Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:19:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 46646 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 29, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »

That's a piss-poor excuse and you know it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »

Obama has spoken.

Statements like this just prove that whether you agree or disagree with him, Obama was always a class act at least. Certainly a contrast to our present guy who can't get past the notion of it's all about him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »

I think its clear we need to separate Rioters/Looters/Protestors

Protestors are just normal peaceful people during the day peacefully protesting the murder.

Rioters are stupid and counterproductive but at least most people can agree there is justified anger against a police building and even if it shouldn't be destroyed there is some logic to this act. This could also be considered a violent protest. We can call this the voice of the unheard if you wish(despite the fact that Floydd's gf doesn't want this) My main problem speaking with this group is that they likely started a fire which is just a horrible idea due to how it can spread across a city

Looters are just greedy aholes who should all be arrested . This group often has intersection with Rioters due to the fires possibly.

People should try to use these 3 terms with these definitions. It is not opportunistic to burn down a police building but it is, to loot a Target.

A significant number of people, especially in the last two categories, jump between these classifications by the hour.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 11:58:16 AM »

So I'm of essentially two minds of this, but not in a contradictory fashion.

If on one hand you want to say that a pattern of abuse and institutionalized racism (presuming this hypothesis to be true) is both bad in and of itself and also (1) creates protests that (2) can degenerate into riots and/or can be taken advantage of to create riots by greedy third parties--then I agree with you and that means something needs to be fixed.

On the other hand, there is no reason for this argument to mean we should have some sort of perverted sympathy for people creating lawless situations that result in crimes well above and beyond property damage (rape, murder) to occur. Without having plumbed the depths of empirical evidence, I'm guessing that most of the (non-cop) human victims of this nonsense will probably be among the under-privileged. In the longer term, this is going to likely (a) have no effect, or (b) encourage the flight of capital from these areas, damaging long-term prospects for people in victimized communities. You can lay blame for that at the hands of social structure if you want, but that doesn't mean any particular rioter is in the "right".

Eloquently put. It expresses my feelings as well. I don't know why it's so hard to find no contradiction saying what those cops did was wrong and saying burning down a Target is also wrong. Yes, people have a reason to be justifiably pissed off, but Burning Down the buildings doesn't help let alone excuse it.. Then again that ignores the fact that the number of people actually committing those kind of Acts of vandalism and arson are a tiny tiny minority among the people in those neighborhoods.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 04:20:59 AM »

What are these photos of?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 03:37:26 PM »

Doctor Baden is the best in the business, and I hope that those still skeptical about the murder of George Floyd will see his findings and reconcile the fact that, regardless of the unrest, Floyd was murdered. Say what you will about the riots, but this was without a doubt a murder. The video alone shows that, but hopefully Doctor Baden's examination puts to rest everything else.

Sadly, it won't. The defense will use the first autopsy results as the "official" ones, in the second as hand picked by a private expert chosen by the Floyd family which has a financial interest in having a civil action against MPD. Could be an issue for reasonable doubt.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 01:53:34 AM »

DA Medical Examiner is now also calling the Floyd killing a homicide.

Im shocked. Who'd a thunk crushing someones windpipe for the length of a Quibi video would cause them to suffocate?

What are the symptoms of fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use?

Probably the same symptoms as having your airway blocked for 8 phucking minutes.

Mods, is it possible to "double-recommend" a post, please?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 01:56:35 AM »

So glad to see Trump taking decisive action. Long overdue -- this crisis has thus far been one of the few big black marks of his Presidency.

The best way to read this post is in the voice of an excited 8 year old, right down to inserting 'pew-pew' shooting noises.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »

This is going to be another NC-9 ramblefest.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »

That doesn’t justify pretty blatant homicide. I mean, Floyd was already disabled as a threat minutes before he started begging for air. When Mr Floyd desperately gasped out in pleas to get a bit of air, that should have been pretty damn obvious for the officer, even with the context. A lot of police allegations are exaggerated/miss context. This one doesn’t and is pretty obviously murder on the officer’s part.
According to the indictment, Floyd had said that he could not breathe several times while standing up.
...We have video evidence of everything, I don’t know who you are trying to fool here.
Quote from: State of Probable Cause against Derek Chauvin
"While standing outside the car, Mr. Floyd began saying and repeating that he could not breathe."

The state authorities have the body cam videos/audios. They prepared the indictment. It is not likely that they would make it up.

I won't know who "we" is in your statement. Do you work for the Minnesota or Minneapolis authorities or FBI?

I think that what forumlurker was trying to say is that Floyd saying he can't breathe while standing up is irrelevant to the fact that he was suffocated by a knee while on the ground.

Why is it irrelevant?

Floyd said that he couldn't breathe while standing up and when he was constrained on the ground. It is not unreasonable to believe that his position did not have an effect on his breathing.

Yep. True to form Jim Texas is about to go full-on JJ and embarrass himself repeatedly.

Dude, quit while you're behind and go back to the redistricting thread.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »

Before we continue this back and forth, jimrtex, let me ask: in your opinion, was there wrongdoing on the part of Officer Chauvin?
What do you mean by wrongdoing?

Is that the same as doing the wrong thing?

Were his actions those of malfeasance or misfeasance?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Lane?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Kueng?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Thao?

According to the indictment Officer Lane asked Floyd whether he was "on anything"? It is unknown whether Floyd responded.

When Justine Damond was shot and killed by a Minneapolis Police officer in 2017, was it because she was black?

So what was the price of gold today, JJ?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 09:31:13 PM »

Floyd said that he couldn't breathe while standing up and when he was constrained on the ground. It is not unreasonable to believe that his position did not have an effect on his breathing.

An autopsy proved he was suffocated due to the placement of knees on his neck and back so it doesn't really matter what it might be reasonable to believe before we had that result. Now we know he was suffocated and why he suffocated.

Don't confuse JJ 2.0 with facts.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 06:05:38 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2020, 09:35:15 AM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

So do I have this right, he's being charged with 2nd degree murder in addition to 3rd degree murder? I've read some articles that say the charge has been "upgraded" and others that say he's being charged with both. I didn't think you could charge someone with two different degrees of murder for the same killing, but Minnesota's murder laws appear to be somewhat funky.

One can charge one with various degrees of murder out of the same incident. And in this case should. The jury can convicted of multiple counts, but under a Doctrine called merger the prosecution sentencing has to choose which particular account they were convicted up on which the defendant would be sentenced - - of course presumably the most serious count - - rather than him being sentenced on each individual charge.

I say he should be charged with various degrees because juries are so so so willing to give cops the benefit of the doubt even in these heinous cases. That is changing, but they are still reluctant to say that a cop was more than just freaked out and scared, Etc.

Let's get a good conviction rather than the perfect one. Beats the s*** out of an acquittal.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »

I can't help it wondering, though, how many would appear there for a Muslim lives matter March?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 11:41:15 AM »

A shockingly stupid thing to say:

Access to tweet appears to have been removed. Who posted it and what did they say?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 09:11:34 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2020, 07:26:42 AM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

Seriously! They're not even people!

Florida requires 180-day residency for tax purposes I know because my parents Works boring that. I don't know what it requires for voting, though.

EDIT: Looked it and it's rather loosey-goosey. Nevertheless, I would be hard-pressed are the criteria I looked up to ever consider Chauvin to be a Florida resident if he was working full-time for MPD. And paying taxes in Minnesota. Whether the prosecution will pick it up is a sorely different matter
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 08:21:57 AM »

Maybe Ms. Omar should focus on this instead of bashing her party's nominee.

I've missed this. Has she in fact spent a lot of time bashing Biden? Wouldn't surprise me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 04:02:16 AM »

Because I'm a masochist, I decided to take a look at r/ProtectAndServe and it turns out those people are just as deranged as I thought. To be fair, some of them did say the maybe, just maybe, not having enough job experience is not a justification for thinking that killing someone is all fine and dandy, but more than enough were saying the opposite.

For context: Lane and Kueng are two of the officers charged with abetting George Floyd's murder.

Did they BOTH have only 4 days on the job? I heard one cop did.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »

And a mega f*** you to all the people who donated to his Go fund me account which undoubtedly raised the hundred grand necessary to post this one million-dollar Bond.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 02:24:30 AM »

We need to separate rioters, protesters, and looters because they are all different and have to be considered as such.
Protesters: people who march out peacefully but vigorously and use their 1st amendment rights to petition for better treatment from the government. They are key in keeping up pressure on the MPD and they should be lauded.
Rioters: the fringe elements disparately connected to the protestors in theory but with different tactics, which involve destroying private property, harming what little remains of civic peace, and literally and figuratively pouring gasoline on the fire.
Looters: opportunistic sorts focused not on any greivances they might have about the status quo but rather using the anarchy to rob people and attack people and steal their belongings.
The first group should not be tarred with the misguided frenzy of the second and the villainous harm of the third. Public order has to be upheld and so does the social contract. The social peace MUST be preserved or else things fall apart.

I agree with this characterization.

But to put it in context of your earlier point, Hawaii Democrat apologize supposedly for writing and destruction, it is because they had literally no connection, in fact actively denounced such actions. Here with the proud boys and Q anons takeover of the capital, the exact opposite is true where they are a 100% MAGA paramilitary cult, Trump has actively and aggressively encourage them, and most of the Republican party has actively and aggressively supported Trump's doing so.

So while I agree with your divisions of protesters versus looters, Etc,, the connection between idiots who looted stores or set fires during riots this summer. Democratic party vs the Republican party and Trump's connection to the mob who took over the capital yesterday is literally a night-and-day distinction.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies