats, the filibuster is gone.

Just b/c something is "beyond stupid" does not mean the GOP won't do it. It was beyond stupid of them to overturn Roe in a midterm year in which they were supposed to cruise to victory, yet they did it (and don't tell me that the six votes to overturn Roe are not republican politicians in robes). It was beyond stupid of them to recruit and/or nominate the likes of OZ, Walker, Masters, Vance, Dixon, Mastriano, etc, etc, etc. It was beyond stupid of them to not convict trump in the Senate when they had the chance and kill the possibility of him ever becoming their party's nominee again, but instead he continues to inject himself into the news and hurt republicans. Yet they did all of these things.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #980 on: October 04, 2022, 07:54:59 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #981 on: October 04, 2022, 07:59:30 PM »

They are hypocrites, but it is not surprising to me that they would continue to support him. As seen with Trump, Republican voters have demonstrated that they are willing to overlook the "bad moral qualities" of their candidates for the sake of political victory against the Democrats. Trump received roughly 80% of the white evangelical vote in both of his elections.
Cyrusman
« Reply #982 on: October 04, 2022, 08:35:31 PM »

If you don't think republicans would nuke the filibuster to pass a national abortion ban, you haven't been paying attention.

I was around in 2017 and 2018 a whole 4-5 years ago when they easily could have done so and did not. What merit is there to suggest they will? It will literally come back to bite them in the ass the next time the Democrats have the trifecta. GOP can pass tax cuts and judges with a simple majority and they have the supreme court on their side too. Nuking the filibuster would be beyond stupid by them. They have zero reason to do so.

Well, see, the premise of your argument is flawed as they most definitely NOT could have easily done so in 17/18 due to Murkowski/Collins/Romney. In a hypothetical situation like you put forth above where republicans have 60 seats, the filibuster is gone.

Just b/c something is "beyond stupid" does not mean the GOP won't do it. It was beyond stupid of them to overturn Roe in a midterm year in which they were supposed to cruise to victory, yet they did it (and don't tell me that the six votes to overturn Roe are not republican politicians in robes). It was beyond stupid of them to recruit and/or nominate the likes of OZ, Walker, Masters, Vance, Dixon, Mastriano, etc, etc, etc. It was beyond stupid of them to not convict trump in the Senate when they had the chance and kill the possibility of him ever becoming their party's nominee again, but instead he continues to inject himself into the news and hurt republicans. Yet they did all of these things.

Mitt Romney was not a senator then. He won in 2018 and become a senator once the democrats had the house and even prior to that Mitch did not even entertain the idea despite pressure from Trump. I really don’t know why you think there is a huge reason or motive for the GOP to end the filibuster. That would literally kill and screw them the next time Dems take over. There will always be senators on both sides with reservations and rightfully so.

The GOP did not overturn Roe, the courts did. Mississippi decided to sue and that’s how we got here. A No one in the GOP would decide to overturn Roe in a midterm year of all years and hurt themselves politically.

Also, GOP politicians did not nominate those candidates, Trump endorsed them,  and a good chunk of GOP voters not politicians were dumb enough to vote for them.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #983 on: October 04, 2022, 09:02:05 PM »

And how are all of you in politically boring states doing?

Wish my state was less politically boring.  I hate our governor.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #984 on: October 04, 2022, 09:03:57 PM »

And how are all of you in politically boring states doing?

Wish my state was less politically boring.  I hate our governor.

I don't think anyone particularly likes Noem, even many Republicans. It's unfortunate that Sutton didn't win in 2018, and that she's Safe for reelection this year.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #985 on: October 04, 2022, 09:15:41 PM »

just caught up on the thread....what a s**tshow. i dont even what to say. we just saw a campaign utterly implode and it was caught in 4k. its absolutely mindblowing how much the gop screwed up this year
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #986 on: October 04, 2022, 09:39:49 PM »

soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #987 on: October 04, 2022, 09:43:18 PM »

The thing is, he probably could have gotten away with that line of reasoning. But to simply say “I don’t know anything about this” means you drain repentance of all meaning.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #988 on: October 04, 2022, 09:44:42 PM »

One would think that part of repentance would be sincere admission of past sins rather than repeated denial, but admittedly I am not an expert in contemporary Protestant soteriology.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #989 on: October 04, 2022, 10:41:14 PM »

That is such a coincidence, because I just spoke with God and He told me that He in His grace forgives any perceived slights against any extant form of Christianity by Warnock or indeed any Democrat notwithstanding their lack of contrition, so there's no need to whine about abortion or prayer in schools or whatnot anymore, I assume.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #990 on: October 04, 2022, 11:11:28 PM »

Mitt Romney was not a senator then. He won in 2018 and become a senator once the democrats had the house and even prior to that Mitch did not even entertain the idea despite pressure from Trump. I really don’t know why you think there is a huge reason or motive for the GOP to end the filibuster. That would literally kill and screw them the next time Dems take over. There will always be senators on both sides with reservations and rightfully so.

The GOP did not overturn Roe, the courts did. Mississippi decided to sue and that’s how we got here. A No one in the GOP would decide to overturn Roe in a midterm year of all years and hurt themselves politically.

Also, GOP politicians did not nominate those candidates, Trump endorsed them,  and a good chunk of GOP voters not politicians were dumb enough to vote for them.

Curious, given the GOP's official position that if a democrat wins an election it was stolen, that you think that if there is ever another GOP trifecta that they would allow themselves to lose it by turning over power. This is almost pure fantasy at this point.

LMAO. The GOP purposefully appointed and confirmed three justices to SCOTUS that they knew would put aside the constitution and make up law out of whole cloth and rule based on their personal political and religious beliefs instead of the law to overturn Roe. Saying "the courts" (it was ONE court, btw) overturned Roe is a distinction with no difference. The "justices" are republican partisans in robes. The GOP overturned Roe. This can't be made any simpler or more plain to see.

If trump is solely responsible for all of the terrible GOP candidates then why has the party not thrown trump under the bus? Stopped defending him? Cut him off? Stopped paying his massive legal fees? B/c they agree with, support and in many cases recruited these horrible candidates.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #991 on: October 04, 2022, 11:17:19 PM »

Curious, given the GOP's official position that if a democrat wins an election it was stolen, that you think that if there is ever another GOP trifecta that they would allow themselves to lose it by turning over power. This is almost pure fantasy at this point.

LMAO. The GOP purposefully appointed and confirmed three justices to SCOTUS that they knew would put aside the constitution and make up law out of whole cloth and rule based on their personal political and religious beliefs instead of the law to overturn Roe. Saying "the courts" (it was ONE court, btw) overturned Roe is a distinction with no difference. The "justices" are republican partisans in robes. The GOP overturned Roe. This can't be made any simpler or more plain to see.

If trump is solely responsible for all of the terrible GOP candidates then why has the party not thrown trump under the bus? Stopped defending him? Cut him off? Stopped paying his massive legal fees? B/c they agree with, support and in many cases recruited these horrible candidates.

I think the upcoming SCOTUS cases about Alabama's congressional map and the Independent State Legislature case will really show how hackish this court is since both those cases are directly about power in a way something like Dobbs wasn't.

In both these cases there's a pretty wide range of theoretical ways the court could rule, but a ruling that entirely guts what remains of VRA and a ruling that nearly fully embraces ISL, overturning redistricting commissions and locking out courts of doing their jobs, would be troubling
Yoda
United States

« Reply #992 on: October 05, 2022, 12:04:14 AM »

I think the upcoming SCOTUS cases about Alabama's congressional map and the Independent State Legislature case will really show how hackish this court is since both those cases are directly about power in a way something like Dobbs wasn't.

In both these cases there's a pretty wide range of theoretical ways the court could rule, but a ruling that entirely guts what remains of VRA and a ruling that nearly fully embraces ISL, overturning redistricting commissions and locking out courts of doing their jobs, would be troubling

My personal prediction is that they will find the ISL theory too baseless and outlandish even for them (and that's saying a lot) while going ahead and gutting what's left of the VRA. It's been Roberts' lifelong goal to destroy the VRA; he's not going to miss the opportunity now that it's here.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #993 on: October 05, 2022, 12:44:13 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2022, 12:50:48 AM by Ogre Mage »

Walker is as good at running away from the debate stage as he was from linebackers, lol.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #994 on: October 05, 2022, 12:55:18 AM »

You can tell that many Republicans don’t actually view abortion as murder, because imagine them trying to defend Walker if it came out that he paid for someone to drown his newborn in a bathtub. To prolifers, abortion is morally equivalent to killing a newborn baby. But for some reason they treat these two things as very different! Hmmmmm…
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #995 on: October 05, 2022, 12:57:47 AM »

You can tell that many Republicans don’t actually view abortion as murder, because imagine them trying to defend Walker if it came out that he paid for someone to drown his newborn in a bathtub. To prolifers, abortion is morally equivalent to killing a newborn baby. But for some reason they treat these two things as very different! Hmmmmm…

Well opposing BLM takes precedence over this in the Conservative Pyramid of Hypocrisy
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #996 on: October 05, 2022, 01:41:09 AM »

Well opposing BLM takes precedence over this in the Conservative Pyramid of Hypocrisy

gf20202
« Reply #997 on: October 05, 2022, 01:56:32 AM »

Walker is as good at running away from the debate stage as he was from linebackers, lol.

This article is poorly written clickbait. Walker has not backed out of the October 14th debate which is going to be broadcasted by the centrist/right leaning News Nation. He's just not showing up for an October 16th debate that he never agreed to in the first place.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #998 on: October 05, 2022, 02:42:48 AM »

This article is poorly written clickbait. Walker has not backed out of the October 14th debate which is going to be broadcasted by the centrist/right leaning News Nation. He's just not showing up for an October 16th debate that he never agreed to in the first place.

Yeah, it's just a coincidence Walker dropped out as these latest allegations broke.  Roll Eyes Any fool can see he is running SCARED.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #999 on: October 05, 2022, 05:15:48 AM »

Meanwhile in the real world

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 147  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length