A Massachusettan in the White House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:05:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Massachusettan in the White House
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: How do youbwant to see inauguration day
Inaugural Address and swearing in of President and Vice President
Inaugural festivities, walking to the White House
A news broadcast giving a general overview of inauguration day
I do not want to see inauguration day
Other, send me a private mesage
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: A Massachusettan in the White House  (Read 3793 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 10:05:44 PM »

Dec 20, 2004

NY Times Article:
Rumors swirl on Capitol Hill that San Francisco Rep. Nancy Pelosi was planning to challenge Dick Gephardt for the leadership position. Pundits speculate this is why he reversed on the Labor job.

Gov. Kean and Secretary Ridge meet in Pennsylvania. They discussed national security, the terrorism threat, and the role of the Secretary of Homeland Security

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 10:19:56 PM »

Dec 24, 2004

Kerry names US Representative from Minnesota's 8th Congressional District Jim Oberstar (D-MN) as Secretary of Transportation

Kerry names Gov. Mark Warner (D-VA) as Secretary of Energy

Cabinet-level office leaks:
Director of National Intelligence: Jane Harman, Gary Hart
Office of Management and Budget: John Spratt, Kent Conrad
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 02:27:31 AM »

This looks very interesting. Would have been even more ironic if W lost the PV. That was a real possibility in '04.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 07:33:41 AM »

This looks very interesting. Would have been even more ironic if W lost the PV. That was a real possibility in '04.

Bush did lose the PV in this timeline
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 09:51:06 PM »

Dec 26, 2004

Kerry names former Senior Agri-Lender for the World Bank and former Under Secretary of Agriculture for Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services Gus Schumacher as Secretary of Agriculture

Kerry names Boston Mayor Tom Menino (D-MA) as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »

Dec 28, 2004

Kerry names Piper Rudnick Partner and Lobbyist John Merrigan as Secretary of Commerce

Kerry names US Representative from California's 36th Congressional District Jane Harman (D-CA) as Director of National Intelligence

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 10:18:12 PM »

Dec 30, 2004

Kerry names Sen. Kent Conrad (D-ND) as Director of the Office of Management and Budget

Kerry names former Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Susan Rice as National Security Advisor

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 10:31:43 PM »

Jan 2, 2005

Kerry names Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE) as United States Ambassador to the United Nations

Kerry names New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer (D-NY) as Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 10:38:28 PM »

Jan 3, 2005

New Senators and Representatives sworn in

New Senators:

Ken Salazar (D-CO)
Betty Castor (D-FL)
Johnny Isaskon (R-GA)
Barack Obama (D-IL)
Daniel Mongiardo (D-KY)
Chris John (D-LA)
Richard Burr (R-NC)
Tom Coburn (R-OK)
Jim DeMint (R-SC)

New Senate: 51-49 R
New House: 230-205 R
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 10:46:35 PM »

Jan 4, 2005

Kerry names President of the Center for Strategic and International Studies and former Deputy Secretary of Defense John Hamre as Director of the CIA

Kerry names Boies, Schiller & Flexner lawyer David Boies as Director of the FBI

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2019, 10:56:33 PM »

Jan 6, 2005
Kerry names Manager of Farallon Capital Management Tom Steyer as Director of the National Economic Council

Kerry names US Representative from New York's 15th Congressional District Charles Engel (D-NY) as Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 11:05:19 PM »

Jan 8, 2005

Kerry names US Representative from South Carolina's 5th Congressional District John Spratt (D-SC) as US Trade Representative

Kerry names Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin (D-GA) as Administrator of the Small Business Association

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 11:10:44 PM »

Jan 10, 2005

Kerry names political consultant Bob Schrum as White House Chief of Staff

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 09:37:02 PM »

Jan 12, 2005

Kerry names Former Director of the Office of Public Liason Mary Beth Cahill as Counselor to the President

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »

Jan 13, 2005

CNN announces televised interviews with Sen. Edwards and Sen. Kerry on Jan 15-16 respectively

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 10:17:13 PM »

Jan 15, 2005

8:00 PM

Voiceover: Coming Up--A Special CNN Event: Judy Woodruff Interviews Former NC Senator and Vice President-Elect John Edwards Live
Judy Woodruff: Thank You, Senator Edwards for being here
John Edwards: My pleasure
Woodruff: Senator, how did you and Senator Kerry react when you found you had won?
Edwards: We were just really excited
Woodruff: Senator, in your home state of North Carolina, what is one issue that you want to bring greater attention to as Vice President?
Edwards: Well, in North Carolina, I would say a major issues is disaster insurance and disaster relief, a lot of coastal North Carolina is prone to hurricanes and we should be better prepared for that
Woodruff: Senator, what is one issue that you and Senator Kerry have a different opinion about?
Edwards: In general, I support the death penalty and Senator Kerry opposes the death penalty
Woodruff: We will take a short commercial break
Voiceover: CNN’s live interview with Vice President Elect John Edwards will be back soon
[commercial break]
Voiceover: Welcome back to CNN’s live interview wih Vice President Elect John Edwards
Woodruff: We are back with Vice President Elect and former North Carolina Senator John Edwards. Senator, what is one issue with which you disagree with the Bush administration?
Edwards: Well for one, I disagree with how the Bush administration has handled the Iraq War
Woodruff: Senator, what is one policy of the Bush administration that you support?
Edwards: I support the Bush administration’s policy with No Child Left Behind, but believe that the program needs more funding
Woodruff: Senator, if you were the deciding vote in the Senate on a bill that Senator Kerry supported, but you opposed, how would you vote?
Edwards: I would vote my conscience, I am not afraid to disagree with Senator Kerry, but I would not try to undermine his agenda. For example, if it was a signature initiative, I would have to see the actual bill and its language.
Woodruff: Senator, how do you think that the Bush Presidency will be remembered?
Edwards: I think it will be remembered as a relatively average Presidency, with some high points and some low points
Woodruff: Senator, what is one thing that you want America to know about you as a person?
Edwards: I want America to know that I have a family like so many Americans. I know the concern of families. I will fight for America’s families.
Woodruff: Thank You, Senator Edwards
Edwards: My pleasure
Voiceover: This was CNN’s Interview with Vice President Elect and former North Carolina Senator John Edwards. Tomorrow at 9:00 is CNN’s Interview with Massachusetts Senator and President-Elect John Kerry
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 11:29:34 PM »

Jan 16, 2005

9:00 PM

Voiceover: Coming Up--A Special CNN Event: Erica Hill Interviews Massachusetts Senator and President-Elect John Kerry Live
Erica Hill: Thank you, Senator Kerry for joining us
John Kerry: Thank you for having me
Hill: Senator, what do you believe is the greatest challenge facing our nation?
Kerry: I believe that the greatest challenge facing our nation is the threat from terrorism overseas and how the Bush administration continues to mismanage the War in Iraq.
Hill: Senator, Americans are divided on the Iraq War, it was a key issue in your campaign, how would you handle the war?
Kerry: The first thing is that we need greater foreign involvement in this war, and the second thing is that if we have to pull out, we have to do it slowly and carefully, we cannot leave a power vacuum in Iraq
Hill: Senator, yesterday on national television, Sen. Edwards, said that he "would vote his conscience" on a bill that you supported and he opposed and that he "would have to see the bill and it's language." If there was a rift between you and Sen. Edwards, how would you resolve it?
Kerry: My goal is to avoid 50-50 votes on bills, but if I knew that Sen. Edwards would vote against it, I would provide concessions to senators who would be on the fence, to try to secure passage
Hill: Senator, what is one policy of the Bush administration, that you opposed other than the Iraq War?
Kerry: I opposed the Bush administration's ban on stem-stell research, this is critical research, that people who are severely burnt or injured  need and we should not be banning it.
Hill: Senator, you are taking office with Republicans in control of both Houses of Congress. How do you plan to reach out to Republicans to pass your agenda?
Kerry: I plan to reach out to moderate Republicans, who would be open to some of my more moderate proposals, also we will have to compromise with the Republicans, so we may have to give them some concessions
Hill: We will take a short commercial break
Voiceover: CNN's Live Interview with President-Elect John Kerry will be back soon
[commercial break]
Voiceover: Welcome Back to CNN's Live Interview with President-Elect John Kerry
Hill: We are back with President-Elect and Massachusetts Senator, John Kerry. Senator, what major policy proposals do you want to enact as President?
Kerry: I think we need more action on LGBT rights. I will push for a bill that will recognize the rights that these people have not had far far too long
Hill: Senator, what is one issue in your home state of Massachusetts, that you want to address as President?
Kerry: Massachusetts is a coastal state. I think that the changing climate is going to be an issue for Massachusetts very soon. I would push for us to join the Kyoto Protocol, to limit the impact of climate change and preserve these coastal communities
Hill: Senator, a number of Republicans have threatened to filibuster some of your Cabinet picks. What would you do to make sure that your Cabinet confirmations are not rejected by the Senate?
Kerry: Well for one, I have two Republicans in key positions, Gov. Kean at Homeland Security and Sen. Hagel at the UN Ambassador position. I also have moderate Democrats, such as Sen. Biden at State and Sen. Nunn at Defense. Also, I don't think that it sets a good precedent to reject Cabinet nominees, because of party.
Hill: Senator, what is one policy of the Bush administration that you would keep intact?
Kerry: I support the measures that Bush took in Afghanistan, the Afghanistan War has been managed well by the Bush administration
Hill: Senator, how do you think that the Bush Presidency will be remembered?
Kerry: I think it is too early to tell, usually you need at least a decade to analyze a Presidency
Hill: Senator, many Americans, especially Bush voters, think you are liberal coastal elitist from Massachusetts, how can you tell these Americans that you relate to the common man?
Kerry: Well, I have raised a family, like many Americans. Also I share many concerns of Americans, about issues like education and Social Security.
Hill: Thank You, Senator Kerry
Kerry: My pleasure
Voiceoverr: This was CNN’s Interview with President Elect and Massachusetts Senator John Kerry
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2019, 03:52:36 PM »

Feedback is welcome
Will post an update either tonight or tomorrow night
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2019, 09:17:59 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2019, 09:25:03 PM by Suburban New Jersey Conservative »

Jan 18, 2005

The Washington Wrap-Up

Senators Jim DeMint, Tom Coburn, and Sam Brownback say that they will vote against all Kerry nominees, other than Kean, Biden, and Hagel, for whom they are unsure

Republicans Thomas Craig, Jim Inhofe, Jeff Sessions, and John Sununu are discussing filibusters of Kerry nominees with GOP Senators

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist declines to say if he backs filibusters of Kerry nominees.
Senate Majority Whip Mitch McConnell says he "Could see [himself] backing some of these filibusters"

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, urged Republicans to "Stop playing political games with John Kerry's Presidency" and to "Give these nominees a fair hearing"

Senator Kerry and Senator Edwards have declined to comment on the situation

President Bush only said "Senator Kerry deserves a chance to govern", when asked about the comments. Bush also said he will be in Texas tomorrow, to deliver his farewell address
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2019, 09:45:57 PM »

Jan 19, 2005

President Bush Farewell Address

[Applause]

Thank You!

My fellow Americans this will be the last time that I speak to you as your President. For the past four years, it has been an honor to be your President. In a few days, a peaceful transition of power will take place. I would like all of us to wish well for President-Elect Kerry, his wife, Teresa, and his two daughters, Vanessa and Alexandra. I would also like to thank Laura and my parents for their support, as well as members of my adminstration. In the past three years, we have tirelessly worked to contain the terrorism threat. Throughout the past four years, I have had to make many difficult decisions. You may not agree with the decisions that I made, but I made them in the best interest of the nation. But, it is important to keep this nation moving forward. Our nation has a very bright future, and still has so much potential. We must continue to grow and remain involved overseas and we must continue to uphold the ideals of democracy all around the world. We must think towards the future. We must remember that we still as a nation have so much more that we can do. Thank you and God Bless America!

President Bush Approval:
Approve:     47%
Disapprove: 53%
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2019, 10:25:05 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2019, 12:15:26 AM by Suburban New Jersey Conservative »

Jan 20. 2005

CNN Special Coverage: Inauguration of John Kerry

Judy Woodruff: They are about to swear-in Senator Edwards

Dennis Hastert: Mr. Vice-President Elect, please raise your right hand and repeat after me, I Johnny Reid Edwards, do solemnly swear
John Edwards: I, Johnny Reid Edwards, do solemnly swear
Hastert: That I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
Edwards: That I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
Hastert: Against all enemies, foreign and domestic
Edwards: Against all enemies, foreign and domestic
Hastert: That I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same
Edwards: That I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same
Hastert: That I take this obligation, freely
Edwards: That I take this obligation, freely
Hastert: Without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion
Edwards: Without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion
Hastert: And that I will well and faithfully discharge
Edwards: And that I will well and faithfully discharge
Hastert: The duties of the office on which, I am about to enter
Edwards: The duties of the office on which, I am about to enter
Hastert: So, help me God
Edwards: So, help me God

Woodruff: That was House Speaker Dennis Hastert swearing in Senator Edwards, and he is now officially the Vice President of the United States

Inauguration Day will be multiple updates, Kerry's swearing in will be the next update, and the inaugural address, will be the one after that
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2019, 12:13:33 AM »

Jan 20, 2005

Judy Woodruff: They are about to swear in Senator Kerry

William Rehnquist: Please raise your right hand and repeat after me, I, John Forbes Kerry, do solemnly swear
John Kerry: I, John Forbes Kerry, do solemly swear
Rehnquist: That I will faithfully execute
Kerry: That I will faithfully execute
Rehnquist: The office of President of the United States
Kerry: The office of President of the United States
Rehnquist: And will to the best of my ability
Kerry: And will to the best of my ability
Rehnquist: Preserve, protect, and defend
Kerry: Preserve protect and defend
Rehnquist: The Constitution of the United States
Kerry: The Constitution of the United States
Rehnquist, So, help me God
Kerry: So, help me God

Woodruff: That was Chief Justice William Rehnquist swearing in Senator Kerry, he is now officially the President of the United States

Woodruff: And here is a live look at Presidenr Bush leaving Washington
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2019, 12:36:00 AM »

Jan 20, 2005

Judy Woodruff: President Kerry is about to give his inaugural address

John Kerry: Thank you, my fellow Americans, thank you Chief Justice Rehnquist, Speaker Hastert, and President Bush for your service to this great nation. Today, my fellow Americans, America faces many unsolved problems. We have taken the wrong strategy in Iraq and the Middle East. I will ask our allies to help us fight this war, otherwise I will find a way to responsibly pull out of it. We have placed a ban on stem-cell research, but people with severe burns and injuries need this research, as it is life-changing for them. I will end the war on the right-to-choose, and make sure that women can make decisions that impact them. I will work to end the threat of climate change by re-imposing the Clinton-era restrictions on coal. I see an America that is built for the future. I see an America that is built for everyone. I ask every American to join me in making this dream a reality, it is possible, but if we put the effort into making it possible. This great nation has has tough problems in the past and we have banded together to conquer them, we must do the same now. For the next four years, I will work tirelessly to create a better America and an America for everyone, I ask that you to join me in my dream, together as Americans we can make this dream a reality. We must however, work to end the problems, or else they will not end. Thank You and God Bless America!

Woodruff: President Kerry has just delivered the inaugural address, in which he stressed a better America and outlined a pretty mainstream Democratic agenda
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2019, 12:44:44 AM »

Jan 20, 2005

Congressional Luncheon

President Kerry had lunch with Congressional leadership, during this luncheon, Senate aides revealed that Sen Majority Leader Bill Frist had told Kerry he would schedule Committee votes for Cabinet members in less than two weeks, Frist also told Kerry that Republicans could easily sink one of his nominees, Frist also repeatedly refused to employ the nuclear option. Speaker Hastert told the President that many Republican Representatives are threatening to block signature initiatives in the house. Both Speaker Hastert and Majority Leader Frist urged Kerry to chart a nonpartisan course to avoid battles with Congress
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »

President Bush Concession Speech:

[Applause]

Thank you! Thank you!

I have just called Senator Kerry to congratulate him on his election victory.  While this is not the outcome we had fought for, we accept it. It has been an honor to be your President and to have represented all of you during this campaign. I would also like to take this moment to thank my family, Laura, my parents, Jeb, Barbara, and Jenna. I would also like to thank Dick Cheney for having been a great vice president for the past four years. Last, I would like to thank Karl Rove, Mark McKinnon, Karen Hughes, Ken Mehlman and our entire campaign staff for working effortlessly to win this election. I will work with Senator Kerry's transition team to ensure a smooth transition of power. Now I would like to call on all of us to let Senator Kerry govern with an open mind. I hope that Senator Kerry will be a very successful President. We must remember that these are difficult times for our country, and a time when we have to be united. Thank you and God Bless America!

I wonder what this means for TX Governor Rick Perry (R) in 2006 ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies