GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:30:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 147
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires  (Read 144538 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: October 04, 2022, 02:39:18 PM »

A bunch of Biden/Warnock/Ossoff voters are about to vote for Kemp next month. These revelations absolutely have an effect on these same swing voters.

Honestly there are some swing voters who want to look "undecided".

They truly Can by voting both for Kemp and Warnock and I think this is what they will do

There are a lot of voters like this. Upper class ladies in east Cobb, middle aged working class guys in places like Albany or Hancock county, maybe even some incumbent friendly Asian or Latino folks in Gwinnett? A lot of possibilities as to who exactly Kemp/Warnock voters will be.
Cyrusman
« Reply #951 on: October 04, 2022, 02:50:06 PM »

How is it over for walker? I really don’t see republicans voting for Warnock
Just because walker paid for an abortion 13 years ago. Most will still bite their tongue and vote more so against Warnock than for walker. This is more a personal issue that a Georgia issue and I really don’t see it making that much of an impact. Dems we’re never going to vote for him.

People really need to stop acting like Independents don't exist. The whole "republicans are not voting for Warnock", well yeah but there's plenty of non-GOP voters out there who are not Dems either lol

Yes of course independents exist but they are going to care about the actual issues in Georgia not an incident in someone's personal life which occurred over a decade ago. Even if what is being reported by Walker is true it isn't illegal and has no relevancy on Georgia. If independents vote against Walker its because they don't agree with his policies or views.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #952 on: October 04, 2022, 02:50:37 PM »

There's just something about this response that grows oddly funny every time I think about it. It's like something you would expect a candidate to say if their kid got caught selling weed, as opposed to having your entire ability to function as a parent be publicly thrown into a burning dumpster. Like the son is the one with the problem here and not Walker himself.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #953 on: October 04, 2022, 02:51:25 PM »

Just because walker paid for an abortion 13 years ago. Most will still bite their tongue and vote more so against Warnock than for walker. This is more a personal issue that a Georgia issue and I really don’t see it making that much of an impact. Dems we’re never going to vote for him.

Warnock doesn’t need Republicans to vote for him to win. He didn’t need it in 20/21.
Cyrusman
« Reply #954 on: October 04, 2022, 02:54:01 PM »

I suppose I'm one of these "swing voters" but for me, it's less about wanting to be undecided / putting off a decision and more about conflicting emotions I'm feeling this cycle. On the one hand, I don't want the Democrats in charge of the budget and on the other hand I don't want Republicans in charge of my wife's body. Scandals that make me question if a candidate is fundamentally fit for office absolutely can sway my vote.

A bunch of Biden/Warnock/Ossoff voters are about to vote for Kemp next month. These revelations absolutely have an effect on these same swing voters.

They truly Can by voting both for Kemp and Warnock and I think this is what they will do

If that is the case I would think you'd vote against Kemp and for Walker. Abortion will be controlled by the states. No national abortion ban is taking place in the senate. The votes aren't there for it and Biden would never sign it even if there were 60+ votes.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #955 on: October 04, 2022, 03:01:46 PM »

I suppose I'm one of these "swing voters" but for me, it's less about wanting to be undecided / putting off a decision and more about conflicting emotions I'm feeling this cycle. On the one hand, I don't want the Democrats in charge of the budget and on the other hand I don't want Republicans in charge of my wife's body. Scandals that make me question if a candidate is fundamentally fit for office absolutely can sway my vote.

If that is the case I would think you'd vote against Kemp and for Walker. Abortion will be controlled by the states. No national abortion ban is taking place in the senate. The votes aren't there for it and Biden would never sign it even if there were 60+ votes.

This is an incredibly short-sighted view that ignores the fact that Senators serve six-year terms. A second Trump presidency paired with a Republican majority in the House and Senate would very likely result in some sort of national abortion ban and the only real question is whether it would be six weeks, ten weeks, or fifteen weeks.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #956 on: October 04, 2022, 03:10:18 PM »

People really need to stop acting like Independents don't exist. The whole "republicans are not voting for Warnock", well yeah but there's plenty of non-GOP voters out there who are not Dems either lol

Yes of course independents exist but they are going to care about the actual issues in Georgia not an incident in someone's personal life which occurred over a decade ago. Even if what is being reported by Walker is true it isn't illegal and has no relevancy on Georgia. If independents vote against Walker its because they don't agree with his policies or views.

As someone who lives in Georgia, I have to tell you that there are a significant number of people here who are not nearly as politically engaged as are users of this forum, but they still vote.  Their perception of the candidates' character and personal qualities is a major factor in who they vote for. This year, that effect works to the benefit of both Kemp and Warnock.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #957 on: October 04, 2022, 03:15:19 PM »

As someone who lives in Georgia, I have to tell you that there are a significant number of people here who are not nearly as politically engaged as are users of this forum, but they still vote.

This is true of anywhere on the planet that holds elections.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #958 on: October 04, 2022, 03:17:01 PM »

So right now , you would be voting both for Kemp and Warnock?
forsythvoter

« Reply #959 on: October 04, 2022, 03:35:55 PM »

I understand your logic but having done quite a bit of research myself, it's a lot more nuanced than this The reality is that Georgia has a pre-Roe abortion ban on the books and Abrams is not going to be able to overturn that ban without the support of the legislature.

It is because of this dynamic that 1) I think that should be a national law codifying Roe, 2) I think we need more balance on the Supreme Court when and if new appointments come up. Both of these impact the Senate elections.

Cyrusman
« Reply #960 on: October 04, 2022, 03:39:04 PM »

This is an incredibly short-sighted view that ignores the fact that Senators serve six-year terms. A second Trump presidency paired with a Republican majority in the House and Senate would very likely result in some sort of national abortion ban and the only real question is whether it would be six weeks, ten weeks, or fifteen weeks.

You see the GOP having 60+ senate seats along with a house majority and president? I sure as hell do not. They would need at least 62 seats. Collins and Murkowski would not vote for it and even in their wildest dreams if that were to ever happen I do not see any form of national ban taking place. State bans are much more likely which is why I would think someone from GA who is more concerned about abortion would vote against R's in the governors race and not the senate race.
forsythvoter

« Reply #961 on: October 04, 2022, 03:40:15 PM »

I would support waiving the filibuster to reinstate Roe.

You see the GOP having 60+ senate seats along with a house majority and president? I sure as hell do not. They would need at least 62 seats. Collins and Murkowski would not vote for it and even in their wildest dreams if that were to ever happen I do not see any form of national ban taking place. State bans are much more likely which is why I would think someone from GA who is more concerned about abortion would vote against R's in the governors race and not the senate race.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #962 on: October 04, 2022, 03:41:37 PM »

You don't think the Republicans would nuke the filibuster for this? I agree it's unlikely that the Republicans get to be in a position for a national ban in the foreseeable future but it's way greater than the likelihood that Abrams can do anything about our restriction on her own, sadly. If anything I think this is a point in favor of voting D for AG, Jen Jordan could probably do more on the abortion front than Abrams.
forsythvoter

« Reply #963 on: October 04, 2022, 03:53:55 PM »

That line of thinking is actually how I'm approaching about elections this year.
Senate: Warnock (D)
House: McCormick (R)
Governor: Kemp (R)
Lt. Gov: Undecided
AG: Jordan (D)
SOS: Raffensberger (R)
Superintendent: Undecided
AG Commisioner: Harper (R)
Insurance Commissioner: King (R)

Further Downballot Races: TBD

You don't think the Republicans would nuke the filibuster for this? I agree it's unlikely that the Republicans get to be in a position for a national ban in the foreseeable future but it's way greater than the likelihood that Abrams can do anything about our restriction on her own, sadly. If anything I think this is a point in favor of voting D for AG, Jen Jordan could probably do more on the abortion front than Abrams.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #964 on: October 04, 2022, 03:59:07 PM »

That line of thinking is actually how I'm approaching about elections this year.

For LG, would you consider the fact that Burt Jones was one of the fake electors (and quite likely to be indicted as a result) to be disqualifying?
forsythvoter

« Reply #965 on: October 04, 2022, 04:05:45 PM »

Oh, I didn't realize that - I haven't really tuned into the LG race yet, but yes, that would be a major factor if he were a 2020 election denier since I'm not sure how much power / influence the LG has except to break ties in the legislature, so there's not a lot of policy considerations for me for that role.

For LG, would you consider the fact that Burt Jones was one of the fake electors (and quite likely to be indicted as a result) to be disqualifying?
Cyrusman
« Reply #966 on: October 04, 2022, 04:15:35 PM »

Absolutely not. Republicans care about 2 things mainly. Tax cuts and judges. Both can be done with a simple majority. Nuking the filibuster would kill them the next time the Dems have a majority and would actually pass way more polarizing pieces of legislation. GOP would be stupid to nuke the filibuster. They had a chance to do it in 2017 and 2018 and did not and guess what they still got their tax cuts and judges passed with a simple majority.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #967 on: October 04, 2022, 04:23:16 PM »

If you don't think republicans would nuke the filibuster to pass a national abortion ban, you haven't been paying attention.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #968 on: October 04, 2022, 05:02:35 PM »

Read the article.  The Walker camp has known for months about the story, but just hoped it would never come out!
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #969 on: October 04, 2022, 05:40:41 PM »

I have to agree with Cyrusman here. If democrats can eliminate the filibuster then can’t republicans do the same thing to repeal it and affirmatively pass restrictions? Isn’t the elimination of the filibuster for appointees the reason Trump got 3 justice picks that did not have to appeal to a broad coalition?

That to me sounds like a recipe for A) political whiplash and B) leaders having an increasingly outsized amount of power with limited checks
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #970 on: October 04, 2022, 05:45:28 PM »

I have to agree with Cyrusman here. If democrats can eliminate the filibuster then can’t republicans do the same thing to repeal it and affirmatively pass restrictions? Isn’t the elimination of the filibuster for appointees the reason Trump got 3 justice picks that did not have to appeal to a broad coalition?

That to me sounds like a recipe for A) political whiplash and B) leaders having an increasingly outsized amount of power with limited checks

I mean, you would, what with you and Cyrusman both being diehard Republican partisans.  There is no reason for anyone who is pro-choice to even consider voting Republican for Congress until the reinstatement of  Roe has been nationally codified.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #971 on: October 04, 2022, 05:46:27 PM »

GA is done Rs aren't winning GA, AZ, NH and PA
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #972 on: October 04, 2022, 05:57:28 PM »

I mean, you would, what with you and Cyrusman both being diehard Republican partisans.  There is no reason for anyone who is pro-choice to even consider voting Republican for Congress until the reinstatement of  Roe has been nationally codified.

That’s the whole point. Why would they vote Republican after it has been codified? If they care that much about it, then they should understand that the next Republican trifecta would just repeal it, and decide not vote for republicans ever. Settling something with 60 votes makes fairly certain that it will not be repealed, unlike something that barely passes.

Also, my personal feelings are unrelated. I think it would be a great thing if abortion didn’t exist, but I would absolutely not support a Republican dismantling the filibuster in order to set restrictions. This would increase the chance of a narcissistic president acting like a dictator, and it would give the left free reign to eventually institute insane ideas. I don’t get why the idea of a right wing president having an unlimited agenda doesn’t similarly scare liberals.
Cyrusman
« Reply #973 on: October 04, 2022, 06:04:53 PM »

If you don't think republicans would nuke the filibuster to pass a national abortion ban, you haven't been paying attention.

I was around in 2017 and 2018 a whole 4-5 years ago when they easily could have done so and did not. What merit is there to suggest they will? It will literally come back to bite them in the ass the next time the Democrats have the trifecta. GOP can pass tax cuts and judges with a simple majority and they have the supreme court on their side too. Nuking the filibuster would be beyond stupid by them. They have zero reason to do so.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #974 on: October 04, 2022, 06:06:44 PM »

Read the article.  The Walker camp has known for months about the story, but just hoped it would never come out!

They had months and still botched the campaign initial twitter response in the most self-incriminating way possible.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 147  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies