After the first two days, where do you think Biden will rank among Presidents?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:07:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  After the first two days, where do you think Biden will rank among Presidents?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Where will Biden rank on the historical list once his presidency is over?
Top 5

6-10

11-20

21-30

31-40

Bottom 5

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: After the first two days, where do you think Biden will rank among Presidents?  (Read 2467 times)
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 09:09:02 AM »

12 or 13.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 09:52:49 AM »

Far too early to tell but, gun to my head, I think he'll be seen similarly to how Obama is, maybe a little more favorably because his presidency will likely be bracketed by those of absolute ghouls. Left-leaning historians will see him as good-to-not-quite-great, right-leaning historians as fair-to-middling. Voted 11-20, hopefully closer to 11 than 20.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 10:29:35 AM »

I pretty strongly disagree with this sentiment.

If you posted a thread to a sports message board that was something like "Who do you think is going to win the Superbowl in two weeks?", no one would responds "No one has any idea, the game hasn't even started yet".

I feel like we can make pretty strong predictions based on what we already know about both Biden and the political climate and issues he is likely to face.  If you buy into Skowronek's theory of political time, you can pretty strongly predict a president's ranking just based on his party and the success or failure of the presidents who preceded him.  

And I had pretty clear impression of where I thought Clinton, GWB, and Obama would end up in the rankings on their inauguration days, and they all ended up being pretty close to accurate.  (To be fair, Obama's presidency ended up being mostly a disappointment to me, but for some reason other scholars tend to rank him more highly than I do....i.e. they rank him where I thought he'd end up at the start of his term rather than where I'd rank him now.)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »

I think he is the perfect President for the moment. Like Obama had to do after the Republicans trashed the country during Bush W years, Biden will hold the country steady, getting it back on its feet. That is the most important thing we need right now.

Frankly, I don't care about somebody elses's opinion of who is great and who is a poor President. I have the utmost confidence in Biden to do a better job of working for the health of our nation than anyone else on the scene. I was against him at first but he won me over.

Who cares where he will rank, just get this covid thing under control and get our people back to work and our economy running again. Get the country stabilized. That's worth everything.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2021, 01:17:57 AM »

Obviously first cause the White House.gov now has dark mode. He may even be better then cheese at this rate

One day the Biden Monument is going to note that in a big inscription ahead of his actually being president like Jefferson writing the Declaration of Independence  and founding the University of Virginia.

What's the over-under on Biden winning the Nobel Peace Prize after this?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2021, 05:48:49 AM »

11-20 until the Pandemic is over, its not gonna be a smooth transition
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2021, 02:25:31 PM »

Top 15 ish. He already feels like the best president ever due to the comparison of who he replaced. It’ll be tough for him to achieve greatness in this climate, but history may show him to be a very good president when all is said and done.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2021, 07:20:30 PM »

He'll be a one-termer with no meaningful accomplishments for the whole of America.

31-40.  He will NOT be a consequential President.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2021, 07:23:45 PM »

He'll be a one-termer with no meaningful accomplishments for the whole of America.

Do you think Biden will rank lower than Trump?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2021, 08:03:16 PM »

That depends who does the ranking.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2021, 08:05:47 PM »

31-40.  He will NOT be a consequential President.

I was interested in your personal evaluation of where they will stand. Is it your belief that Biden will rank lower than Trump, or the opposite?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2021, 08:11:02 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him crack the top 10 but since so many of 1-10 are already locks (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Roosevelt, Truman, etc.) I voted 11-20. Considering the trifecta, Democratic unity, and the general ambition of his proposed policy, I fully expect him to pass more relevant legislation than anyone since at least LBJ.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 08:14:42 PM »

The better question to ask is where all the former Presidents will rank below him.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 09:23:12 PM »

31-40.  He will NOT be a consequential President.

I was interested in your personal evaluation of where they will stand. Is it your belief that Biden will rank lower than Trump, or the opposite?

He will be a weak caretaker of a sort who could not stand up to the extremists in his party.

Kamala Harris has a better chance of being a "consequential" President. 

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2021, 09:37:30 PM »

I don’t really understand the point of this poll, given how it’s clear almost no one on here actually cares how historians rank presidents.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 10:29:07 PM »

31-40? You seriously believe there is a chance that Biden will be among the bottom 5 presidents of all time?

You're not a serious person.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2021, 10:34:10 PM »

31-40? You seriously believe there is a chance that Biden will be among the bottom 5 presidents of all time?

I'm serious as a heart attack.

31 puts him in the bottom 15.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2021, 10:39:17 PM »

I'm serious as a heart attack.

31 puts him in the bottom 15.

That seems to be a poor rating. But do you believe Biden will rank worse than Trump? I know you've said that you think he will be a caretaker, but you haven't said whether or not you think he's worse than his predecessor. What do you think of his first few days in office?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2021, 11:00:57 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him crack the top 10 but since so many of 1-10 are already locks (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Roosevelt, Truman, etc.) I voted 11-20. Considering the trifecta, Democratic unity, and the general ambition of his proposed policy, I fully expect him to pass more relevant legislation than anyone since at least LBJ.

The last several polls have consistently put Lincoln, FDR, Washington, and TR as the top 4, then Jefferson, Truman, and Ike as 5-7 in some order.

But after that it’s pretty inconsistent.  LBJ, Kennedy, and Obama all pop up in the 8-10 range depending on the survey.  It’s seems quite reasonably to me to believe that Biden could rank at least as high as any of them.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2021, 11:31:29 PM »

The modern presidential rankings of so-called "political experts" tend to favor some of the most authoritarian and interventionist men to ever hold the office, so I can only assume Biden will rank no lower than 20.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2021, 01:19:41 PM »

People thought Trump would be the worst President since before he even took office.

And they ended up being right.

Eh, the expectations game becomes somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Everything Trump did took on this existential quality because of the unique novelty of his campaign/rhetoric.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies