Which one of these shows had the best series finale? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:41:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which one of these shows had the best series finale? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which one of these shows had the best series finale?
The Sopranos

The Wire

Breaking Bad

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Which one of these shows had the best series finale?  (Read 913 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »

Certainly not Breaking Bad, which I like less and less as time goes by. Probably The Sopranos but the end montage of The Wire is perfect in every way.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:36:46 AM »

I'm almost convinced that the Breaking Bad finale was written by AMC executives to appease casual fans and people who strictly enjoy network television.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 01:54:46 PM »

I was under the impression that the Breaking Bad finale was all a fantasy and Walt either died in the car or that he was arrested and the rest of merely how he'd want to go out if given the choice... the whole "keys falling down from above" seemed way too contrived for the show. And the cops that disappeared randomly? I'm pretty certain Walt was arrested in New Hampshire.

Yea, that was purely fan speculation and debunked by Vince Gilligan.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »

And I reject Gilligan's interpretation of the finale. The only way it works is if it's Walt's dying fantasy.

Well that's the thing . . . it doesn't work. Obviously it should be left up to the viewer though (as most art). I personally can't buy into it myself so I just believe that it wasn't very well written. If you take it that way though, more power to you.

That's another problem. Gilligan shouldn't be shooting down people's interpretations. He shouldn't be talking about the finale at all.

Those "Talking Dead", Talking Bad", etc. shows are terrible. Do the viewers really need every aspect of each episode explained to them in detail? I'm sure "Talking Mad" will be the next one. Ugh.

Yes, I completely concur with both points. On the former, just look at David Chase following The Sopranos finale; the most he's said AFAIK is "It's all there."

The "Talking" shows are obviously awful and just a sign that AMC really has become The Worst. The parallels between AMC and HBO following their massive television hits are becoming quite obvious. HBO is just beginning to pick up the pieces now, nearly 7 years later.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:14:28 PM »

Mad Men is one of the few shows where it's later seasons are better than its earlier ones. The fifth was perfection, and the latest was still better than any other drama on TV (including Breaking Bad, imo).

And I reject Gilligan's interpretation of the finale. The only way it works is if it's Walt's dying fantasy.

Exactly. I can't understand how it was anything but Walt's dying fantasy. Otherwise, he got everything he wanted in the end, which wouldn't make any sense considering how the show had played out till that point.

As I said, it makes sense if AMC execs intervened and wanted to appease the most casual (and awful) fans. It's also possible that Gilligan's vision of the show was completely different than most and that's not for the best. I tend to think Gilligan's "brilliance" or whatever is overstated; he has some great DPs, directors and writers throughout the seasons that really made the show what it was.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies