2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: West Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:38:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: West Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: The 2 remaining seats will naturally go to the GOP, so it doesn't really matter how the GOP decides to redistrict here, but which map is more likely?
One district in the North (in the DC media market) and one in the South (coal country).
One district in the West (near PA and OH) and one in the East (bordering VA).
Neither / a mixture of both.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: West Virginia  (Read 4777 times)
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »

Hang on. Jeez.

https://www.wvlegislature.gov/legisdocs/chamber/2021/3X/floor_amends/SB3033%20SFA%20TRUMP%20_1%2010-13%20adopted.htm

This Trump amendment, which appears to be the one adopted, did flip the districts over and make the 2nd the northern one. (As well as putting Pendleton in the south and Ritchie in the north)

It says "SB3033 SFA TRUMP _1 10-13 adopted.htm"

So I assume that means it's adopted. Huh.

Only possible reason I can think of for this is giving Mooney a tiny bit of legitimacy in his new district retaining the number of his old district.

I watched a little bit of the debate and the reason for the number flip, I kid you not, is they drew the southern district first and the software they used labeled it #1.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2021, 05:37:13 PM »

Hang on. Jeez.

https://www.wvlegislature.gov/legisdocs/chamber/2021/3X/floor_amends/SB3033%20SFA%20TRUMP%20_1%2010-13%20adopted.htm

This Trump amendment, which appears to be the one adopted, did flip the districts over and make the 2nd the northern one. (As well as putting Pendleton in the south and Ritchie in the north)

Only possible reason I can think of for this is giving Mooney a tiny bit of legitimacy in his new district retaining the number of his old district.

I watched a little bit of the debate and the reason for the number flip, I kid you not, is they drew the southern district first and the software they used labeled it #1.
Do you know if there’s a link to the debate anywhere? I’d like to add that little fact to Wikipedia but would need a source.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2021, 05:49:52 PM »

Hang on. Jeez.

Do you know if there’s a link to the debate anywhere? I’d like to add that little fact to Wikipedia but would need a source.

Sorry I don't know. I can't even remember who said it (Sen Trump?) or exactly when,  I just remember that somebody said it and it made me laugh.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2021, 04:47:19 PM »

The West Virginia Senate is done with its map -now the focus turns to the House:

After delays, West Virginia Senate passes redistricting map

In case anyone asks, each Senate district (there are 17 in total) is represented by two senators, making for a 34-seat Senate.  
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2021, 05:25:00 PM »

The West Virginia Senate is done with its map -now the focus turns to the House:

After delays, West Virginia Senate passes redistricting map

In case anyone asks, each Senate district (there are 17 in total) is represented by two senators, making for a 34-seat Senate.  

Also in case anyone asks, the State House is transitioning from MMD's to SMDs, so things are going to change a lot and not to the benefit of the Democrats - even if there is no gerrymandering.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2021, 04:53:40 PM »

With Justice's signature, West Virginia becomes the fifth non-at-large state to complete its redistricting process.

*yawn*
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2021, 05:12:34 PM »

Bye-bye Mooney.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2021, 06:45:09 PM »

Hang on. Jeez.

Image Link
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2021, 07:01:56 PM »

Yeah, the primary is Likely McKinley. I don't think there's really any way Mooney is favored.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2021, 01:28:18 PM »

The new maps passed by the legislature have been signed into law by Governor Jim Justice:

New district maps now available online

And here is where you can find them:

https://sos.wv.gov/elections/Pages/WVRedistricting.aspx
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies