Arizona megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:39:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arizona megathread  (Read 71360 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 02, 2022, 09:47:48 PM »

If Hispanics shift in Arizona the way they've shifted in Florida and New Mexico, the state will once more be unwinnable for Democrats.

New Mexico literally trended Democratic between 2016 and 2020. Do you even listen to yourself?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 05:53:54 PM »

In a bright spot for this cursed state:

Trump got 60% in this town. Looks like even a lot of conservatives are done with Arpaio's crap. Hopefully they continue to reject extremism in November.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 12:37:54 PM »

Also, I think her name ID seems a bit overrated - she was only an anchor in one of the media markets.

That's like saying that all of Pennsylvania knows Jim Gardner just because he's a legend in the *Philly area*

You realize that Maricopa County is home to over 60% of the state's population...

I think Lake is insane and I don't want her to be the governor, but Hobbs really needs to get her s**t together.

Guess what? Democrats can and do run bad campaigns.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 12:12:08 AM »

Afaik, this means a net pickup of +3 governorships for the Dems this cycle, correct?
No? The governorships are net even. Lombardo won, and Hobbs won. Every incumbent other than Sisolak won.

MD and MA were Safe D flips.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 12:01:36 PM »

Knives are deservedly out for Kelli Ward:
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 09:23:31 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2022, 09:28:53 PM by Roll Roons »

Im not sure I understand what this is supposed to mean.

Higher rural turnout does not guarantee better results for the GOP.

It also feels weird to lump all of the non-Maricopa/Pima counties together.

Pinal is best classified as exurban. Even if we also exclude it, there will be a naturally high Democratic floor in the rest of the state because of Native Americans, Hispanics and some white liberal touristy areas.

A lot of "rural" Arizona (and Nevada for that matter) is vast stretches of unpopulated desert. There aren't a lot of small towns full of Trumpy conservatives like there are in, say, Indiana or Ohio.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 10:00:41 AM »

I guess the ~500 vote difference for AG is too much to expect a different outcome? Why is that one even closer than Gov and SoS?

I think it’s just that the race went under the radar compared to the other two. I’m not sure if Hamadeh was an election denier, but he was certainly much less vocal about it than Lake or Finchem.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 09:27:28 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2022, 10:05:01 PM by Roll Roons »

I can't quite put my finger on why, but I somehow always disliked Lake far more than Mastriano.

Maybe it's the fact that Trump endorsed her early, while he only endorsed Mastriano the weekend before the primary when he was pulling away. Or maybe it's because she was always much more likely to win so I perceived her as a bigger threat even though he was arguably more extreme.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 12:30:42 PM »

This has got to be the closest statewide election in recent memory, right?

Even when Al Franken beat Norm Coleman, it was by 312.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 11:09:17 AM »

When even FINCHEM gives up, it just makes K**i L**e look even more pathetic.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 07:04:55 PM »

Regarding the counting process, one reform I would make is to make the deadline for mailing in ballots the weekend before the election, and any absentees past that need to be dropped off at a vote center. Since a majority of absentees are ie mailed from Maricopa to Maricopa, most should be counted within 12 hours of polls closing. There will be small amount of provisionals and postmarked absentees arriving after that, but that would only be a trickle, and not cause a sudden large shift. I would aim to get at least 95% of the ballots in by the day after the election (and ideally, 99%), not 80% like before.

Just follow Florida's lead.
-Mail ballots have to be received by poll closing.
-In-person early votes have to be counted by the day before election day.
-Allow early and mail ballots to be processed ahead of time. Even if it's the Republican legislature that's blocking this, there's a very real chance that Democrats get a trifecta in 2024 and can immediately implement this for 2026 and beyond.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 01:58:18 PM »

Recall that Hodge ran for Congress against David Schweikert in 2022 and only barely lost. How is this only coming out now?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies