Italy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:34:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Italy  (Read 37327 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2006, 08:19:06 PM »

Cheers Phil

Have they stopped counting until tomorrow now or rather until daylight hours?

Dave
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2006, 08:21:02 PM »

According to another site, The Union has proclaimed victory.

EDIT: Yahoo! now reporting that Prodi claims victory.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060411/wl_nm/italy_dc_49;_ylt=AoWXuAhxLpBJDAch77O93go20M0A;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
YoMartin
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2006, 08:27:01 PM »

Everything seems over, although I expect recounts from now on. 25.000 votes is barely nothing and Silvio sure knows how to get things dirty... Especially considering jail is not out of the question when he leaves office.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2006, 08:31:48 PM »

Seems this is it. Including the foreign vote (?) the seat allocation will be 340 left to 277 right. The Senate will be 154 left to 155 right, which leaves the Senators for life decisive.  But, truth be told, Berlusconi did give it a much better run than I'd expect beforehand. He might stay around to lead the coalition for a while (until the new government manages to jail him, at least). 
YoMartin
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »

Berlusconi indeed ran an excellent race. I actually canīt find any positive things under his administration...

My favourites from La Rosa nel Pugno (plattform: http://www.rosanelpugno.it/rosanelpugno/programma; bear in mind "liberal" and "radical" are used in its european sense), on the other side, couldnīt pass the million votes (2.6%). LīUlivo and the former communists (well, there are three former communists within L`Unione) monopolised most of Unione votes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2006, 08:49:24 PM »

So to clear things up...

Berlusconi is likely to ask for a recount in the lower house while the upper house will narrowly stay with his coalition (unless the overseas vote comes in big for the left). Sound right?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2006, 08:55:30 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2006, 09:02:12 PM by ag »

So to clear things up...

Berlusconi is likely to ask for a recount in the lower house while the upper house will narrowly stay with his coalition (unless the overseas vote comes in big for the left). Sound right?

Yes, he is likely to ask for a recount in the lower house. The overseas vote has come big to the left, that is why in the latest projections he only has a one seat lead there (155 to 154). But he does not have a majority, unless we figure out who are the Senators for life (former presidents? In that case he is screwed).

Correction: Actually, I was wrong. The foreign vote is not yet included, the addition is due to adding the Valle d'Aosta and Trentino Alto Adige, which are not included in the national count, since they elect senators separately. In the end, the left took 6 seats there, and the right only 2. Thus, the foreign senatros will be decisive, and, given the early returns from abroad, most of them will be left. Still, the senators-for-life will be decisive.
YoMartin
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2006, 09:15:48 PM »

Iīm a bit out-of-date with the recent legal changes. Iīve read the Senate has taken greater importance, but I assume it still canīt elect/censor a government, right?

I understand 6 senators are elected in foreign countries. LīUnione is currently beating Forza Italia 45% - 22%, which would translate in 4-2 senators each and... LīUnione getting 158 senators against Casa delle Libertá 157! But WAIT. As I said, for some reason Argentinaīs votes (second largest italian community after Germany) havenīt been counted yet, so As. It. Sudamerica (currently at 8%) could end up getting a senator from LīUnione... 157-157!!! I have no idea where that senator could end up going to...
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2006, 09:18:22 PM »

On a different site it says that the Union has an additional 6 expatriate seats. How will that effect the results?
YoMartin
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2006, 09:18:57 PM »

They just started counting in Argentina: with only 1 "sezioni scrutinate" (of a total of 104), As. It. Sudamerica is getting 50% here, so... that 6th foreign senator will be very hard fought...
YoMartin
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2006, 09:37:16 PM »

Regional results follow expectations, from what Iīve checked so far. Prodi got 60% in Toscana and Emilia Romagna (Iīve found the highest numbers -67%- in Livorno, Firenze and Siena, and similar numbers in former "red areas" like Reggio Emilia and Bologna). Berlusconi is getting similar numbers in Northern areas like Lombardia and Veneto. Catholic parties (from both coalitions) got their best results in the south. Former fascist Alleanza Nazionale is strong in Lazio (Rome and surroundings).

For football fans, no wonder why Lazio-Livorno turn into wars between the fans...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2006, 10:01:46 PM »

On a different site it says that the Union has an additional 6 expatriate seats. How will that effect the results?

If this is about the Senate and they all went Union, the left would have 160 seats to 155 for the right w/ 7 senators for life still holding the balance. But I do not believe all 6 would go Union, though Union should get most of them.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2006, 10:11:54 PM »

Iīm a bit out-of-date with the recent legal changes. Iīve read the Senate has taken greater importance, but I assume it still canīt elect/censor a government, right?

CNN and BBC both seem to imply that if the two chambers are controlled by different coalitions, the government can't be formed. In that case a new election is necessary after a few months (there'd be a caretaker government in between). So, who are the senators for life?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2006, 10:18:49 PM »

Anyone who still believes in the "liberal media" should've read the AP story on this I read in today's StarTrib. It basically described Berlusconi as a US ally holding against an opposition block that "includes Communists". Yeah, and no mention of Berlusconi's not-so-reformed fascist Mussolini loving coalition partners, or the wonderfully racist Lega Nord that make up a hell of a lot larger part of his coalition than the Communists do of Prodi's. And of course ignores the fact that the Communists only reluctantly came aboard. And of course it then narrowly glossed over Berlusconi's corruption and then mentioned Berlusconi accusing Prodi of being used by the Communists to undermine democracy (despite the fact there is no indictation of the Communist Refoundation ever being undemocratic). You'd expect Italy to become a new Soviet republic under a Prodi government juding only from that article.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2006, 02:03:37 AM »

Anyone who still believes in the "liberal media" should've read the AP story on this I read in today's StarTrib. It basically described Berlusconi as a US ally holding against an opposition block that "includes Communists". Yeah, and no mention of Berlusconi's not-so-reformed fascist Mussolini loving coalition partners, or the wonderfully racist Lega Nord that make up a hell of a lot larger part of his coalition than the Communists do of Prodi's. And of course ignores the fact that the Communists only reluctantly came aboard. And of course it then narrowly glossed over Berlusconi's corruption and then mentioned Berlusconi accusing Prodi of being used by the Communists to undermine democracy (despite the fact there is no indictation of the Communist Refoundation ever being undemocratic). You'd expect Italy to become a new Soviet republic under a Prodi government juding only from that article.

I'd take the "Northern League" long before I sided with Communists frankly!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2006, 02:26:26 AM »

Seems this is it. Including the foreign vote (?) the seat allocation will be 340 left to 277 right. The Senate will be 154 left to 155 right, which leaves the Senators for life decisive.  But, truth be told, Berlusconi did give it a much better run than I'd expect beforehand. He might stay around to lead the coalition for a while (until the new government manages to jail him, at least). 
The House figure is without Foreign and Val d'Aosta (since the House has 630 seats). The Senate figure seems to include Val d'Aosta but not foreign... it all depends on whether the Left will win 3 or 4 of the 6 foreign Senators then...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2006, 02:29:49 AM »

I'd take the "Northern League" long before I sided with Communists frankly!
WHich just proves you know nothing whatsoever of Italy... actually... going by 1945 to 90... it hardly matters what you put instead of "Northern LEague". Grin
andrewa
Rookie

« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2006, 03:49:13 AM »

Expatriate senators: Prodi 4 Berlusconi 1 Latino America Italians 1 
So Senate: Prodi 158 Berlusconi 156 Latino America 1
We have also seven "life senators": Rita Levi Montalcini, Sergio Pininfarina,
Emilio Colombo, Giorgio Napolitano, Giulio Andreotti, and former republic presidents Oscar Luigi Scalfaro and Francesco Cossiga.
Normally they don't vote in Senate...But they are 5 centerleft, 1 centerright and one free horse (Cossiga)
House: Prodi 340, Berlusconi 277, waiting 13 expatriates deputies.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2006, 03:58:30 AM »

How were the Senators from abroad partitioned between the continents?

Also, maybe you can explain this to me...
Why the hell did UDEUR, SVP, and DC-Nuovo PSI receive any seats? I thought there's a 2% threshold?
I guess there may have been an excemption clause for a party that only runs in one region and polls almost 50% there (SVP), but what about the other two?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2006, 04:34:04 AM »

I guess Berlusconi will now try the Al Gore strategy.

Nevertheless, it's time for me to say:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2006, 06:09:51 AM »

I have to admit that dear Silvio being screwed by what is, in effect, his own gerrymander, is really quite funny...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2006, 07:12:13 AM »

The question now is--how long will the left wing coalition last.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2006, 08:21:18 AM »

That was one of the interesting things during the election. Berlusconi actually led a fairly stable government and remained PM for a long time by Italian standards. Prodi's coalition, looking at their past record is less likely to remain stable andn is more politically diverse. It would be a travesty if Italy went back to the shifting 'coalitions within coalitions' of the past.
YoMartin
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2006, 08:27:03 AM »

CNN and BBC both seem to imply that if the two chambers are controlled by different coalitions, the government can't be formed. In that case a new election is necessary after a few months (there'd be a caretaker government in between). So, who are the senators for life?

If this is the case, we can no longer consider Berlusconiīs reform a pro-gobernability reform. Australia used to have lower and upper chambers with similar powers to elect/censor governments, and it once led to a crisis solved by... the Queen of Englandīs delegate there. There is just no way to solve a dispute between both chambers (unless the reform also empowered the presidency, but still...). It is even more unusual to have a chamber with some non-elected members able to elect/censor governments.

So the foreign senators went 4-1-1, no 3-2-1 as I expected (the South American list ran an impressive election, specially in getting out the vote -over 50% voted in Argentina, over 60% in Uruguay). In the latter scenario, the senate would be tied 157-157. Luckily that didnīt happen.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2006, 08:52:59 AM »

Not really; the question is how long can Prodi remain the head of the left wing coalition. The traditional pattern of Italian politics is for a coalition to "collapse" and for a new one, made up of exactly the same names, but shuffled around a bit, to be formed very soon afterwards.
If the results are what they seem to be, there's nothing to stop the Left ruling for the next five years if that's what they want to do.

It would be a travesty if Italy went back to the shifting 'coalitions within coalitions' of the past.

Perhaps. But it would be better than what's gone on for the past five years.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies